Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

I havent had chance to read through it all, but did they go into detail as to why they didn't reject the takeover on the basis that they clearly feel the consortium were providing inaccurate information? I still don't understand how there couldnt be a decision. I also don't understand the difference between this structure and Man City's.

Nothing wrong with the structure of this deal but for some reason PIF are unwilling to agree that MBS is the ultimate controlling party. Which is bonkers when he obviously is. They are hiding something, whether that something is piracy or barbaric tendencies who knows.

Nothing wrong with the structure of this deal but for some reason PIF are unwilling to agree that MBS is the ultimate controlling party. Which is bonkers when he obviously is. They are hiding something, whether that something is piracy or barbaric tendencies who knows.

I think we all know it's both. And fuck knows what else.

Although the PL probably only care about the piracy.

I havent had chance to read through it all, but did they go into detail as to why they didn't reject the takeover on the basis that they clearly feel the consortium were providing inaccurate information? I still don't understand how there couldnt be a decision. I also don't understand the difference between this structure and Man City's.

I’ve read most of what’s been released and it looks to be like the consortium have given them the opportunity to play it like this by pulling out. They mentioned again offering arbitration on that singular issue and reading between the lines that says to me it would have been rejected on that basis unless they could offer a different solution.

I can’t understand why the consortium didn’t stay and force them to make a decision. Hopefully we hear from them on the back of this.

I’m not getting the impression any side of it is that interested in re-entering and finding a common ground though.

I’ve read most of what’s been released and it looks to be like the consortium have given them the opportunity to play it like this by pulling out. They mentioned again offering arbitration on that singular issue and reading between the lines that says to me it would have been rejected on that basis unless they could offer a different solution.

I can’t understand why the consortium didn’t stay and force them to make a decision. Hopefully we hear from them on the back of this.

I’m not getting the impression any side of it is that interested in re-entering and finding a common ground though.

But that doesn't explain why they didnt give a decision, which was what I was hoping to see as an outcome from this. They offered PIF arbritation, PIF rejected. My reading is that PL were willing to wait it out at the expense of the club they claim to be protecting. 17 weeks to get to that point. I'm still none the wiser on anything.

Guest Cheesy Beans

The Trust appear to be applying pressure on PIF/the consortium to respond - interesting to see how that goes.

It’s not that they’ve got something to hide, they just can’t ask their head of state with a divine right to submit himself to a private organisations governance and checking processes.

Imagine the uproar for example in this country if a private organisation in Italy asked to vet the integrity of the Queen.

It’s not that they’ve got something to hide, they just can’t ask their head of state with a divine right to submit himself to a private organisations governance and checking processes.

Imagine the uproar for example in this country if a private organisation in Italy asked to vet the integrity of the Queen.

Of course they can. Would would they not? Why would the queen not do the same if she wanted to buy a club too?  It’s bullshit. This guy hires and fires the directors of the PIF. He will be the owner and he needs to be tested. It is really simple and I find it quite unbelievable they thought they would get away with not doing this.

At the end of the day it is sad PIF decided to pull out. Stavely was mad at that fact so she muttered lots of things. As high as my hopes were for this takeover it is dead. Let's move on there is no point now to even slaughtered the PL. PIF couldnt even wait to fight they pull the plug. 

I'm sure they did their best but reading through that email they sent yesterday it felt like their man went into the fight (and that's what it is/was) armed with a feather duster instead of boxing gloves, tickled Masters for a bit, and was easily kept at bay with generic answers.

Everyone needs to moderate their expectations of the Trust in this sort of scenario.  Yes, we'd like the Trust to go into a meeting with the PL with all guns blazing, but there are consequences to doing that.

The Trust wants to be a long term representative of NUFC fans to the club, the League, and to other parties that impact the lives of NUFC fans via their impact on the club.  This means that in any action they undertake they have to be mindful of maintaining a working relationship with all of those other parties.

If NUST had gone into this PL meeting, which was (as I understand it) not just NUST's meeting but was actually a meeting between all club fan groups and the PL, with all guns blazing then NUST would have likely burned any bridge they had to communicate with the league and would potentially have also pissed off the other supporter groups that were also in the meeting.  So I am sure that how NUST handled this meeting was very much tempered by that concern.  Now, this doesn't mean that NUST has to be super nice and give the PL only easy questions - it just means that any tougher questioning needs to be done very carefully.

My personal opinion is that I think the NUST could have asked some better/more-robust questions (e.g. how an allegedly confidential process seemed to result in leaks that quite obviously came from someone with affiliations to the PL), but I am also understanding of why NUST could not ask anything as aggressively as many fans would like.

I also think that NUST could be doing a bit more by way of liaising with other fans groups - highlighting that in the future this may be them, wishing for a dream buyout, only to find themselves in the same situation that NUFC fans have found themselves.  NUST could even suggest that NUFC fans will be keen to see any other club subject to a future takeover bid being scrutinized to the same degree that PCP/Reubens/PIF were scrutinized (i.e. what goes around comes around).

