Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Aye. I was at that match, if there were any Newcastle fans chanting that - there could've been some aye, but it definitely wasn't enough to be heard on telly - it'll have been the Watford fans.

.com match report references similar songs

"The chant of "we want our money back" from the away section was harsh, but typical of a day on which goalscorer Kieron Dyer also found himself verbally abused by an away following who weren't in the most forgiving of fettles."

https://www.nufc.com/html/2006-07html/2007-05-13watford-a.html

I do remember Dyer being clearly booed.

He was booed again when he came on v Juventus in the summer as well, under Allardyce IIRC

www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/michael-owen-game-gave-up-22361834.amp

What a daft shitebag he is, the only team he wanted to join in the premier league was Liverpool then joins Man United after he left us

Shame it only knocked him out. Cunt.

www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/michael-owen-game-gave-up-22361834.amp

What a daft shitebag he is, the only team he wanted to join in the premier league was Liverpool then joins Man United after he left us

Great story Michael!  :clap:

I don't understand who his book's aimed at.  Liverpool fans?  Man U fans?  Football fans?  He doesn't seem to have any passion or interest in the game at all, no personality, no interesting stories apart from "I scored these goals" which anyone who watched the match already knows about.  "I didn't really want to play for Newcastle" yeah, we know.

I think general football/England fans like him and are interested in him. Liverpool fans obviously will have fond memories of him and remember him positively overall, but even they've some sense of what a shite he is with the way he left, and ending up at ManU.

Shearer had a big part to play in him coming here. You really have to question his judgement of character. He spent enough time in the England setup to figure out what an odious little cunt the chap was.

I think general football/England fans like him and are interested in him. Liverpool fans obviously will have fond memories of him and remember him positively overall, but even they've some sense of what a shite he is with the way he left, and ending up at ManU.

all the liverpool fans I know thought he was a great player but they don't like him.

Shearer had a big part to play in him coming here. You really have to question his judgement of character. He spent enough time in the England setup to figure out what an odious little cunt the chap was.

I doubt that really came out in about 2 years of part time crossover during a period when Owen was still under 21.

• 4 months later...

Piling on the pounds since retirement. Never noticed till last night. Another year or two and he'll be rivalling Micky Quinn

Don't think I've hated a player as much as this cunt. Horrible human being.

Don't think i know of a player who has been as universally disliked by fans of every club he's played for no matter how good or bad.

Liverpool lot don't like him

Real Madrid are almost entirely indifferent to him

Newcastle can't stand him

Man Utd cant stand him

Not sure on Stoke, but cant remember them being particularly fond

Plenty of players that almost everyone hates, but their own fans seem to love them...Bellamy, Suarez etc

Got to be someone else as bad or worse than Owen surely

Don't think i know of a player who has been as universally disliked by fans of every club he's played for no matter how good or bad.

Man Utd cant stand him

Plenty of players that almost everyone hates, but their own fans seem to love them...Bellamy, Suarez etc

Good luck finding him! I'll be amazed!

Man Utd cant stand him

Jack Colback?

Andy Carroll by coming back has potentially gone this way too but not as badly as Owen

Man Utd cant stand him

Jack Colback?

Andy Carroll by coming back has potentially gone this way too but not as badly as Owen

Can't accept Colback, as he had some Makem love for a long time, and the Forest mob seemed to like him too. Same with Carroll, we was massively liked here before leaving the first time.

El Hadj Diouf comes to mind. Possibly Lee Bowyer, but don't recall his reputation amongst Leeds fans, although i think he counts as one those 'he's a c**t, but he's our c**t' like Bellamy

Do they like Colback now though? Owen was liked by Liverpool when he was there.

Wouldn't say liked, probably more tolerated. Always got the impression they saw him as a cheap not as good replacement for Fowler. Combined with that he had the same attitude to them when England came calling and that definitely rankled a few during his time there

With Owen, at every club it all seemed to end badly.

It's interesting that he's now revealed that he suffered from long-term fitness issues from a quite a young age, which curtailed that lightening speed that built his early reputation. Every club after Liverpool thought they were buying the original model, and ended up disappointed.

He became something of a national institution very early on, and a lot of people were blinded to his decline as a result.

He was still a superb player when we bought him, and there was still a good one in there even by the time he left. Farcical the he landed at ManU, mind, he wasn't as good as that and certainly didn't deserve such a lucrative/prestigious move. Horrible bastard.

I know we've argued the value and purpose of pundits over and over again, and it's not cut and dry - but I find it genuinely mystifying as to why any broadcaster was wants anything to do with him.