Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

The lad is better on the counter attack rather than breaking defences down hence why he has looked not so impressive in the last two home games.

Agreed, and him and Jonas are at their best when they're both playing, so the opposition can't load one side in defence.

It's a real missed opportunity that we didn't add a central threat (Ben Arfa) to our two wide players (Jonas and Routledge), but sacrificed one of them instead.

Definitely. It comes as no suprise that we have played our best football recently with two out and out widemen on the field.

I definitely want to see the 2 wingers and Ben Arfa in behind Carroll for the next home game.

Said this in a previous thread and i still stick by it and he may prove me wrong but i just dont think he is good enough in this division,against Villa when we murdered them i think he was our poorest player on the day offensively .

Guest Stephen927

It's a major confidence issue for him. He's failed at Spurs and Villa, written off as a Championship player after spending 4 seasons in that league, it's a lot for him to overcome.

No doubt he can be coached into a useful wide player. I'm not comparing him ability wise to Aaron Lennon but maybe we can look at some of the changes in Lennon from the 07-08 season to the 08-09 and look at how the coaching staff can improve Routledge's game.

He's got bags of ability but just doesn't seem to know how to use it, he always makes the wrong choice.

This, at times it looks like he's showing off  "look at me i'm so fast.." he needs to focus more.

Seems to be he wasn't coached well at an early age.

Think that's harsh. He signed for Spurs at the exact same time as Lennon after two cracking seasons at Palace, and that same coaching did Lennon no harm.

He's got bags of ability but just doesn't seem to know how to use it, he always makes the wrong choice.

This, at times it looks like he's showing off  "look at me i'm so fast.." he needs to focus more.

Think that's harsh. He signed for Spurs at the exact same time as Lennon after two cracking seasons at Palace, and that same coaching did Lennon no harm.

This is true but I just don't understand why he has all this ability yet can't use it effectively, maybe he's just thick and tbf Lennon was making odd choices as well till redknapp came in.

Did he  not mean pre-spurs & Routledge is few years older than Lennon as well, so how much could they alter his game once they got him at WHL. Also Routledge did not spend that much time at Spurs due to loan deals either as Spurs realised early on & as O'Neil found out at Villa Lil Wayne is not a top level player. Hopefully he can prove them wrong because I reckon he is drinking in last chance saloon as far as playing for a decent size PL club, Championship clubs will always take a punt him because his record down there is really good.

It's a major confidence issue for him. He's failed at Spurs and Villa, written off as a Championship player after spending 4 seasons in that league, it's a lot for him to overcome.

No doubt he can be coached into a useful wide player. I'm not comparing him ability wise to Aaron Lennon but maybe we can look at some of the changes in Lennon from the 07-08 season to the 08-09 and look at how the coaching staff can improve Routledge's game.

Wayne is a 25 year old journeyman we are his 6th club (not including 2 loan spells at Portsmouth and Fulham while still at Spurs) and Aaron Lennon has had 2 clubs in his entire career Leeds as a kid the Spurs and has become a England regular ,tbh sometimes you get a player and he flowers after being in the football wilderness but this guy for me doesnt cut the mustard and his career tells you why .

Pre-Spurs he was very highly-rated though which is my point. When he signed for Spurs, I can't remember people questioning him, lack of coaching, etc. He'd just came off the back of getting Palace promoted, and then having a very good first season in the Premier League with them as well. If it was down to bad coaching then I doubt Lennon would have improved in the way he did, while Routledge didn't. (think he was still only 19 when he joined Spurs)

..in that case, why did Lennon make it and Routledge failed ? It can only be down to an individual failing , probably in attitude. What makes anyone think that Hughton can get more out of him than the coaches/management at Spurs or Villa ?

Pre-Spurs he was very highly-rated though which is my point. When he signed for Spurs, I can't remember people questioning him, lack of coaching, etc. He'd just came off the back of getting Palace promoted, and then having a very good first season in the Premier League with them as well. If it was down to bad coaching then I doubt Lennon would have improved in the way he did, while Routledge didn't. (think he was still only 19 when he joined Spurs)

He was a very good prospect but he has proved not very good in the big league as his lack of games & goals show. Having Andy Johnson who scored a lot a goals for Palace may have made Lil Wayne look more creative than he actually was.

