Newcastle v Leicester 31/08/09 - Pre Match Thread [19:45 KO Live on Sky Sports]

Fatwax

Harper hasn't done much for those clean sheets like that you wouldn't expect any other keeper to do. More down to the team than anything.

Fact is Krul has the most potential, and I'd rather give him the first team experience now than later. So what if he makes the odd mistake, at least he's learning something, he won't do that on the bench.

???

So you'd gladly lose say... 9 points this season just in order to bed Krul in?

Unlikely to cost that many points as we are too good.

please stop it man, me ribs are killing us.

Krul has made three appearances for us, two where he was fucking class and one where he was abysmal. I don't think any of us can get a proper measure of his ability until he's made a handful of starts in a row.

Harper is the number one choice, he was always going to be more than good enough for this league

Guest icemanblue

A lot of people who weren't at the Huddersfield game seem to have some fairly strong views on it.

:lol:

This. Not quite sure where they got their feed, or full match highlights from.

Should be an interesting line up for this one. Nile Ranger looks like being the only fit striker so he's nailed on to start.

Imagine if Kinnear was in charge. He'd probably start with Steven Taylor as a lone striker and leave Nile as an unused sub. Bit like Hoddle at Spurs a while ago, playing a fucking CB up front and leaving the kids on the bench and wrecking their confidence

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Colocinni  Enrique

R Taylor    Guthrie  Smith    Barton

Nolan

Ranger

Subs:  Krul, Kadar, Tozer, Butt, Geremi, Donaldson, Vuckic

Should be an interesting line up for this one. Nile Ranger looks like being the only fit striker so he's nailed on to start.

Imagine if Kinnear was in charge. He'd probably start with Steven Taylor as a lone striker and leave Nile as an unused sub. Bit like Hoddle at Spurs a while ago, playing a fucking CB up front and leaving the kids on the bench and wrecking their confidence

And yet you've just suggested that we play a reserve team midfielder up front and leave Ranger on the bench. :kinnear:

And yet you've just suggested that we play a reserve team midfielder up front and leave Ranger on the bench. :kinnear:

Donaldson is in the Smith role of being able to play CM and also as a striker. Ranger's just had a start too, not to mention numerous sub appearances so far this season. Donaldson hasn't appeared yet (to my knowledge) and it's surely worth chucking him in to see what he's made of.

Imagine if Kinnear was in charge. He'd probably start with Steven Taylor as a lone striker and leave Nile as an unused sub. Bit like Hoddle at Spurs a while ago, playing a f***ing CB up front and leaving the kids on the bench and wrecking their confidence

Donaldson is in the Smith role of being able to play CM and also as a striker. Ranger's just had a start too, not to mention numerous sub appearances so far this season. Donaldson hasn't appeared yet (to my knowledge) and it's surely worth chucking him in to see what he's made of.

Not in the Premiership though. He should be a substitute at best.

Imagine if Kinnear was in charge. He'd probably start with Steven Taylor as a lone striker and leave Nile as an unused sub. Bit like Hoddle at Spurs a while ago, playing a f***ing CB up front and leaving the kids on the bench and wrecking their confidence

Not in the Premiership though. He should be a substitute at best.

not in the premiership

Ranger's done fine in every game that he's appeared though (didn't see the Huddersfield game so won't comment on that).

I think we'll struggle big time. Leicester are solid at the back and with Xisco, Shola and Carroll all big doubts I think we'll struggle to score.

We'll probably have to go.

Harper

Simpson      Taylor      Coloccini    Enrique

Taylor        Guthrie    Nolan        LuaLua

Ranger          Smith

Hopefully one our 3 senior strikers can pull thorugh and give us something upfront, otherwise I can only see our first league loos of the season.

I think we'll struggle big time. Leicester are solid at the back and with Xisco, Shola and Carroll all big doubts I think we'll struggle to score.

Harper

Ranger          Smith

Hopefully one our 3 senior strikers can pull thorugh and give us something upfront, otherwise I can only see our first league loos of the season.

I don't think we'll lose but this is one game where we might not have it all our own way.

I think we'll sneak it 1-0 because Leicester are a hard team to break down.

Harper

Ranger          Smith

No Barton?

Harper

Ranger          Smith

No Barton?

Didnt play the other night and may not be 100% after his injury. Nolans been among the goals recently and playing well and Guthrie had a good game the other night.

Harper hasn't done much for those clean sheets like that you wouldn't expect any other keeper to do. More down to the team than anything.

Fact is Krul has the most potential, and I'd rather give him the first team experience now than later. So what if he makes the odd mistake, at least he's learning something, he won't do that on the bench.

You're insane, Harper made two brilliant stops against Sheff Wed and looked solid against Reading and Palace

fact is, with goalkeeping it's to an extent about knowing what NOT to do, and Krul demonstrated poor judgement 3 times against WBA and at least 3 times against Huddersfield (costing us 3 goals)

honestly, what a stupid thing to say