Newcastle United 2 - 0 Watford - 05/12/09 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

Harper - 8 - Some magnificent saves.

Simpson - 7 - Reasonably solid.

Taylor - 7.5 - Again solid.

Coloccini - 7 - Got skinned once at the start that nearly cost us a goal, but otherwise solid.

Enrique - 8.5 - <3

Guthrie - 5 - Poor passing, poor positioning.  One promising forward run.

Nolan - 6 - Looked committed before sending off.  

Smith - 7 - Solid industrial shift with some cracking tackles.

Jonas - 8.5 - A magnificent outlet today, never afraid to run, and rarely gave the ball away when support was available to him.

Harewood - 7 - Decent in the air, and fair play to him for chasing the keeper down.

Lovenkrands - 7 - Scored his goal well, but quiet otherwise.  Reasonably solid.

Carroll - 6 - Contributed little, to be honest.  Not helped by the ref.

Butt - 7.5 - Momentum really shifted in our direction after his being brought on.  Made a few superb passes to break the pressure building on us.  Pleasantly surprised.

Pancrate - 9 - Looked lively, didn't lose the ball, and my God what a strike.

credit to hughton today

Why?

right subs at the right times. i know butt gave it  away a couple of times, but hey if you can't find it in you to give him a little credit even today then  nothing he does will make u happy.

Should have avoided Butt altogether and left Guthrie in the middle, swapping Lovenkrands straight for Pancrate.

He does seem to have a thing for surprising us by throwing in hopeless players, like he did with Geremi at Scunthorpe.

Dunno how you can complain when his changes took the score from 1-0 to 2-0 with ten men against a very decent side. Granted, we rode our luck a lot, but it was never going to be any other way.

I'm not a fan of the little fella, but think he got it right today.

I'm not complaining really, just pointing out something I thought he got wrong in bringing Butt on.  He's no good when we're defending & proved it today. His legs have gone & his general play is incredibly sloppy.

To give Hughton credit, I was pleased he stuck with Lovenkrands in the starting line up, because I didn't think he would.

Good win but once we went down to 10men, it was backs to the wall. A combination of good defending/saves from Harper and chances not taken kept us in the game in the 2nd half. Once again, everything came down the left side, with Jonas and Enrique turning in good shifts. Guthrie kept on drifting inside, which meant our our outlet down the right (until Pancrate came on) was Simpson. As for Pancrate - what a superb goal. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the FL show tonight. Just over 43000 there again too.  Don't know how many Watford brought up as couldn't see from my seat beneath in the Leazes.

MoM - Harper for some quality saves during the 2nd half.

Yeah, hughton got it right today, butt aside. Caroll after the sending off to hold the ball up, then when we were getting hemmed in a bit pancrate to give us an outlet and take the pressure off. Jonas, Enrique and Harewood all did themselves proud.

Do they put these goals online or do I have to watch SSN?

Will be on Iplayer after the Championship nonsense show later tonight. Be quicker and easier watching SSN.

Righteo, cheers.

Just seen the pancrate goal.... :dance: takes the piss out those two defenders. Like a black cruyff. Only better

credit to hughton today

Why?

right subs at the right times. i know butt gave it  away a couple of times, but hey if you can't find it in you to give him a little credit even today then  nothing he does will make u happy.

His subs today were awful. Almost reminded me of :kinnear:.

How on earth were they like Kinnear?, that's a totally baffling comment. Watford were winning lots of corners so he brings on Carroll to defend at set pieces and give us some muscle up front. Butt for Lovenkrands was also a good sub (if you get past OH NO ITS BUTT), he sits and helps the back four out.

And Pancrate, he comes on to give us another outlet going forward, and scores us a clincher.

GG - post  some links to Watford boards talking about this game.

http://www.wfcforums.com/showthread.php?t=31445

Glory Horns needs registration to view.

I viewed it without registering. I find it funny how some of them don't know the names of our players. I guess they're used to watching the Championship like I am to watching the Premiership. I barely know any Championship players.

Good to see the stereotypes still going strong: -

PotGuy

********. Big team gets all the luck, surprise surprise.

Undeservedly arrogant Geordies will be in their element.

A plague on all their council houses.

How on earth were they like Kinnear?, that's a totally baffling comment. Watford were winning lots of corners so he brings on Carroll to defend at set pieces and give us some muscle up front. Butt for Lovenkrands was also a good sub (if you get past OH NO ITS BUTT), he sits and helps the back four out.

And Pancrate, he comes on to give us another outlet going forward, and scores us a clincher.

Butt for Lovenkrands was as bad as it gets. Butt should have been left to sit on the bench. I'm assuming you didn't see the game, because if you did you'd realise that Butt didn't 'sit back and help the back four out', he did what he usually does (put them under even more pressure).

Harewood coming off was the correct decision. Not really fussed that he brought Carroll on either but I'd personally have gone for Ranger who I believe can hold the ball up better than Carroll. He also didn't really look fit either, very sluggish at times. We could even have left Lovenkrands on, which wouldn't have been a bad option. He caused Watford a lot of problems all game and it might have allowed us to catch them on the break, as well as retaining possession better because just hoofing it clear to Carroll didn't work well.

Bringing Pancrate on was also the right decision, but it shouldn't have been at the expense of Guthrie. There would have been nothing wrong at all with putting Guthrie in the middle of the park, allowing Pancrate to play on the right wing. Bringing Butt on caused us more problems due to his lack of any kind of ability to grace a football pitch and allowing an equaliser, with him being caught out of position just a minute after he came on. Not to mention then giving the ball away in a stupid position about five minutes later, followed by a disgusting tackle where he dived in from behind trying to chop the guy down right on the edge of the box. He's finished and shouldn't be anywhere near the team, especially not coming off the bench when we're trying to hold onto a lead.

Cheers Dave.

Other clubs have not worked out yet that we can soak up attacks. So if your team attacks our team for 5mins or say all of the 2nd half as is more than likely it only matters if we let you score!!!! So f*** off & look at the 2nd half possession stat   :fwap:

I viewed it without registering. I find it funny how some of them don't know the names of our players. I guess they're used to watching the Championship like I am to watching the Premiership. I barely know any Championship players.

Good to see the stereotypes still going strong: -

PotGuy

********. Big team gets all the luck, surprise surprise.

Undeservedly arrogant Geordies will be in their element.

A plague on all their council houses.

wfcforums =/= Glory Horns. :lol:

has it been mantioned how bad a refereeing performance was that ? not biased either way, taylor plays a chip up then charges at the man leading with his arm and we end up with a free kick on the edge of the box, nicky butt slides in for a deliberate foul but cant muster the dstrength to actually bring the player down, ref waves play on but doesn't go back and book butt. ref warns wtaford player for throwing down jonas three times yet on neither occasion gives a free kick.