The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Rodgers is too young to manage England, international management is largely an old man's game these days.

Klinsmann, van Basten, Speed, Ketsbaia - lots of managers take over their national team at a "young" age.

Not sure why Rodgers would want to manage England, considering he's from N.Ireland.

Yep, lord knows that if anyone is going to hate the English, it's going to be a Northern Irishman.

He's hardly going to itch to leave one of the greatest clubs in the world to manage a national team that he most likely doesn't hold any affinity with.

It's hardly about "hate" or rivalry.

Not sure why Rodgers would want to manage England, considering he's from N.Ireland.

if nothing else because it's arguably the biggest challenge in international football and he might want to take that challenge on at some point, the same way he's taken on the challenge of making one of english football's most successful teams successful again

he'd not take it for a few years like i'm sure, even if england came calling, but it strikes me as something the guy would be up for later on

Drogba - 226 games, 100 goals & 55 assists

Henry - 254 games, 174 goals & 80 assists

Stats don't normally tell the whole story but I think they're conclusive on this occasion.

Drogba had a few relatively poor seasons in terms of goals and assists. Ranging from a side that dominated the league to finishing 6th.

Rodgers is too young to manage England, international management is largely an old man's game these days.

Klinsmann, van Basten, Speed, Ketsbaia - lots of managers take over their national team at a "young" age.

Fair point.  None of those have/had much experience though, it seems like a lot of managers use international football to kickstart/conclude their careers.  A manager in his prime (Rodgers, Mourinho, etc) wouldn't waste their time with it though, which is sort of what I was getting at in my usual muddled way.

Yep, lord knows that if anyone is going to hate the English, it's going to be a Northern Irishman.

Martin O'Neill openly wanted the job before so that's a load of Tom Tit for starters.

We're talking about single seasons, though. Nobody is disputing that Henry was more consistent over a long period.

Drogba had a better season than Henry in 2002-03 when he scored 24 and assisted 23 more?

I very much doubt that, in fact i know he didn't. :lol:

Drogba - 226 games, 100 goals & 55 assists

Henry - 254 games, 174 goals & 80 assists

Stats don't normally tell the whole story but I think they're conclusive on this occasion.

Drogba had a few relatively poor seasons in terms of goals and assists. Ranging from a side that dominated the league to finishing 6th.

OK. I still don't get where the debate is going. Are you saying Drogba was better than Henry if you don't include his poor seasons?

Follow the conversation. It's about individual seasons.

I was making a comment in general. And yes, there was one season where Henry's and Ronaldo's football were making PL defenders look like school kids.

I'm not disagreeing. But there's a debate around who had the best season out of Drogba/Henry.  There's no discussion really when you throw in consistency.

Henry in 2002/2003 season was probably the best individual season of any player in the Premier League era.

The thing about Henry was that, while in a fantastic team he was the only one putting up crazy numbers. Same with Cronaldo.

In the year Drogba should've won Player of the Season Chelsea would beat teams 4,5,6 at the Bridge regularly. They broke the goal scoring record too.  Players like Malouda and Kalou got something like 20 goals between them if I'm thinking of the correct season.

Same thing with Suarez, L'pool will most likely break that record. While I've always rated Sturridge highly he's on course for practically a 1 goal in 1 game ratio.

Guest Howaythetoon

Andy Cole's 34 league goals in 40 games season was for me the most impressive of any individual. Lets not forget he was 21 and playing in the top-flight for the first time in a newly promoted team. Sensational figures and amazing individual performances. Henry, Ronaldo, Rooney, Shearer and Drogba have all had stellar seasons in the past and Suarez is having one this season, but for me Cole's season is/was the more impressive. Although if Suarez keeps going the way he is scoring and assisting it will have to be his season as the best ever for an individual in the PL.