Kieron Dyer signs one-year contract extension with QPR

LoveItIfWeBeatU

I thought Dyer was canny. Just a c**t.

Probably been mentioned 47 times but that cup game against Southampton  :smitten:

:nods:

All the people telling us what a terrible player he was will no doubt have a long list of attacking central midfielders we've had who were better than him in the last 20 years.

He was very good for us at times, can't quite get my head around some of the criticism of his ability. Injury proneness and attitude, then fair enough.

Didnt see enough product for all his ability, shooting was terrible. too much getting the ball and running into corners, unable to cross.

Guest Antigalican

My thoughts exactly. Mediocre players are often "very good at times", its the fact that ther're not very good often enough that defines them as mediocre.

I thought Dyer was canny. Just a c**t.

Probably been mentioned 47 times but that cup game against Southampton  :smitten:

:nods:

All the people telling us what a terrible player he was will no doubt have a long list of attacking central midfielders we've had who were better than him in the last 20 years.

He was very good for us at times, can't quite get my head around some of the criticism of his ability. Injury proneness and attitude, then fair enough.

Didnt see enough product for all his ability, shooting was terrible. too much getting the ball and running into corners, unable to cross.

played in the middle too often when he should have been a limpar style wide midfieldewr. use dto always think around his best time here no matter who the opposition was if we were level with 20 left we'd win.

My thoughts exactly. Mediocre players are often "very good at times", its the fact that ther're not very good often enough that defines them as mediocre.

He was good most of the time though, I felt. By "very good" I meant unplayable. Nowhere near the complete player but a very unique one that offered something that not many around did/could at his level. Passing ability was underrated but can't argue that he had no shooting ability/confidence in his shooting ability.

Always liked Dyer as a player, not technically the best but his athletiscm carried those flaws at times. Also thought he was surprising intelligent player as well, if he could finish I dont think he'd of played for us for as long as he did. I always seem to remember a general resurgence from the team when he managed to get fit whilst we had Roeder and Souness in charge, definitely an influential player at times.

He was good most of the time though, I felt. By "very good" I meant unplayable. Nowhere near the complete player but a very unique one that offered something that not many around did/could at his level. Passing ability was underrated but can't argue that he had no shooting ability/confidence in his shooting ability.

I always thought it was more a confidence thing with his shooting, rather than a lack of ability. He looked for the pass more often than he should have. When he did hit it, his shooting wasn't particularly bad.

Dyer's main problem was after the signing of Jenas, Viana, Parker etc. he couldn't find a spot in CM. After that he became a bit of a problem: whenever he was fit no one knew where to put him.

• 2 weeks later...

Dyer was the kind of player who tended to visually stand out and make an 'impact'.

The type fans love to see: pick up a loose ball drive at the opposition with pace going past two or three, usually stationary, defenders.

That's largely where the story ended. His energy and dynamism was never really translated into goals or solid match winning performances on any consistent level.

Although he did have attributes his personal and physical failings consigned him to being a 'nearly man' in my opinion.

If he had of possessed a football 'brain', or even a brain of any sort really, it could have been different. I don't really think he was ever committed to the footballing side of being a footballer. A case of 'too much too young' maybe.

• 1 year later...