Yep good point as well. Probably a good squad player in a lower Premier League squad but think it's beginning to show that he's not good enough to start. He'll have the occasional game this season where he'll rape a full-back alive due to raw ability, but don't think we'll see it enough to merit a starting place for too much longer.

But the whole point of being a winger in my book is do it Becham style where he used to whip balls in without going past the man or beating the man and crossing or passing to team mate with a killer ball that he has failed to do time and time again all season .

Exactly. He's a similar age to Milner & Ashley Young, look what Villa coaches did to aide them, and look at how Routledge did.

I said when you signed him that he wasn't good enough, and got ripped to shreds (although to be fair, i wasn't really clear about whether I meant good enough for the top flight specifically), but what we saw here was a player who seemed totally bereft of confidence, and didn't want to run at people. Admittedly, he didn't get much of a chance here, but when he did, he didn't look anything like up to it. I saw him play for the reserves a fair bit, and he didn't look the deal there, either, mind.

He comes across as a shy bloke (thought that whilst watching the press conference when he signed for us), and he's got form in flopping in the top flight elsewhere, so maybe the current issue for him is just that - ie about confidence to have a go, confidence that he can do it. Maybe the fact he looked so poor even in the reserves suggests tha is the case - pressure to perform, to deliver, that affects him.

Exactly. He's a similar age to Milner & Ashley Young, look what Villa coaches did to aide them, and look at how Routledge did.

I said when you signed him that he wasn't good enough, and got ripped to shreds (although to be fair, i wasn't really clear about whether I meant good enough for the top flight specifically), but what we saw here was a player who seemed totally bereft of confidence, and didn't want to run at people. Admittedly, he didn't get much of a chance here, but when he did, he didn't look anything like up to it. I saw him play for the reserves a fair bit, and he didn't look the deal there, either, mind.

He comes across as a shy bloke (thought that whilst watching the press conference when he signed for us), and he's got form in flopping in the top flight elsewhere, so maybe the current issue for him is just that - ie about confidence to have a go, confidence that he can do it. Maybe the fact he looked so poor even in the reserves suggests tha is the case - pressure to perform, to deliver, that affects him.

In defence of Routledge he hasn't got much to hit when he does get in a positon to cross - Carroll is marked by 3 players and Nolan is having a sandwich back on the half way line.

I really hope he succeeds because i'm convinced he has the ability even at this level. You don't lose the ability to do some of the stuff he did last year. I think it's all in his head. Bet there's very few Premier league wingers who will give Jose Enrique the torrid time that he did last season.

Got to plat a second striker at home, this will also help Routledge, give him someone else to play off and aim for.  Must be annoying if you all you have to aim for is Carroll and he has 2 defenders on him at all times with Nolan strolling behind.

In defence of Routledge he hasn't got much to hit when he does get in a positon to cross - Carroll is marked by 3 players and Nolan is having a sandwich back on the half way line.

That's the real issue here. A number of times on Sunday, he got in positions to make a cross but had no one really to pick out.

I'm not sure where all tis criticism is coming from , well I do, it's because people want Ben Arfa and Jonas in the team and realise Hughton will never drop Nolan. Routledge has not hit the form he did last season for us, but at the same time, he's been tidy and occasionally offered a threat, if we want to play with wide men though we really need to get more people in the box.

I saw someone mention that in the Villa game they thought he was the worst offensively, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I was sat with people raving about him saying they thought he was playing great and that Guti was shocking, when I thought it was the other way round.

I do think it's in his head, you don't lose the creativity he had last season overnight, if he gets his head straight I think he can make it in the top flight. And neesy made a good point, maybe getting Simpson back will be a bit more help, as they'll have more of an understanding than he and Perch.

Right now, he's in our best XI and we have to live with that. It's just a matter of Hughton being man enough to play that best XI, drop Nolan, and have all 3 of Ben Arfa, Routledge and Guti playing. If we had all 3, it'd give defences a lot more to think about, and they couldn't focus on playing any one player out of the game, giving them all a bit more time and space, and in the process it would probably help calm Routledge down.

I saw someone mention that in the Villa game they thought he was the worst offensively, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

In fairness to Routledge, though, being labelled the worst player offensively in a game you won 6-0 strikes me as the most forgiveable of criticisms.