Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No way should Tiote be walking straight back into the team the way Guthrie has been playing of late

Think we could rotate a bit when all players are back on board, also from a formation point of view. Man Utd done it for years. Carrick, Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, Anderson.... all changing and playing depending on the the team they're playing.

Fair enough, but i thought he was tremendously unlucky a few months ago after Tiote had came back from injury and replaced Guthrie straight away.

I'm glad that there is competition there though :thup:

Btw I agree with you about Tiote not coming back and getting his place in the first XI straight back. Just thought about a bit of rotation in general. Prevents injuries as well.

Guest Craig-NUFC

A few more games like this and an England call-up may be on the cards.

Not whilst Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and Parker are still around

Guthrie has completely won me over from a year ago. He's always been a good footballer with genuine technique, but his hunger was a doubt for me. Putting him with other good players has made a huge difference and while it might have sounded daft a month ago, why not give him some more games and give Tiote or Cabaye a rest for the odd game?

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Great goal today and he really has been a revelation for us.

But his conditioning is shit.  He always seems winded after about 55 minutes or so and it really does affect his quality.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I disagree.  In other games when he's covered for Tiote/Yohan, he's always dragging it at the end.  Hands on his head all the time, poor passing, bad decision making, etc.  For me, it's clearly a stamina issue. If you went back and looked at the games where he's played 90 for us, you'd see it.

I disagree.  In other games when he's covered for Tiote/Yohan, he's always dragging it at the end.  Hands on his head all the time, poor passing, bad decision making, etc.  For me, it's clearly a stamina issue. If you went back and looked at the games where he's played 90 for us, you'd see it.

He was overhitting and missing his passes in the first half, remember the break we had where he drilled it 10 yards ahead of HBA who was level with him...was that stamina?

It was more of a mental breakdown I thought. His stamina in the games before this one was never in question.

This :thup: he lost the plot in the second half.

yeah. actually thought cabaye was struggling more in terms of stamina 2nd half. this game was a microcosm of guthrie's career for us basically - impress early on with undeniably good technique and passing, cap it off with a well taken long range goal, and then, as things start to go against you, let your head drop, make a silly foul and drift out of the game forever 2 yards off the pace.

A few more games like this and an England call-up may be on the cards.

Not whilst Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and Parker are still around

And Scholes.

Oh god this has just made me realise that his return could in fact mean he wants in on the Euro 2012 squad. I mean he went on an on and on and on and on.......about how it was a mistake that he turned down the chance to go the world cup.

To be fair i don't care if he did go as England are crap anyway but i think the media would get pretty tiresome.

Work rate has always been his biggest weakness so it's good to see that he's improved in that respect.

I do kind of worry because Cabaye-Tiote is going to be our long-term CM partnership and if he keeps playing this well, he's not going to be content with being third-choice. Contract negotiations coming up as well.

Surely not going to ever, ever be called up for England though :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It does seem far fetched to think about him being in the England setup, but when you think about our CM options...

Gerrard - 30+

Lampard - 30+

Parker - 30+

Barry 30

Milner

Henderson?!

HUDDLESTONE?!

Who else?

He was overhitting and missing his passes in the first half, remember the break we had where he drilled it 10 yards ahead of HBA who was level with him...was that stamina?

No, but if you look at the Chelsea match and Everton match (as 2 that I can remember) he was looking very knackered after 70 minutes or so.