Championship Play offs

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Phil K

Whoever comes up will go straight back down.

Forest look the best bet to survive, and I doubt they would.

I've always wondered if the play-offs should be:

5th vs 6th (ie 5th at home)

4th vs winner of above

3rd vs winner of above

So the higher you finish, the fewer games you have to play in order to win promotion and the more home advantage you get.

4th vs winner of above

3rd vs winner of above

So the higher you finish, the fewer games you have to play in order to win promotion and the more home advantage you get.

Would definitely make sense.

4th vs winner of above

3rd vs winner of above

Would definitely make sense.

5th at home v 6th would be a plan.

4th vs winner of above.

3rd vs winner of above at Wembley.

I'd also let away team fans have half the home stadium if required as well. obviously a bit harder if you have a West Ham/ Millwall sort of situation but the principle is good.

4th vs winner of above

3rd vs winner of above

Conceivably worse for 3rd placed who'd lose some momentum? Interesting idea, though.

Am I the only one who hates the term 'away goals count double' ?

I see it as just a method of deciding the outcome of a draw.  I mean, they don't really count double do they, you don't actually get two goals when you score away from home.

4th vs winner of above

3rd vs winner of above

I think I said the same thing a little while back in the Champions League play off thread, but I do agree with you, it's similar to the Champons League play off system that they want to create. This way it gives the 3rd placed team a real advantage while still giving the other teams a chance.

4th vs winner of above

3rd vs winner of above

Conceivably worse for 3rd placed who'd lose some momentum? Interesting idea, though.

Not really, it would only be a two/three week break or similar, similar to an international break.

Am I the only one who hates the term 'away goals count double' ?

I see it as just a method of deciding the outcome of a draw.  I mean, they don't really count double do they, you don't actually get two goals when you score away from home.

I was just about to complain at you for using the term 'away goals count double', until I read the rest.

I had a massive argument about this before, with an Arsenal fan, who play in Europe all the time! Thought they actually counted double.

Guest toonlass

I see that the noisy Leicester fan didn't come back,  :lol: . Shame, I wanted his opinion on the play-off final. I am pleased its Cardiff v Blackpool. Hope Blackpool win it tho, but wouldn't cry if Cardiff won either tbh.

Guest Heneage

Ignoring his penalty miss, I've been impressed with Waghorn, he looks a very good prospect.

4th vs winner of above

3rd vs winner of above

why not just promote third place, it worked for us in 84.

4th vs winner of above

3rd vs winner of above

why not just promote third place, it worked for us in 84.

The play-offs are class IMO.

One of the best things about the Football League.

Guest Geordiesned

Charlton beating the Mackems in the play off final being talked about on sky sports 2 now. :)