Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The best way for it to work imo would be to play Guthrie on the right of the central midfield three (Cabaye-Tioté-Guthrie), with Jonás on the left and Hatem on the right of a front three. When we don't have the ball, Jonás slots into left midfield and Guthrie slides over to the right to protect the right back, rather than Ben Arfa, who's creativity we should really be making the most of by just letting him go and do what he does. There's a lot of graft in a midfield containing Jonás, Cabaye, Tioté and Guthrie 

That could work.

The best way for it to work imo would be to play Guthrie on the right of the central midfield three (Cabaye-Tioté-Guthrie), with Jonás on the left and Hatem on the right of a front three. When we don't have the ball, Jonás slots into left midfield and Guthrie slides over to the right to protect the right back, rather than Ben Arfa, who's creativity we should really be making the most of by just letting him go and do what he does. There's a lot of graft in a midfield containing Jonás, Cabaye, Tioté and Guthrie 

Sounds good like :thup:

Here's a thinker..

Now he has slimmed down, has more bite and retained his very good distribution could he perform an equally if not more effective Barton role for us?

Some thought he was wasted on the right in the championship (I thought he was very effective personally) but he looks a different player now.

He'd be better there than Obertan or Taylor, no doubt. He is a different player to Barton though, obviously. At least DG can perform well in central midfield, something that JB rarely managed

is it contraversial to say he still looks well overweight to me? like he has been playing the best football of his toon career this year, but like when walked on and you could see the double chin...i swear he looks like he has gained weight even though he is moving more freely...he cuold have better fitness but gained weight i guess...

is it contraversial to say he still looks well overweight to me? like he has been playing the best football of his toon career this year, but like when walked on and you could see the double chin...i swear he looks like he has gained weight even though he is moving more freely...he cuold have better fitness but gained weight i guess...

I think he just naturally has a podgy face. As long as he can move freely about the pitch like he was yesterday I don't see an issue.

Guest Roger Kint

Who is the one person saying no?  :lol:

As if our squad is big enough to not give a good backup a contract, especially considering how unlikely Ashley is to replace him.

Guest neesy111

Was excellent after Cabaye's forced departure.  Not sure why, but I think Cabaye and Guthrie are too similar to play together ???

Guest Haris Vuckic
Guthrie is reminiscent of Parker at times – and while he may never reach those heights, the Spurs midfielder is not a bad player to try to emulate.

What heights?  :lol:

The pirouette/back pass/repeat method.

Sounds decent.  The football on show was far better once we switched from the the long ball, rigid 4-4-2 that we've been pesevering with.  The 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 was really effective and with the interchanging in positions and movement we created a lot of space and openings.  That was with 3 of our better players missing as well. 

When Cabaye, Tiote and Ba are all back, I would love to see us try Smal's formation.  Pardew changed it, the full backs looked better and the whole crowd got a lift.  No reason why we can't try it again.

Back to 4-4-2 hoof ball vs Fulham?  :whistle:

Oh and Guthrie played well, thought Best, Santon and Ben Arfa were as good, but it was a tidy return to action.  Get him a new contract!

Guthrie is reminiscent of Parker at times – and while he may never reach those heights, the Spurs midfielder is not a bad player to try to emulate.

What heights?  :lol:

The pirouette/back pass/repeat method.

:lol: Where is this? He is nowt like parker... let alone the 'trying to reach his heights' bit

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/16/nufc-set-to-step-up-talks-with-danny-guthrie-72703-30129858/

Guthrie will be out of contract in June, but Pardew told the Chronicle: ”He’s out of contract, and I’ll look to have a conversation with him and his agent this week and try to secure him. I want him to stay.”

Hope he has more success this time.

No brainer for me. He's not injury prone, he's a very comfortable premiership player and i can't imagine his wage demands are massive.

He'd walk into every midfield in the bottom half of this league.