Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BooBoo

I think the problem with Guthrie is that he doesnt really have any outstanding attributes. He's simply "alright" at most things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Guthrie - No rush over contract

Magpies midfielder to look at options in January

Newcastle midfielder Danny Guthrie is in no hurry to put pen to paper on a new deal, despite the fact he is out of contract at St James' Park at the end of the season.

The 24-year-old has struggled to push his way into the first team this term, with Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote in impressive form.

Guthrie, who was hindered by fitness problems last season, is focused on impressing in training and says he will look at his contract situation in January.

The Toon man said: "I've got six months left at Christmas, so we'll assess it in January. I'm not worried about deals or things like that - there's no rush.

"I'm happy with how things are going, and I just want to get back in the team. It was frustrating last season because of all the injuries.

"It was an ankle injury, and I was out eight weeks or so. It was the same injury I had at the back end of last season. But hopefully, I've put them behind me. I've got to wait for the opportunity to get in the team and stake my claim."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11678_7235359,00.html

Still think he's got some talent. The early bits we've seen of him were promising. The season in the Championship - he's bossed the midfield there.

Think another contract on some sort of the same wages wouldn't be that bad. Probably loan him out 3 months to a Championship side to gain match fitness and confidence. Think he isn't worse than Gosling tbh.

He's only on about 5k a week according to reports, however as we've got Abeid coming through, and Gosling who offers something different. It's probably best for all if he moved on, especially if he's got anything about him he'll want to go anyway for the sake of his career.

Guest Heneage

Is he really adequate cover though?

I mean in his performances last season he was ok, mediocre perhaps. Now we have the likes of Vuckic and Abeid I'd rather see young players gain minutes than just put him in there because he is 'ok'.

I mean in his performances last season he was ok, mediocre perhaps. Now we have the likes of Vuckic and Abeid I'd rather see young players gain minutes than just put him in there because he is 'ok'.

still wouldn't mind having him as a squad player, does a decent job most of the time when called on

still wouldn't mind having him as a squad player, does a decent job most of the time when called on

I feel the same. The lad has a decent range of passing so can do an okay job when he is needed. Though I guess for his sake, he has to move on.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We can get much better than Guthrie. And surely next season it will be completely morally wrong to have the likes of Abeid and Vuckic limited by Guthrie.

I wouldn't mind starting him when Tiote is gone. He seems to play his best when he sits back deeper than the other CM, but doesn't necessarily play in a defensive mid roll. Had some of his better performances there last season and started in that roll during our best stretch during the Championship season. Ideally, Gosling will be good enough to slot in that roll in Jan/Feb, but Guthrie shouldn't be ruled out.

Guthrie's been fantastic value if it's true he only picks up 5k a week. While he's not good enough for a club like this he'd be a great buy for a lower profile team. I hope he gets a decent move and wish him well.

Guthrie's been fantastic value if it's true he only picks up 5k a week. While he's not good enough for a club like this he'd be a great buy for a lower profile team. I hope he gets a decent move and wish him well.

Fairly certain his wage was confirmed as part of a court hearing or something.

Don't see why we should get rid. Decent player (regardless of what the 'wooden heart' brigade say) and not exactly denting the wage budget. I like him.

We're never going to get 11 quality players and 11+ quality backups so what he's needed for, he's more than capable of fulfilling for now IMO.