Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Would be interesting to see if he had the balls to take on a challenge with one of the newly promoted teams.  And if he still can cut it in the premier league.

And then to laugh at the shambles after playing 5/38 games and scoring none  :smitten:

I've still got a lot of bitterness about Owen's career here, regardless of how much i hate the twat. I'd rather he didn't go to Sunderland (or anyone in this league), just on the off-chance he did alright. Hope he just fucks off to America and joins the list of forgotten footballers.

He's had a weird career. Burst onto the scene and barring a couple of debatable highlights went on to achieve not a whole lot. It's a shame a guy with so much talent basically has no hunger at all.

Guest diddimz

I can see him ending up at spurs, 'arry will think he can get the mst out of him and will feed his ego which is probably a bit tender after missing out on 'his' England job

Should've had a much better career than he has ended up having.

You can't deny the top-class talent was there at Liverpool. He was a predatory, clinical striker, the world was at his feet. In many ways though, the move to Real Madrid was the beginning of the end, even though it was at a young age. He was no longer "the next big thing", he was in a team full of bigger stars, bigger egos. He didn't too badly in fairness. But, imo, he got a bit of a wake-up call there - people perhaps weren't as excited to see him; team-mates weren't relying on him as such to do the business.

Then, of course, he moved to yous. I don't know the exact details of the deal, but I reckon he was pissed off someone "bigger" and "better" at the time wasn't in for him. Did he get seduced by the money? Possibly. He's held a grudge ever since - it was this move that, further down the line, signalled that Michael Owen was no longer the next big thing; he wasn't even a big thing anymore. I bet being part of a relegation side was a massive blow to his previously ever-increasing ego.

England faded. Man Utd came calling, offering him a lifeline I bet he never thought would come. But injuries persisted and a frankly rapid decline followed. But still, he kept coming out with his soundbites of how he was still cut out for top-class football, how he was still 'the man'.

Shame, really. Could and should've been so much more but instead, his career is fast closing and what is left is an utterly deluded, crippled man, devoid of meaningful footballing talent.

Incidentally, what is a general Liverpool fan's view of him?

Liverpool supporting mate thinks he's still good and reckons he'll come to us this transfer window. No shit! :lol:

Never fail to get angry with him.

Then, of course, he moved to yous. I don't know the exact details of the deal, but I reckon he was pissed off someone "bigger" and "better" at the time wasn't in for him. Did he get seduced by the money? Possibly. He's held a grudge ever since - it was this move that, further down the line, signalled that Michael Owen was no longer the next big thing; he wasn't even a big thing anymore. I bet being part of a relegation side was a massive blow to his previously ever-increasing ego.

didn't he basically admit (or was it sven on his behalf) that he took the move to us to get himself in england contention and assumed he'd bang the goals in and then get picked up by someone better than us?  worked out well for him that the little cunt, only disappointment since he left us has been manyoo were stupid enough to keep him in wages...i'd rather he have been exposed for the fraud he quite clearly is

I didn't like him from the start, although I kept faith in him over the time he was here.

In his first interview with Jim White he was asked how long he would be at the club for. Most players give the usual soundbite of "Well I'd like to settle here blah blah", Owen answered "My contract is for 4 years", little cunt.

I think I would have forgiven his spell here had he not slagged us off on twitter.

His early career was based on his quite exceptional pace, and when that faded he didn't have the technical ability to still remain a top player. No mystery really.

Joining us was a disaster for both him and the club. What I can't get over is that he said in public two weeks beforehand that he wanted to re-join Liverpool, and would only consider joining us on loan. Yet Freddie persisted and priced Liverpool out of the running so that Owen ended up with little choice. Complete madness.

Guest sicko2ndbest

His early career was based on his quite exceptional pace, and when that faded he didn't have the technical ability to still remain a top player. No mystery really.

Joining us was a disaster for both him and the club. What I can't get over is that he said in public two weeks beforehand that he wanted to re-join Liverpool, and would only consider joining us on loan. Yet Freddie persisted and priced Liverpool out of the running so that Owen ended up with little choice. Complete madness.

I'll be honest I got caught up in the hysteria when he signed and thought it was a great day for the club

In hindsight, it bankrupted us and we got minimal value for money! The best thing he did for us was the compo from the FA

Still certain they paid £16m just to break the Shearer transfer.

Didn't Liverpool offer something like £8m? Pretty sure an extra £3m would have trumped them, not doubling their offer! :lol:

Like Sicko I was very excited at the time though.

Aye, celebrated like we've won a match that day he signed. :lol:

Remember that I've been on holidays that day and only read it in the "Bild" (German Sun). Couldn't really believe it first. :lol:

Guest je85

http://i.imgur.com/35WnQ.jpg

How to become the complete footballer.

I think I might still have this vhs at my parents house.

Didn't Liverpool offer something like £8m? Pretty sure an extra £3m would have trumped them, not doubling their offer! :lol:

thought liverpool had a buyback clause and that was why it was so low...real didn't want to sell him so cheaply to them and made shepherd sweat 'til he inevitably signed whatever cheque they asked for