Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Did ok for us on the pitch pretty much up until we beat Portsmouth away in the relegation season. Was a disgrace in the last third of that season though.

His goalscoring record was never bad for us, but Keegan in-particular worked wonders with him. In a footballing sense, anyway. Giving him the captaincy was a bit of a brainfart and contributed to his increasing lack of interest. Somehow.

Not whilst Keegan was here it wasn't. Was a bit of a masterstroke.

Did ok for us on the pitch pretty much up until we beat Portsmouth away in the relegation season. Was a disgrace in the last third of that season though.

His goalscoring record was never bad for us, but Keegan in-particular worked wonders with him. In a footballing sense, anyway. Giving him the captaincy was a bit of a brainfart and contributed to his increasing lack of interest. Somehow.

Aye that's fair, actually. Owen was top class in that 'false 9'/attacking-midfield role Keegan deployed him in and you could argue that the captaincy had galvanised him.

He should have had the captaincy taken off him later on, like. But as you say - Keegan had already left by that point.

It was a ridiculous thing to do which contributed heavily to us going down.

I'll never forget the day he signed. Most players talk about how they hope to have a great future at the club, Owen just kept repeating "I'm here for 3 years".

He never wanted to be here. He only signed for us because he was desperate to come back for his horses.

Conor McNamara (@ConorMcNamaraIE) tweeted at 11:34 AM on Tue, Mar 19, 2013:

Did a commentary with @themichaelowen recently. Not afraid to say hard truths about players he'd worked with. Interesting new career awaits?

:anguish:

I'm sure he did, when the mics were off. Weaselly little runt.

It was a ridiculous thing to do which contributed heavily to us going down.

He was a ridiculous captain in the relegation season, but think it was sensible and worked while KK was here. Remember it was in the context of KK arriving and the media stirring re Owen's criticism of KK in his autobio. It seemed Owen was an important player at the time and it put the shite to rest.

I don't care what others say, he did give his all for us and I for one am sad to see him finishing. Also thank you for the wonderful moments you created on international duty.

Goodbye my lover. Goodbye my friend. You have been the one. You have been the one for me.

I love you Michael Owen. The original dreamboat.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I keep thinking he's died whenever Sky Sports start talking about him.

The website's articles on him. :lol: :anguish: His 'legacy'. 'One of the greats'. :lol: Horrific reading.

Yeah, it's so over the top I'm like 'oh shit is he dead?'. Interviewing everyone who's ever seen him in person to tell us how great of a person and footballer he was. Totally surreal.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Would people even put him in their list of the best 10 Premiership strikers?  I am not sure I would to be honest.

Shearer

Henry

Anelka

Hughes

Andy Cole

Yorke

Zola

Bergkamp

Hasslebaink

Drogba

Would people even put him in their list of the best 10 Premiership strikers?  I am not sure I would to be honest.

Shearer

Henry

Anelka

Hughes

Andy Cole

Yorke

Zola

Bergkamp

Hasslebaink

Drogba

Sir Les, mate, Sir Les!

and Rooney RVP Nistelrooy, Cronaldo (if wide forwards count), that little Norwegian cunt

If you ask Liverpool fans, Fowler and Torres, maybe Suarez too if he sticks around another season.

Anyway, Owen isn't even top twenty

Shearer

Henry

van Nistelrooy

Wright

Bergkamp

Cantona

Fowler

Drogba

van Persie

Rooney

I wouldn't class the likes of Cantona in the striker category if we are talking pure goalscorers. Also Owen at his peak was better than Ian Wright at his peak.

For him to retire aged 33 without a whimper surely points out just how poor his commitment to the game is? Really annoyed by McNulty's comments earlier today; his whole decline started in his last season at Newcastle. He fell out of love with the game but still occupied a place in the squad of two Premier League teams - picking up a huge wage packet in the process. I honestly don't see how past glories can absolve him from the tag of 'mercenary', when he's about as close as it comes to the dictionary definition of the word. Fucking despicable sportsman and it's an insult to have his name associated with the club as far as I'm concerned.

I really, really fucking detest him and for him to continue to be championed by the media - in spite of everything pointing towards him being an example of everything that is wrong with the modern game - really irritates me.

What a waste of a career man. The bloke's comfortably set for life without having to even come close to applying himself fully to his profession for the best part of the past 10 years.