Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Thing is, I do feel for him personally because there's nothing different he can do for the goals being conceded, he's just too old, too slow and too small to physically do anything about them.

Exactly, he hasn't made a genuine howler to concede a goal, but a good premier league keeper would have saved at least a couple.

Thing is, I do feel for him personally because there's nothing different he can do for the goals being conceded, he's just too old, too slow and too small to physically do anything about them.

Exactly, he hasn't made a genuine howler to concede a goal, but a good premier league keeper would have saved at least a couple.

He did arguably the biggest howler of the season but got away with it :lol:

I like Harper, always did but he's clearly past it, can't wait for Krul to get back.

He did arguably the biggest howler of the season but got away with it :lol:

I like Harper, always did but he's clearly past it, can't wait for Krul to get back.

Oh yea the dribbling was a farce, it's just the goals he's conceded I don't believe he could have done much more with, but he just isn't good enough for this level. When he goes down, it's reminds me of how I was taught to fall in drama at school - kind of in three stages with a twist in the middle to ensure minimum impact with the ground.

Guest BooBoo

Typical of our luck really.

Krul gets injured. Hitherto maligned Elliott comes in and looks decent. Gets injured.

I shudder every time I see Harper donning the gloves. Good bloke but a liability in goal. Please let's see Krul back fit for the mackems.

I still have quite a bit of faith in Harper. Aye, it's quite clear that he's not the keeper he used to be but I don't think he could have done much about the goals today. The first two were mistakes from our defenders and the third goal was a cracking cross-come-shot imo.

As a short term measure, I'd still start Harper. Needless to say though, the sooner Krul comes back, the better it is for us.

That "I've got this covered" thing he does is a shambles. In the first half, possibly Welbeck smashed the ball across the 6 yard box and he just put his hands up and left it. Anyone running in had a tap in. Why keep doing this?

Fucking knee-jerk-tastic in here.

Harper has a good game, he's reliable and a great servant to the club as well as a good backup to Krul

Harper concedes goals against one of the best teams in the land, and he's past it and a liability

Elliott plays badly in pre-season, he's shit.

Elliott plays well in 45 minutes, and suddenly he's a massive loss when he's injured.

Obviously Harper's attempt to dribble round Welbeck was fucking laughable and disgraceful in almost equal measure, but people need to get a grip and have some perspective and start looking at things over a period of slightly longer than 90 minutes. 37 isn't ancient for a goalkeeper. He's got plenty still left to offer and personally I'm more than happy with him as backup.

Fucking knee-jerk-tastic in here.

Harper has a good game, he's reliable and a great servant to the club as well as a good backup to Krul

Harper concedes goals against one of the best teams in the land, and he's past it and a liability

Elliott plays badly in pre-season, he's shit.

Elliott plays well in 45 minutes, and suddenly he's a massive loss when he's injured.

Obviously Harper's attempt to dribble round Welbeck was fucking laughable and disgraceful in almost equal measure, but people need to get a grip and have some perspective and start looking at things over a period of slightly longer than 90 minutes. 37 isn't ancient for a goalkeeper. He's got plenty still left to offer and personally I'm more than happy with him as backup.

I think you will be in the vast minority there

wow massive knee-jerk reaction, he didn't even have a chance for any of the goals. He did two things wrong, which Man United didn't take advantage of. Not one person mentioning the 2-3 good saves Harper made.

He is better then Elliot.

He saw the third one the whole way and it wasn't particularly fast. From where I was sat I thought he should have saved it.

He wasnt blatantly off his line, and the way Cleverly shaped up, it was almost certainly a cross. A taller keeper would have saved it imo.

f***ing knee-jerk-tastic in here.

Elliott plays badly in pre-season, he's s***.

Obviously Harper's attempt to dribble round Welbeck was f***ing laughable and disgraceful in almost equal measure, but people need to get a grip and have some perspective and start looking at things over a period of slightly longer than 90 minutes. 37 isn't ancient for a goalkeeper. He's got plenty still left to offer and personally I'm more than happy with him as backup.

I think you will be in the vast minority there

Ofcourse he is, that doesnt mean hes wrong.

And yes, his dribble inside his area was stupid. Hope he doesn't do that ever again.

The ball should never have been played back to him in that position.

There should also have been a full back for him to pass to.

wow massive knee-jerk reaction, he didn't even have a chance for any of the goals. He did two things wrong, which Man United didn't take advantage of. Not one person mentioning the 2-3 good saves Harper made.

He is better then Elliot.

Not sure of that excuses it.. :lol:

I'm not sure if Krul would have done better on the corners, but Harper surely doesn't command his area well enough. He's not the tallest and has lost whatever spring he had, meaning he's not only vulnerable on the ground but also in the air. The only thing still on par for a Premiership goalkeeper is his reflexes. He did make some good saves too, but there's no denying we've lost valuable points in Krul's absence.

I'm not sure how you can say he's better than Elliot too. The latter has been fairly solid this season after a shaky start and has age on his side. There's still a chance he could be a reliable back up for years to come.

Reaction to goals conceded from Harper's detractors are tediously predictable. Amazing how he has been solely to blame for every goal conceded since he came into the team. I guess by that logic we wouldn't have conceded any had he not been playing ???

As a back 5 (including Harper) we were shambolic early in yesterday's game. Harper was not to blame for the goals, although trying to do a "Pav" past Wellbeck was a bad decision.

Watching the Barca - Madrid game later made me think that Harper would have been roundly condemned for conceding at least 3 of the 4 goals by detractors on here.

As Mick pointed out we had a "schoolkid" covering Harper yesterday . At this moment in time he's the best we've got. Please get well soon Timmy!

Guest Roger Kint

Did anybody notice who was covering him on the bench? He's the best we had and that's not his fault, we're lucky we had him.

Plus it seems everyone lines up to hammer him at every opportunity. Sad really as other than the daft dribble which he had no help at all from he didnt do much wrong.