Kevin Nolan - untouchable?

Big Geordie

Was out with 2 lads off my course on Friday night who were sticking up for him, saying 'where would we be without his goals?' and were absolutely slating Guthrie.  One even went as far as to call him 'class'.  I actually began to shake with rage at their comments.  One of them bet me a pint that he [Nolan] would score vs. Swansea.

Some people are thick as f***.

By lord does that post sound familiar.

'Where would we be without his goals?' - lost count of the number of times I've heard that. It's just a ridiculously narrow minded way of looking at it, maybe if he wasn't in the side and we had a competent proper central midfielder the likelyhood is that while we have been without his goals the performances would have been far better overrall and maybe goals would have came from other areas of the team instead?

Too much to comprehend I guess, the fact that people can't see past his scoring record is mind numbingly infuriating.

Was out with 2 lads off my course on Friday night who were sticking up for him, saying 'where would we be without his goals?' and were absolutely slating Guthrie.  One even went as far as to call him 'class'.  I actually began to shake with rage at their comments.  One of them bet me a pint that he [Nolan] would score vs. Swansea.

'Where would we be without his goals?' - lost count of the number of times I've heard that. It's just a ridiculously narrow minded way of looking at it, maybe if he wasn't in the side and we had a competent proper central midfielder the likelyhood is that while we have been without his goals the performances would have been far better overrall and maybe goals would have came from other areas of the team instead?

Too much to comprehend I guess, the fact that people can't see past his scoring record is mind numbingly infuriating.

come out for a drink with us next time and back me up.  I was made to feel like the clueless one.  Unbelievable.

He was hideous on Saturday and has been for a while. I admire his passion and drive like, same goes for Smith. Got to be looking to improve on this pairing though.

Maybe, just maybe, Gutierrez being out the team is highlighting just how little movement Nolan and Smith were providing in the first place...

come out for a drink with us next time and back me up.  I was made to feel like the clueless one.  Unbelievable.

Should have just asked them when the last time he actually scored was and see if they could remember :lol:

He was hideous on Saturday and has been for a while. I admire his passion and drive like, same goes for Smith. Got to be looking to improve on this pairing though.

Maybe, just maybe, Gutierrez being out the team is highlighting just how little movement Nolan and Smith were providing in the first place...

Passion and drive for what? Nolan isn't even in a fit state to play football.

Passion and drive for what? Nolan isn't even in a fit state to play football.

You can see that they want to run around and get stuck in, they're just too fat/old/incapable.

nolan, smith, butt, all shite, get rid.

The day will come when we don't have to endure the embarrassment of these knackers running round in the black and white shirt.

The longer Hughton keeps Nolan in the team the less credible he becomes as a manager IMO. If he does it when Jonas and Routledge are both fit then it's the end of my respect for the man.

We need to be prepared to invest heavily in the next Aaron Ramsey or similar.

Someone who can play football and can have a side built around them.

These kids come along quite often (Delph being another one that springs to mind) and get them in the middle of the park for the last 20 minutes of every 1st team game for a good few months until they're ready to make the position their own.

We need a footballing midfielder more than ever.

How much would you pay for a Peter Beardsley type figure now?

We need to be prepared to invest heavily in the next Aaron Ramsey or similar.

Someone who can play football and can have a side built around them.

These kids come along quite often (Delph being another one that springs to mind) and get them in the middle of the park for the last 20 minutes of every 1st team game for a good few months until they're ready to make the position their own.

We need a footballing midfielder more than ever.

How much would you pay for a Peter Beardsley type figure now?

Isn't that wor' Haris Vučkić and/or Brad Inman?

Guest Stephen927

The goals have ran out so now it is obvious he doesn't offer much else. It was laughable when he was being talked about as being the best player in this league when he was scoring regularly.

Guest Geordiesned

Quite how Lee Ryder managed to award him as high as 5 I'll never know. Probably doesn't want to get banned from St James'.