So in short, I think NUST could have asked some tougher questions - but fans need to moderate their expectations as to exactly how hard NUST can go whilst wanting to maintain a working relationship with the PL and the club.

(Before anyone asks - I say this as a paid up life member of NUST.)

Everyone needs to moderate their expectations of the Trust in this sort of scenario.  Yes, we'd like the Trust to go into a meeting with the PL with all guns blazing, but there are consequences to doing that.

The Trust wants to be a long term representative of NUFC fans to the club, the League, and to other parties that impact the lives of NUFC fans via their impact on the club.  This means that in any action they undertake they have to be mindful of maintaining a working relationship with all of those other parties.

If NUST had gone into this PL meeting, which was (as I understand it) not just NUST's meeting but was actually a meeting between all club fan groups and the PL, with all guns blazing then NUST would have likely burned any bridge they had to communicate with the league and would potentially have also p*ssed off the other supporter groups that were also in the meeting.  So I am sure that how NUST handled this meeting was very much tempered by that concern.  Now, this doesn't mean that NUST has to be super nice and give the PL only easy questions - it just means that any tougher questioning needs to be done very carefully.

My personal opinion is that I think the NUST could have asked some better/more-robust questions (e.g. how an allegedly confidential process seemed to result in leaks that quite obviously came from someone with affiliations to the PL), but I am also understanding of why NUST could not ask anything as aggressively as many fans would like.

I also think that NUST could be doing a bit more by way of liaising with other fans groups - highlighting that in the future this may be them, wishing for a dream buyout, only to find themselves in the same situation that NUFC fans have found themselves.  NUST could even suggest that NUFC fans will be keen to see any other club subject to a future takeover bid being scrutinized to the same degree that PCP/Reubens/PIF were scrutinized (i.e. what goes around comes around).

So in short, I think NUST could have asked some tougher questions - but fans need to moderate their expectations as to exactly how hard NUST can go whilst wanting to maintain a working relationship with the PL and the club.

(Before anyone asks - I say this as a paid up life member of NUST.)

We have liased with other Trusts - I am sure it is no surprise the majority are not overly sympathetic to where we find ourselves.

You also have to approach these meetings strategically and based on facts. If you go in all guns blazing for example on a corruption line you get shut down after 30 seconds and the conversation is closed down by the PL and they move on.

Sadly I’m actually a bit surprised at that. I thought trusts from other fan bases, especially outside of the top couple of clubs, would have viewed this as a potential long term issue that could also effect them.

What’s your feelings Greg[/member] from the meeting with the PL and what’s the overall feeling of the trust coming out of it? Assuming you can pass that info on.

Keep the faith people. One day we will get owners that care about the club, that engage the fanbase.

We know what the club can be like when all singing from same hymn sheet, you can almost weaponise the fanbase.

We don't need to be the richest club in the world, we just need careful and thoughtful investment and I'm positive this club will be a force. Just hope it doesn't take so long that the irreparable damage is done.

I think the Trust have been superb tbh, along with any other member of the fanbase who has responded in some way to Staveley's presumed rallying call - be it signing a petition, spamming the PL Twitter, galvanising MPs or sitting down with Richard Masters. It's been a brilliant effort and I think the fanbase has responded as well as it could have been expected to do so given the context.

Assuming this has all been part of some ploy to force a decision, and assuming there are still conversations going on in the background, I think we can reasonably say that the fans have done their bit and the buyers/sellers need to regain full control of the reigns. The PL have made their public case and then reiterated it, it would seem highly unlikely that we're going to get any more change out of them now.

If there's anything left in the deal it's up to the parties who are directly involved to actually make it happen.

Mind you, my confidence has absolutely plummeted and my money would be on this takeover not happening. I just hope we get some definitive closure otherwise we're just still being led down the garden path.

The Trust have done really well to get answers out of the premier league.

The ball is very much now in the court of the bidders.

They need to either put up or shut up,.

Its pretty clear they will shut up.

I think the Trust have been superb tbh, along with any other member of the fanbase who has responded in some way to Staveley's presumed rallying call - be it signing a petition, spamming the PL Twitter, galvanising MPs or sitting down with Richard Masters. It's been a brilliant effort and I think the fanbase has responded as well as it could have been expected to do so given the context.

Assuming this has all been part of some ploy to force a decision, and assuming there are still conversations going on in the background, I think we can reasonably say that the fans have done their bit and the buyers/sellers need to regain full control of the reigns. The PL have made their public case and then reiterated it, it would seem highly unlikely that we're going to get any more change out of them now.

If there's anything left in the deal it's up to the parties who are directly involved to actually make it happen.

Mind you, my confidence has absolutely plummeted and my money would be on this takeover not happening. I just hope we get some definitive closure otherwise we're just still being led down the garden path.

I think I've missed something that's making a number of people say this sort of thing. We've had a withdrawal statement from PIF and a statement from the PL stating that the test is not an ongoing process. Why do people think there's still a chance of the deal happening?

Not a dig at you; as I say, a number of people are saying the same thing.

This takeover is dead. Unless Staveley can find different backers (not gonna be a quick thing anyway) then Ashley's here long term.