NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Horseshit mate.

Wullie yesterday as an example. Just saying.

Wullie was one of the biggest critics of the Shepherd regime on this board, for many years. You're massively misinterpreting his point if you think he believed everything was rosy up to 2007.

Horseshit mate.

Wullie yesterday as an example. Just saying.

Wullie was one of the biggest critics of the Shepherd regime on this board, for many years. You're massively misinterpreting his point if you think he believed everything was rosy up to 2007.

Aye, he's been a miserable cunt since I've been on here like.  :thup:

I don't think many people loved the Shepherd regime and are only criticising Ashley in comparison, there are many real reasons to criticise him.

On the other hand though, reckless overspending is a lot more exciting and easy to support than reckless underspending.

My main criticism of Shepherd is the amount of personal gain he made and the fact he created the conditions for Ashley to come in and have to cut costs.

I French friend of mine who's a Lens fan says that Situ is very highly rated over there...

Lens has 4 Top young propests (young international)

Darnel Situ, William Rémy, Alexandre Coeff and Mehdi Abeid

Will we catch  the last one later?

That's absolute nonsense Nut.

My quite clearly tongue-in-cheek point was in response to Tron's ridiculous assertion that the current set up and the current team is superior to a typical team under Shepherd.

Referring to Tron's quotes about the Hollywood style signings surrounded by the Pattison's, Ramage's, O'Brien's, etc.

The good times were despite Shepherd not because of him. John Hall was the driving force behind appointing Bobby Robson, he wanted to appoint him earlier but Shepherd and Hall Jr. persuaded him to appoint Dalglish instead.

His comment also ignores the good times under Shepherd. There have been none under Ashley, nor will there be.

Was just about to apologise after the first post, then that came up. If we hadn't been so screwed when Shepherd left it might have been easier for good times to have followed.

Guest johnson293

The good times were despite Shepherd not because of him. John Hall was the driving force behind appointing Bobby Robson, he wanted to appoint him earlier but Shepherd and Hall Jr. persuaded him to appoint Dalglish instead.

I thought they did approach/offer Bobby the job (when KK left), but he wouldn't walk away from Barcelona at the time?

Aye, everyone was delighted then. People are just being unreasonable towards Ashley. :lol:

Yeah get off his back ffs  :lol:

But seriously, of course it isn't unreasonable to expect strong signings at left back and striker given where the club is now, it's a necessity. But you have to admit that for many years we seem to have been waiting for gaps to be filled as the end of August approaches. And it isn't just us, every year there is a lot of business done close to the end of the window as club chairmen decide at what point their brinkmanship needs to end. I've said on here before my real concern in the whole process of us bringing players in isn't Carr, Pardew or even Ashley, it's Llambias. And my reference to Sibs and Bernard was simply that it struck me that was the last time we had the same two gaps to fill and what came out of it was underwhelming to say the least.

I thought they did approach/offer Bobby the job (when KK left), but he wouldn't walk away from Barcelona at the time?

Correct, he turned us down as he was contracted to Barca.  He really wanted it but was loyal to Barca, the next season he was sacked as manager but kept on as a scout, i think.

In the mean time we sack Dog leash, Hall pushes for Bobby again and dick Shep and dick face Hall junior go for gullit.

Then, once we sacked gullit we went for Bobby.

I shudder to think of what SBR could have done with what KK had left, sickens me to be honest and ever the players Dog leash left, SBR could have had a midfeild of Speed, Lee and Batty  :facepalm:

How long will that excuse wash Nut? Are we going to hearing defence of Ashley in 2015, 2020 when he sells another top player  and the money disappears because of 'wot Freddy did'?

It's a valid excuse as to why we're not a top 4-6 club certainly imo. We're where we are when he came in, and have the basis or a cracking squad with Krul, Coloccini, Taylor, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas, Barton, Marveaux, Ba, Ben Arfa...two signings before September 1st, and even if we lose the derby I think we could have a good crack at top 8.

I'm all in favour of getting value for money with our signings and not pissing away cash on expensive signings who are on downward spirals but this is getting stupid now.

Just pay the fucking money and buy some players.

How long will that excuse wash Nut? Are we going to hearing defence of Ashley in 2015, 2020 when he sells another top player  and the money disappears because of 'wot Freddy did'?

It's a valid excuse as to why we're not a top 4-6 club certainly imo. We're where we are when he came in, and have the basis or a cracking squad with Krul, Coloccini, Taylor, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas, Barton, Marveaux, Ba, Ben Arfa...two signings before September 1st, and even if we lose the derby I think we could have a good crack at top 8.

we had the basis of a cracking squad in january, and a pretty good team i should add. we've since sold the two best players, replaced one of them with a vastly cheaper and more than likely shitter option and have yet to even bother replacing the other. leopards dont change their spots, we'll keep doing it.

I am just going off a John Hall quote at the time. He said he was good friends with Bobby and had discussed the job with him but his son and Freddie were more keen on Dalglish. Hall seems to have a lot more football sense than many. He was recommending Martinez as a potentially good manager a long time before he became a household name.

We were told these players would be in before going to America.

Then the Leeds match.

Then the Fiorentina match.

Don't worry they'll be in for the start of the season.

Well one will definitely be in for the Sunderland match.

When does this end? Does it end? With 7 months of preparation, it is completely out of order that we're still searching for ideas this late.

Or how about 94-5 when we went 6 months with Kitson, Beardsley & Mathie?

People again making it out as if this is something unique to Ashley and this club.

And yet it's the same every single summer.

You're right, I remember starting the 05-06 season with Shearer, Shola & Chopra as our only 3 strikers for the first 4 games.

Had we sold £45 million worth of players (or even a relative amount) these summers?

Ah, 20:20 hindsight.

Were you complaining when Dalglish or Gullit were appointed? I don't remember any dissent whatsoever.

Correct, he turned us down as he was contracted to Barca.  He really wanted it but was loyal to Barca, the next season he was sacked as manager but kept on as a scout, i think.

In the mean time we sack Dog leash, Hall pushes for Bobby again and dick Shep and dick face Hall junior go for gullit.

Then, once we sacked gullit we went for Bobby.

I shudder to think of what SBR could have done with what KK had left, sickens me to be honest and ever the players Dog leash left, SBR could have had a midfeild of Speed, Lee and Batty  :facepalm:

How long will that excuse wash Nut? Are we going to hearing defence of Ashley in 2015, 2020 when he sells another top player  and the money disappears because of 'wot Freddy did'?

we had the basis of a cracking squad in january, and a pretty good team i should add. we've since sold the two best players, replaced one of them with a vastly cheaper and more than likely shitter option and have yet to even bother replacing the other. leopards dont change their spots, we'll keep doing it.

Don't get me wrong what we achieve is despite what Ashley does not because of him.

But even without Carroll & Enrique, if we get a decent striker & left-back in the next fortnight, added to the players such as Cabaye & Marveaux who've came since then, I think we can do well.

Obviously if that doesn't happen, then aye, poor.