HRIS Hughton has rebuffed talk of handing top scorer Kevin Nolan a break from the punishing Championship promotion race – insisting he has not even thought about dropping the midfielder.

Nolan has been a key member of Hughton’s table-topping side but both Hughton and the player himself admitted he was somewhat out of sorts as Newcastle snatched a largely undeserved point at Swansea.

The 27-year-old (pictured right) has played more times than any other member of Hughton’s squad this season and some put his diminished influence down to the inevitable wear of tear that follows a second tier schedule that regularly throws up two games in the space of a week.

Pointing to Opta statistics that show Nolan covered just as much ground as he had done earlier in the season, Hughton rejected that talk and put Saturday’s performance down to a “bad day at the office”. The former Bolton man looks set to be named in the team to face Coventry tomorrow night – and the Newcastle boss reckons he could prove a match winner again.

“It wasn’t one of his better games, but the stats show he did as much running as he normally does,” he said.

“His physical contribution was no different but as with every player, there are ups and downs in form.

“Kevin Nolan is very capable of turning his next game into one of his better ones.

“ He’s been a big, big player for us.

“Apart from his actual contribution to the team has scored a lot of goals.

“I have other options and you have to have that. But have I thought about resting Kevin? The answer is no because he’s a big player and valuable player

We do have competition for places, he’s the same as everybody. Nicky Butt will be back soon, Joey Barton will be a bit longer and falls into that category of players I can pick from so we do have options – but resting Kevin (pictured above) hasn’t been a thought.

“He is very much part of the squad and falls into the same selections process as everyone.”

After a pair of unconvincing away displays Newcastle will be looking to make a statement against the Sky Blues tomorrow night.

Although Jose Enrique is missing they will have Jonas Gutierrez back to add dynamism on the wing – and Hughton acknowledges that will be a big boost for a side that struggled to create much on the left flank on Saturday.

“He will be back and he is a big player for us. For the majority of the season he has been part of things and the left flank, with him and Jose, has been exciting to watch,” Hughton said.

With Shola Ameobi and Enrique both out for another fortnight, Gutierrez is the only player on his way back. Steven Taylor remains on track for a return at the end of March while Barton is still a long way off first-team action.

Hughton said: “Joey’s involvement in training has been a bit part. He will join in part of the sessions but not all of them then we will develop it from there.

“We would like to think he can play a part in these lads group of games – but he has to get to fitness first.”

With Enrique’s absence set to run into March, Newcastle may look to extend Patrick van Aanholt’s loan from Chelsea. That, in turn, is complicated by Ashley Cole’s fractured ankle.

“Patrick’s situation is one we will have to assess,” Hughton said.

“We have not spoken to Chelsea. I speak regularly with Frank Arnesen at Chelsea to tell him about Patrick’s displays but we have not spoken about extending it. ”

Meanwhile, Newcastle have re-arranged their game with Reading for April 13 after the Royals’ draw with West Brom in the FA Cup fifth round at the weekend.

“... but the stats show he did as much running as he normally does,” he said.

“His physical contribution was no different but as with every player, there are ups and downs in form.

:lol:

Yes, he did as much running as he normally does - not much or almost nothing. Well done Chris by not even thinking about dropping him.  :doh:

He hasnt had a good game for the last 9 matches, the guys form is clearly disasterous.

He hadnt gone more than 3 games without a goal before at any point, hes now tripled that. What more is needed, its a simple decision.

Guest neesy111

the fact that hughton hasn't made him go on a fitness regime etc, shows me hughton is bottling it with him

most other managers, would probably transfer list a player so out of shape

the fact that hughton hasn't made him go on a fitness regime etc, shows me hughton is bottling it with him

most other managers, would probably transfer list a player so out of shape

he looks out of shape yet is our most mobile central midfielder...go fugure ?

Pointing to Opta statistics that show Nolan covered just as much ground as he had done earlier in the season, Hughton rejected that talk and put Saturday’s performance down to a “bad day at the office.

So what about all the other poor games he has had ? :undecided: