Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:aww: Used to be one of my favorite players in the Championship season and glad to see him playing well in the big league.

He was basically my favourite player in the Championship, but he disgusted me with his attitude and application last season in response to Hughton's admittedly woeful mismanagement of him. Been a completely different player under Pardew. He's lost at least a stone, looks very sharp, motivated and aware of those around him.

My favourite toon player atm.

Definitely should play in a three when we have Tioté back. At least in some games.

Ba is perfectly capable of playing up front on his own. He may not get as many goals, but we should control games a lot better. Hatem should chip in with a few goals if we play:

Ba

Jonás                              HBA

Guthrie Cabaye

Tioté

With the standard back four. Cabaye should get forward and score a few more playing like that, too

Not that again. It's no good controlling games if we don't score. 4-4-2 is out best system - especially for Ba - with everyone fit.

We've barely even tried anything other than 4-4-2 though, so how do you know?

Not that again. It's no good controlling games if we don't score. 4-4-2 is out best system - especially for Ba - with everyone fit.

By your own admission you think Ba will score less goals in that system. We simply can't afford that.

Thankfully pardew knows this.

By your own admission you think Ba will score less goals in that system. We simply can't afford that.

But my idea was to make up for that by getting Cabaye to play like Lampard and Ben Arfa like 2008 Messi :(

Probably the player I've been most mistaken about from nufc in my supporting time.he is very strong on the ball,reads the game well,passes superbly.voted three months ago that he could fuck off,huge error.I am delighted with him as third choice CM

I think a 3 man midfield is an option we should be prepared to use in games where we would otherwise be overrun there, glad it was a 'plan b' that worked here.

I'm a big fan of 4-3-3 at times but we have a 2 man midfield in cabaye and tiote whom are perfectly capable of bossing some games around midfield wise (see Man U game) and so adding a third then can simply blunt the attack.

impressed by him today but it was a point raised on irish commentary of the match and I kind of agree in that him and Cabaye seem to both want to do the same thing and get in each others way

because, as usual, none of our midfielders are prepared to make the move forward.

if we play a 433 its obvious that both cabaye and guthrie will be further up the pitch. Both capable to score a goal. Wouldn't be such a bad idea imo.

Wouldn't be opposed to such an idea. A midfield three of Tiote, Cabaye and Guthrie can work imo.

Been excellent again today, just as he has been for us in just about every game he's played this season.

Really like the way he directs the midfield, always pointing out the options for other players as well.

His passing is precise and he's always looking to use the ball well.

He's not a name but he's a very good midfield player who has grown in stature this year, and I think we really have to find a place for him in the starting lineup, his displays deserve it.

A midfield three, as has been suggested with Tiote and Cabaye, could be a wonderfully effective blend, and a match for any other premiership midfield.

Generally I think 433 is going to get the best out of the players we have. Jonas and Hatem also looked good in that formation today.

He has definitely made things a bit difficult, I was going to say like S Taylor but there isn't quite as much to think about there (that's no disrespect to Williamson who I really rate highly).

Would this work as a front 6?

Ben Arfa      Ba      Jonas

Guthrie      Tiote      Cabaye

?

I reckon it would be worth a go.

Also Best could play in the Ba or HBA role if required and I reckon even a wide position of a front 3 could get more of the much maligned Obertan *tin hat*. Raylor could also do a job in Cabaye's/Guthrie's position without having to change the formation.

I think a 3 man midfield is an option we should be prepared to use in games where we would otherwise be overrun there, glad it was a 'plan b' that worked here.

I'm a big fan of 4-3-3 at times but we have a 2 man midfield in cabaye and tiote whom are perfectly capable of bossing some games around midfield wise (see Man U game) and so adding a third then can simply blunt the attack.

that's not saying much though considering their central pairing was made up of carrick and giggs.

no wonder fergie had to bring back crusty old boy gingernuts.

The best way for it to work imo would be to play Guthrie on the right of the central midfield three (Cabaye-Tioté-Guthrie), with Jonás on the left and Hatem on the right of a front three. When we don't have the ball, Jonás slots into left midfield and Guthrie slides over to the right to protect the right back, rather than Ben Arfa, who's creativity we should really be making the most of by just letting him go and do what he does. There's a lot of graft in a midfield containing Jonás, Cabaye, Tioté and Guthrie