Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Guest Craig-NUFC

That statement is so badly written.

But aye, good luck to him. Like him as a player and is supposed to be a decent bloke too.

Drying game: Stoke facing probe into new tactic but won't throw in the towel

By Sami Mokbel

Last updated at 10:30 PM on 12th December 2011

Stoke City have come out fighting in defence of their latest controversial ploy to make the most of their long-throw tactic.

Footage from the 2-1 win against Tottenham on Sunday showed Ryan Shotton drying the ball with a towel underneath his shirt before taking throw-ins.

The plan worked a treat as he caused havoc in the Spurs penalty area, but the novel idea was under scrutiny by the football authorities as Premier League rules state that both clubs must agree to using towels during a game.

The FA are looking to establish whether Stoke’s tactic leaves them open to disciplinary procedures, although it is unclear whether jurisdiction rested with the FA or Premier League. Clarification is expected on Tuesday, but Stoke are adamant that their innovative method of ensuring Shotton was able to dry the ball was within the rules.

A club spokesman said: ‘It’s a towelling vest that is the same colour as the shirt. The only stipulation is that, as long as the undergarment is the same colour as the predominant colour of the shirt, then it’s not a problem. It does not stipulate what fabric it has to be.’

During the home defeat to Queens Park Rangers on November 19, opposing manager Neil Warnock demanded equal use of towels, as Stoke usually supply matchday ball boys with them to ensure the balls can be dried before throws are taken.

Warnock’s intervention is likely to have triggered the decision to supply Shotton with his own drying device rather than having towels on the touchline against Spurs.

Whether Stoke are cleared to continue with the ploy remains to be seen, but it illustrates how the club are determined to reap maximum benefit from the throws that have become a major feature of their game. Manager Tony Pulis has been keen to make the most of the freakish throws into the box from Rory Delap and, more recently, Shotton.

Last season, Stoke’s pitch was one of the smallest in the top flight, measuring 100x64metres — the minimum dimensions permissible. That looked set to change this season after the club qualified for the Europa League, as pitches in UEFA  competition must measure 105x68m.

However, to ensure that the club continued to make the most of Delap and Shotton’s potent throws, they have marked out two pitches at the Britannia Stadium — one for domestic competition and another for European games.

Stoke’s reliance on long throws has been widely criticised. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been outspoken about the tactic and even suggested the idea of scrapping throw-ins altogether.

Speaking in 2008, he said: ‘(The rule I would change would be) maybe to play throw-ins by foot. Why not? I think it would make the game quicker.

‘For example at Stoke, for Rory Delap it is like kicking the ball. It is a little bit of an unfair advantage. He is using a strength that is usually not a strength in football.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2073311/Stoke-facing-probe-use-towels-v-Tottenham.html#ixzz1gQr5CL1y

I don't agree with Wenger about outlawing throw ins. But it certainly is absolutely pathetic that Stoke are so desperate for edges like that. With the money Pulis has spent, he could've easily created a fair PL team without that kind of bullshit, and that's what I hate the most.

I don't agree with Wenger about outlawing throw ins. But it certainly is absolutely pathetic that Stoke are so desperate for edges like that. With the money Pulis has spent, he could've easily created a fair PL team without that kind of bullshit, and that's what I hate the most.

:thup:

It is a little bit of an unfair advantage. He is using a strength that is usually not a strength in football.

That is a stupid thing to say. Typical Wenger, really.

Other than it being shitty ugly football, I don't have a problem with Stoke using it to their advantage. What isn't okay though, is for them to be taking 30 seconds almost every time the ball goes out.

Fuckin Stoke... spat their dummies out because we used their towels..

-20 points deduction for blatent cuntery should suffice.

:thup: Opposing teams should just get their designated throw in takers to wear the same type of undervests, just match them at everything they do and watch Pulis cry like the babies he has saved on his computer.

Fuckin Stoke... spat their dummies out because we used their towels..

-20 points deduction for blatent cuntery should suffice.

:thup: Opposing teams should just get their designated throw in takers to wear the same type of undervests, just match them at everything they do and watch Pulis cry like the babies he has saved on his computer.

I hate Pulis man, but come on, nothing wrong with that.

Real shame about Fletcher. He's really turned round the popular opinion that he was too shit for Man U and just Fergie's token Scottish boy, and proved that he's actually a bit good. Hope he gets through it and plays again when ready.

So how bad is this thing Fletcher has? To a medical novice like me, its just long words. I know what bowels are though....

There's no cure to it and it can kill. But, if managed well, he could lead a normal life for many years. Every case is different really.

It is possible that he may have to have part/all of his bowel removed.

So how bad is this thing Fletcher has? To a medical novice like me, its just long words. I know what bowels are though....

There's no cure to it and it can kill. But, if managed well, he could lead a normal life for many years. Every case is different really.

No shit. :undecided:

That's pretty bad :(