Steven Taylor: I'm staying

Crumpy Gunt

Guest Heneage

Mirror article on Taylor and Enrique staying: TRUE

Mirror article on Yanks being close to takeover: FALSE

;D

It's called bias for a reason.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=newcastle-s-steven-taylor-i-m-staying-put%26method=full%26objectid=21634692%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

30 August 2009

Newcastle's Steven Taylor: I'm staying put

EXCLUSIVE

Alan Oliver

Geordie boy Steven Taylor is staying at St James' Park.

Newcastle's former England Under-21 defender has been linked with several clubs and was widely tipped to move before Tuesday's deadline.

But Taylor insisted:"I'm going nowhere. I'm a Geordie and this is my club. This is where I want to be.

"I've heard all the talk about me leaving in the past couple of weeks but no-one has contacted either me or my representatives and that suits me down to the ground.

"I've even heard I'll be going in the January transfer window but as far as I'm concerned I'll be here for the rest of the season - and longer if possible.

"I am committed to Newcastle United and I hope I prove that every time I pull on the black and white shirt."

Taylor's form is one of the main reasons why Newcastle are unbeaten so far this season and he says: "There's a buzz about the place again and I really believe we can go straight back up."

Nigel Pearson's Leicester City visit St James' Park tomorrow night and Taylor will be keen to impress his former coach.

He said: "I played here under Nigel when I broke into the first team and he was fantastic to work with. Any team Nigel manages will be difficult to beat.''

:thup:

Wonder where all this talk of interest in Taylor has come from seeing as neither Aston Villa or Everton made a move?

John Gibson maybe - apparently he told some people that Taylor was at Goodison discussing terms the other night...

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-s-Steven-Taylor-going-nowhere-article137969.html

Newcastle's Steven Taylor 'going nowhere'

Published 23:05 29/08/09 by Brian McNally

Much-coveted Newcastle defender Steven Taylor has told his Premier League suitors: "I'm going nowhere."

As cash-strapped Newcastle attempt to sell more top stars before Tuesday's transfer deadline, Taylor has insisted that he will honour his contract and remain part of the Magpies' Championship promotion fight.

Taylor signed a new deal last year which ties him to the Magpies until June 2011, but that has not stopped clubs such as Everton, Aston Villa, Liverpool and Chelsea showing an interest him.

The 23-year-old defender was upset by the sudden departure of Kevin Keegan almost a year ago and then the failure to appoint Alan Shearer as manager for the start of the season.

Shearer has tipped 23-year-old Taylor as a future captain of Newcastle and it was on the former England skippers advice that he pulled out of this seasons European under-21 championships to treat  a bothersome Achilles tendon injury.

A source close to the former England under-21 skipper said: "Steven wants Newcastle fans to know he is desperate to stay at Newcastle. He was part of the side that was relegated and he feels a duty to  try and put that right by helping the club to promotion.

"None of the talk about him leaving the club has come from him and he would like his future to be at St. James' Park."

Taylor's declaration of intent has been bolstered by a similar one from Spaniard Jose Enrique- the only left back at the club- and means that Newcastle must look elsewhere to further reduce their wage bill.

Caretaker boss Chris Hughton has confirmed that he is trying to bring Danish international forward Peter Lovenkrands back to Newcastle before Tuesday's deadline.

He's a free agent, why would it have to be before this Tuesday? The window closing doesn't apply to frees and loans. Lazy. Journalism.

Glad, he's a key player for us now I feel, IF we could get back in the premiership after a year then I think his career will go from strength to strength. I know he's a bit rough and ready but he has the ability.

Guest neesy111

Glad, he's a key player for us now I feel, IF we could get back in the premiership after a year then I think his career will go from strength to strength. I know he's a bit rough and ready but he has the ability.

he was also the fifth best scoring defender in the premiership over the last 2 seasons

he was also the fifth best scoring defender in the premiership over the last 2 seasons

You too were clearly watching SSN when the Lescott transfer was happening :pow:

We better get promoted this season then because I can't imagine Taylor (and a few others that we want to keep) hanging around for more than one season in the Championship.

I think we better be pushing for promotion come the January window to be honest.  If not I think a few will leave then.

• 2 weeks later...
aylor: I was in bits at thought of leaving Toon

Sep 12 2009  by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

STEVEN TAYLOR has revealed he was left “in pieces” in the build-up to transfer deadline day as Premier League vultures circled St James’s Park hoping to prise him away from Newcastle United.

Taylor was heavily tipped to join some of his former team-mates after Habib Beye, Sebastien Bassong, Obafemi Martins and Damien Duff were all moved on as part of a mass clear-out at St James’s Park.

The Toon defender, speaking for the first time officially since the transfer window was bolted shut last month, admits he goes into United’s trip to Cardiff City with the weight lifted off his shoulders.

And in a bizarre twist he has revealed that it was Sheffield Wednesday’s fans that made him even more determined to dig his heels in and stay on at Gallowgate, even though Everton, Liverpool and West Ham had all made inquires about him over the summer.

After listening to Sheff Wed fans back go through their repertoire of terrace anthems while waiting to pick up a man-of-the-match award on the Milburn Stand last month, Taylor says it brought home to him that he couldn’t play for anybody but United.

He told the Chronicle: “Two weeks before the end of the transfer window it was the Sheffield Wednesday game, it was horrible.

I was man-of-the-match, and went up to get the award, and the Sheffield Wednesday fans were singing all of their club songs.

“I couldn’t come out and saying anything in the Press at the time, but I think every defender was being linked to clubs, and my name got mentioned.

“But I’m happy. I’m playing my football here, and I’ve got a smile on my face.

“My friends and family are up here, and I’m enjoying my football.”

Taylor, like Alan Smith, Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique, Joey Barton and Steve Harper, is desperate to put the wrongs of last season, right, by getting promotion this season.

And he feels that being haunted by the final game of the season at Aston Villa can help drive him on this term.

He said: “I was the last player to kick a ball in the Premier League for this club, and that made it worse. I’ll never forget that.

“Villa were playing for their lives the way they played – they were on fire. I wished they had taken it lightly.

“I was devastated, but we’ve got to move on – it’s as simple as that.

“I think we have done that now. I honestly believe we’ll get back up as champions.

“I was in the team that got us relegated – and I want to be in the team that gets us back up.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/09/12/taylor-i-was-in-bits-at-thought-of-leaving-toon-72703-24671526/

“Villa were playing for their lives the way they played – they were on fire. I wished they had taken it lightly.

seem to remember them almost trying to give us a chance, it was a hot day so maybe it went to his head.