George Caulkin

Tooj

He's got a right little fan club like, probably the only journalist in the world who is completely untouchable on this forum despite the fact he's posted more utter s**** about NUFC than the rest of them put together.

The way he used to defend Ashley and Pardew on here was absolutely reprehensible. He's done well for himself, no question. That says far more about the state of the people they allow into football journalism than it does about him.

If you are talking about Caulkin I agree he is kind of untouchable for some reason. Seems like he makes one or two points then drills it home over and over in his pieces, he's got great command of the English language and that makes him sound very intelligent and in touch with us but really he's not saying anything that hasn't been uttered many times by most people on this board, just in a more eloquent way and to a much wider audience of course. I think he does his research well, and his obvious love for the Mackems is a bit galling tbh, may have once been a geordie but he's clearly turned or at least he desperately seems to want to show that.

This to me is more enlightening than Caulkin's utterings, offers a little more insight into things that we may not have known about from the much maligned local rag:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-story-newcastle-uniteds-dismal-11330852

But since it's the Ronny Gill and not George then it's not worth reading.

Spot on article!

The only things I remember about Nixon are 1) him insisting on playing as a striker in the first reds v blues, and 2) his daft little brother spitting his dummy out when I hammered him in the FIFA league and he started trying to get all of his players sent off

:lol:

I don't understand the stick that Nixon sometimes gets on here.  :lol:

Still bemuses me how a demi-literate, inbred knucklehead made it into the world of sports journalism. Oh, no...wait...

Still bemuses me how a demi-literate, inbred knucklehead made it into the world of sports journalism. Oh, no...wait...

I thought that it was a prerequisite.

I thought that it was a prerequisite.

Aye. That might have been the point I was making when I said "Oh, no...wait...". :thup:

• 5 months later...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/how-newcastle-have-rejuvenated-themselves-mm9r57888

Regeneration game: how Newcastle are bouncing back

From Premier League relegation to the perfect reboot: George Caulkin analyses what has changed at St James’ Park George Caulkin

October 26 2016, 5:00pm, The Times

Nothing has been determined and nothing has been won, important caveats at a football stadium which has often played host to a theatre of the damned, but although it is difficult to crow about a peculiar form of achievement, Newcastle United might just be living through the perfect relegation. If ever there could be a model for going down and rebooting, then it is being showcased at St James’ Park.

From the final day of last season - a grey and joyless campaign - when Newcastle supporters put aside their despondency and sang about love, serenading Rafa Benítez, momentum has fuelled this restless club. A manager of calibre, a full ground, a winning team, a sense of purpose; from where they were 12 months ago (losing 3-0 to Sunderland), the transformation is total. If promotion is vital, something less tangible and of greater importance has been rediscovered.

This is not Benítez’s first rodeo. The Spaniard knows what he is doing; that is the first thing. He may not have direct experience of the Sky Bet Championship, but he understands how to build and mould a team. His track record - Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Chelsea, Napoli, Real Madrid, the Champions League, the Uefa Cup, the FA Cup, the Europa League, La Liga twice - is substantive and studded with success. All available metrics suggest he is seriously good.

That is part of his appeal to Newcastle, but so was his desire to join the club. He is an analytical and thorough coach - he may not have the instinct of Kevin Keegan or the North East heritage of Sir Bobby Robson - but there was something appealingly old-school about his decision to join them. He saw potential. He saw history. He saw stature. Where his immediate predecessors spoke about limitations, about the difficulty of competing, he recognised possibility.

The fans are doing their bit

In turn, this has galvanised fans. Beyond the city, you would not find much empathy for Newcastle when they were in the Premier League, but this has been a club wrestling with its soul. Under Mike Ashley’s ownership they have been difficult to adore, cold and aloof, with limited communication, corrosive decisions (Sports Direct Arena, Wonga, Joe Kinnear, TWICE!), and a stated policy that cups were not a “priority”.

That led to a disconnect between a club wanting to be the best it can be “pound for pound” and those who crave sporting endeavour. It was less about winning something, or a divine right for better, than a belief that Newcastle should at least try. It may be difficult to measure, but without aspiration, without the hope that this, finally, could be your year, then what is the point of any of it? What are players supposed to feel, do? Momentum has returned and it is powerful.

Directors not meddling

None of this would be relevant if Newcastle’s hierarchy did not buy into Benítez, but the difference here is total. Benítez is the manager, not the head coach. The club acquires the players he wants. Graham Carr, the chief scout, was once described as the most important figure at St James’, but his influence is minimal, while their rigid policy of signing young players of value has been parked, at least for now.

Lee Charnley, the managing director, deserved criticism for his longstanding pursuit of Steve McClaren, as well as much else, but appointing Benítez was both bold and transformative. Theoretically, at least, everything has changed. And although their transfer model was partially responsible for them going down, the upside came last summer, when Moussa Sissoko and Georginio Wijnaldum were sold at enormous profit.

Other factors

There is a myth about the Premier League. It may be bigger and more glamorous and richer, but that does not equate to good. Why is losing to Sunderland and Stoke City and Watford better than beating Brighton & Hove Albion, Derby County and Preston North End? Newcastle learning how to win again has been accompanied by games against different teams and new trips. That reminder is valuable. There is more to football than money and mediocrity.

Newcastle have also been cushioned. The financial worth of promotion is huge, but attendances have been remarkable, they remain an attractive destination for away supporters and there is much more of a ‘buzz’ around the city than there has been for years. And because of the way the club has been structured, there was little fat left to trim when relegation was confirmed. Job losses have been minimal.

Finally, Newcastle have a team again. Players have been rotated, but Benítez has constructed his squad for the Championship and they have options everywhere. They look solid and committed and organised. They have benefitted from a sympathetic draw, but reaching the quarter-finals of the EFL Cup is a symbol of their renewal. These remain early days and nothing has been achieved, aside from the biggest thing of all. Newcastle have remembered what they stand for.