Will Barton's return lead to better football?

TRon

When I see the training photos I always think how mint it would be to be a footballer. To do that as a job is mental.

I know, it's crazy :lol: What is it? Like 5 mornings of training a week, followed by a 90 minute appearance (if you're lucky)? All that for thosands a week :lol:

Yeah, there's a lot of s*** that goes along with being a footballer as well I suppose - but day-to-day it must be brilliant. If you keep your head down and out of the press the lifestyle must be fantastic.

Steve Harper tbh.

Once Barton has 2-3 games under his belt we will be twice the side. I hope Barton has as much influence as Nolan and Smith do on Hughton.

I'd love it if he came back and pushed one of them out of the side.

Once Barton has 2-3 games under his belt we will be twice the side. I hope Barton has as much influence as Nolan and Smith do on Hughton.

I'd love it if he came back and pushed one of them out of the side.

Yeah if its Hughton pushed out I agree.

That's what Hughton said about Barton now... looks like he won't be fit for Coventry. (Looks like I've been right there with not trusting Chris's statements about Barton's fitness)

Btw: Can anyone explain to me what "lads group of games" means?  :lol:  Or is it a missprint and actually has to be "last group of" games?

“Joey’s involvement in training has been a bit part.” “He will join in part of the sessions but not all of them then we will develop it from there.”

“We would like to think he can play a part in these lads group of games – but he has to get to fitness first.”

That's what Hughton said about Barton now... looks like he won't be fit for Coventry. (Looks like I've been right there with not trusting Chris's statements about Barton's fitness)

Btw: Can anyone explain to me what "lads group of games" means?  :lol:  Or is it a missprint and actually has to be "last group of" games?

“Joey’s involvement in training has been a bit part.” “He will join in part of the sessions but not all of them then we will develop it from there.”

“We would like to think he can play a part in these lads group of games – but he has to get to fitness first.”

Nolan holds a daily pie eating contest in which he always wins.

I took it to mean the end of the season.

I don't understand how Barton could possibly be out for the whole season with whatever injury it was he had.

I took it to mean the end of the season.

I don't understand how Barton could possibly be out for the whole season with whatever injury it was he had.

Why not? I can't recall the last time he played more matches than he missed in any one season as a Newcastle player.

Quotes in the journal from his agent willie mackay.

Would explain his performances at the start of the season...

I am looking forward to his return, our centre midfield is very pedestrian at the moment.

That is not going to improve if/when/ever Barton returns

Quotes in the journal from his agent willie mackay.

Would explain his performances at the start of the season...

I am looking forward to his return, our centre midfield is very pedestrian at the moment.

That is not going to improve if/when/ever Barton returns

Sadly, I agree. He'll look Nolan-like for the first while I'm guessing. Still, he might be able to tackle, pass and keep the ball a lot better than some...

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2010/03/07/newcastle-united-will-not-risk-joey-barton-79310-25977085/

Newcastle United will not risk Joey barton

Mar 7 2010 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE may not risk returning long-term injury victim Joey Barton to first-team action this season.

Barton has been periodically training with the United senior squad in the last few weeks after more than five months out with a foot injury.

But the Sunday Sun understands that Barton has spent much of his recent work-out time in the swimming pool rather than on the pitch, and that he may now be kept back to ensure he is fighting fit for Newcastle’s probable return to the Premier League in August.

Meanwhile, Tim Krul has hinted he is ready to stay at St James’ Park this summer in a bid to wrest the first-choice goalkeeper’s jersey from Steve Harper.

Dutch Under-21 international Krul had been tipped for a move elsewhere in search of regular first-team football as he sets his sights on succeeding Edwin van der Sar as Holland’s senior No 1.

But Krul, asked this week if he believes he can usurp Harper next season, said: “Yes, I believe I can.

“Steve Harper is the club’s preference now, but I will continue to fight for a place at Newcastle.

“The Premier League is a step up and much tougher physically, so I have to ensure I continue working hard on my fitness and my game.

“I’ve had conversations with the manager, Chris Hughton, which have left me with a good feeling.

“I’m not yet done at Newcastle United.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/03/05/hughton-will-ask-joey-to-have-a-little-patience-61634-25966014/

Hughton will ask Joey to have a little patience

Mar 5 2010 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

JOEY Barton is already straining at the leash to be involved in Newcastle United’s promotion push following his return to full training this week.

Barton has rejoined the main group after more than six months out with a broken foot, much to the delight of his manager Chris Hughton.

Barton was expected to be one of the key figures in the Newcastle side this season before suffering yet another unfortunate injury on Tyneside and Hughton has no doubts he will improve the squad when he is fully fit.

Nevertheless, having missed so much of the season, Hughton will not be rushed into playing him as he urged the combustible midfielder to be patient with his comeback.

Hughton said: “He needs games. Sometimes you can get carried away because you see him in training and think he looks sharp. He has missed so much of the season and watched so much football that he will be desperate to get back in.

“But when somebody has been out as long as he’s been out, there’s a protocol and you have to do it right. Throwing him in can sometimes backfire, although sometimes it’s about taking the risk.

“If we were in position where we had to take a risk, it would affect your thinking, but we are not in that position and we are allowed a little more time.

“The difficulty is reining him in. When he’s had a couple of reserve team games, that would be a problem with Joey.”

Given the strength of Newcastle’s midfield, Hughton could have been tempted to keep Barton in the background to ensure he avoids a selection headache before May and comes back firing on all cylinders next season. But that is not something that appeals to the Magpies boss as he continues to focus all of his thoughts and energy on making sure Newcastle get out of the Championship at the first attempt. Barton’s return to fitness will help Newcastle do that.

He said: “It’s very much about getting everybody fit for when they are fit. I would prefer to have him for as many games as we can this season, whether it’s for the last five or last 10.

“At the moment, we are not desperate to get him back in because of what we’ve got. Nicky Butt is back at the weekend and we have options in there. That might not change, but it might do.

“There’s always something in this game that smacks you in the teeth when you have everyone available. At the moment, we are not under pressure to bring him back and that affords us a little bit more time.

“When he’s fit he will improve the squad. He’s been out for most of the season, but the bottom line is he’s a good footballer.”

Meanwhile, Hughton will not be telling Alan Smith to curb his combative spirit even though the United skipper is just one yellow card away from a two-match suspension.

Hughton feels it would be counter-productive for Smith to change the way he plays and suspects he would be wasting his breath even if he did ask the former Manchester United man to alter things.

He said: “We’ve had a word with Alan, but we’ve just told him to carry on what he’s been doing for us this season.

“He’s a player of great enthusiasm and determination and when you’ve got that type of player, what you don’t want to do is take away a big part of their game.

“He’s a very competitive player and that’s what we continue to want from him.”

:: JACK Rodwell remains confident England Under-21s can qualify for next summer’s European Championship despite the disappointment of Wednesday’s defeat by Greece.

Rodwell, charged with trying to support lone striker Andy Carroll in the 2-1 loss, admitted the team did not play to their potential. He said: “We play two back to back. Hopefully we’ll come back stronger.”

Midfield is still our weakest area at the moment so a fit Joey Barton will give us an option to add some quality in there...provided he still has something left in the tank. There has to be a question mark whether he will regain his force as a player following a few serious injuries.