The Liverpool Thread

Parky

3-0 seems ridiculous bearing in mind they lost Suarez, replaced him with a useless Balo (net loss of 14,000 goals), Sturridge has spent all year injured, they're 5th in the league and they got to the FA Cup semi final.... soz like

Guest firetotheworks

I'd have preferred him to go to the final and then lost, but it would have been too much of a risk.

Think Rodgers will be a viable option for you guys, come this summer.  :whistle:

Today the sad reality hit that he's likely to be a "winner without winning" type of manager. Moyes-esque.

Aston villa were made to look like prime Barcelona, whereas we played with so much fear and a non-existent game plan. 3rd big game bottled in space of less than a month. You can't expect to win trophies when you play players out of sentimentality in cup semis or refuse to adopt to to your ideals. Idealism is very dangerous.

Normally, I don't do the whole "supporters of club x are all y" thing. We're all fans, ultimately, and have more in common than divides us.

However, really, Liverpool's support at the match on Sunday was horrific.

I did a full circuit of the stadium before the match, and really, it was a vision of football hell. So many red foam hands, jester hats, fucking half and half scarves, whole nervous looking families clad in replica shirts, grown adults looking like they'd been in a hurricane inside the club shop.

During the match I was bang on the halfway line in the middle, neutral level, and the lack of noise from them was almost total. Bar YNWA at the start (which got booed out, anyway) and an outburst of that horrible "Fields of Anfield Road" song after they scored, that was pretty much the lot.

I appreciate it's partly because they get to big matches far more often than we do, so maybe they're blase' about it, but really, it was absolutely shocking stuff.

I thought maybe I was being overly critical, so looked on RAWK and there's a thread there of them saying exactly the same thing. Their away support (which is similar when they come to VP) seems to be disproportionately made up of passive day trippers who have bought into the "brand", the result of which is that they manage to combine impressive numbers with truly poor noise.

I have little against Liverpool. I hated them winning everything in the 70s and 80s, yes, but I have way, way more distaste for Man United. What I don't get is how, when, say, Man United come and play us, their support seems to be made up mostly of Mancs, who make very good noise, yet when we play Liverpool, there's hardly a scouse accent amongst them? Do Liverpool have some strange ticket allocation system going on which makes this possible?

Before, during and after the match, we got chatting to some scouse Liverpool fans, who were, to a man, a good bunch, and after the match, really magnanimous in defeat, but coming home, I was thinking how I actually feel sorry for them.

That RAWK thread is really worth a read. I know Liverpool traditionally have a bit of antagonism between their regional support and the rest, and thought that Reclaim the Kop thing was cringemaking, but after Sunday, I am starting to understand the problem a bit more.

Think Rodgers will be a viable option for you guys, come this summer.  :whistle:

Today the sad reality hit that he's likely to be a "winner without winning" type of manager. Moyes-esque.

Aston villa were made to look like prime Barcelona, whereas we played with so much fear and a non-existent game plan. 3rd big game bottled in space of less than a month. You can't expect to win trophies when you play players out of sentimentality in cup semis or refuse to adopt to to your ideals. Idealism is very dangerous.

You reminded me of us this season under Lambert.

Constant tactics fiddling, enough passing the ball around, zero purpose. Team didn't look like they knew what they were doing.

What on earth was Rodgers thinking bringing Rickie Lambert on on 91 minutes? You're losing, Brendan. You're wasting time, which is what we're supposed to be doing.

We played well, but I can honestly say I've seen us play better than that this season, and come away with less, and sometimes nothing.

Rodgers strikes me as an informed tactician, but one who doesn't really get how to make it work on the pitch, especially when the opposition aren't making it easy for you.

It's also worth noting that only QPR currently have more injured players than we do. We played on Sunday with a not very good right winger at right back and a really poor midfielder at left back. We also had our best defender this season - Clark who has improved out of all recognition this year - out, and also were without Agbonlahor, who, despite not being exactly prolific, usually does well for us in matches like this.

On top of that, we lost Baker in the first half, and had a 19 year old who had only started one game in his life playing.

I'm the most pessimistic Villa fan you'll find, but I genuinely didn't think we'd lose that game for a moment on Sunday.

Liverpool really need to be a bit worried.