Craig Bellamy

James

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19536060

Gary Speed: Craig Bellamy's pain after friend's death

Footballer Craig Bellamy says the death of the former Wales manager Gary Speed has led to the "worst time in my life" and the break-up of his marriage.

The Cardiff City and Wales player told the Sunday Mirror: "All I know is that my best mate has gone. I'm struggling."

Ex-Premier League star Speed was found hanged at his Cheshire home last year.

His parents and family members marked what would have been his 43rd birthday on Saturday with a walk up Moel Famau, Denbighshire, near his childhood home.

Roger and Carol Speed told Wales on Sunday the family are still coming to terms with his death in November 2011.

'Affected everything'

Bellamy, 33, whose former clubs include Liverpool and Manchester City, told the Sunday Mirror he has moved out of the marital home he shared with his wife Claire and their three children.

He said: "Losing my best mate has affected everything. I can't believe how hard it is.

"He was the best mate I've ever had. It's sad but unfortunately it got to my marriage. I'm here and she's there.

"I don't know if that's it for us. All I know is that my best mate has gone. I'm struggling. I can't lie."

Bellamy told the newspaper of his family situation: "I can't tell you how hard it is. It's the worst time in my life ever."

Bellamy was part of the Team GB squad at the Olympics, and last month joined Cardiff on a two-year deal from Liverpool.

Speed's clubs included Leeds, Newcastle, Everton, and Bolton, and he managed Sheffield United.

A coroner at the inquest in January said he could not be satisfied that Speed intended to kill himself.

:undecided:

Strange he'd be so close to Speed when Speed was virtually best mates with Shearer, like.

Can't see why not, it's not like they were all based in Newcastle for the majority and people have different mates who don't really get on all the time in my experience.

Wish him all of the best as I can't even begin to feel what he is going through, especially due to the age difference between him and Speed as well. You can imagine Speed being somewhat of a father figure to him, giving him advice and despite how strong willed he is you can imagine he listened to that advice too.

Bellamy still remains one of my favourite players :blush:

Hope he pulls through this. Sucks that his marriage is suffering because of it.

Mine as well, he's class. He may act like a prick on the pitch, but it's always for the "right reasons", he wants to win that badly, and it's not like he's a cheating, diving cunt either.

Strange he'd be so close to Speed when Speed was virtually best mates with Shearer, like.

Can't see why not, it's not like they were all based in Newcastle for the majority and people have different mates who don't really get on all the time in my experience.

I seem to recall that they used to say that Speed was the one person that Bellamy listened to at Newcastle and his influence on Bellamy was missed when he was sold.  Would the fall out with Souness have happened had Speed still been with us?

I have a lot of time for Bellamy - was gutted when he left especially as it was obvious Souness would not be around for any length of time.  He was our best striker at that time.  Glad he is getting some respect these days.  Used to do a lot of charity stuff when he was here as well. 

Hope he is able to come to terms with everything.

I know how he feels as the same happened to me in march, haunts me everyday and when it's not, I feel guilty. think it's the sheer disbelief that is the worst. People have accidents, the get old or ill, but taking your own life for what seemingly is no real reason just leaves you numb. Don't really know how much he can blame the failure or failing of his marriage on this, surely that is more down to him and typical bellamy ready to blame anything else to cover his bad behaviour.

I actually have a lot of time for Bellamy, and it's very sad to read that interview.  :whatdidido:

Contrary to popular opinion, I actually think he's a good lad. My mother worked at St James' for years, doing all sorts, but for a while she worked as a steward in the players and staff car park bit. When it was her last shift he gave her a bunch of flowers and was very nice to her, always talked about his kids and that.

Compare that with Kieran Dyer, who threw a crumpled up £20 note at my mother at one point and muttered something along the lines of ''you need it don't you?''.

I actually have a lot of time for Bellamy, and it's very sad to read that interview.  :whatdidido:

Contrary to popular opinion, I actually think he's a good lad. My mother worked at St James' for years, doing all sorts, but for a while she worked as a steward in the players and staff car park bit. When it was her last shift he gave her a bunch of flowers and was very nice to her, always talked about his kids and that.

Compare that with Kieran Dyer, who threw a crumpled up £20 note at my mother at one point and muttered something along the lines of ''you need it don't you?''.

:kasper:

I know how he feels as the same happened to me in march, haunts me everyday and when it's not, I feel guilty. think it's the sheer disbelief that is the worst. People have accidents, the get old or ill, but taking your own life for what seemingly is no real reason just leaves you numb. Don't really know how much he can blame the failure or failing of his marriage on this, surely that is more down to him and typical bellamy ready to blame anything else to cover his bad behaviour.

Yeah, linking Speed's death with the break-up of his marriage jarred for me as well. Tragedy can bring people closer together.

another talented little twat with no direction.

Guest Stephen927

Can totally see how the loss of your best friend in such a way could lead you to becoming more insular and withdrawn from those closest to you.

Most of us don't have to go through that thankfully. Terrible, terrible thing.