James Perch

BeloEmre

He was okay, did what he needed to. That instance in the first half when he tried to dribble the ball past someone (Ramires?) and they won the ball and Chelsea nearly scored. :lol:

No, James. No.

Mata found space in the hole way too often. He never tracked Lampard either. Think he did a poor job.

in the second half he was having to come out a lot more than he wanted to due to cabayes lack of legs.

He's a very ordinary player but I think him playing instead of Anita does make sense in a lot of ways. When Perch plays in CM it's clear that his job is to be the holding midfielder. He'll sit in front of the defence and try and move the ball on as quickly as possible when it comes to him.

The major plus of this is that it allows Cabaye to play a more expansive game as he's got a partner in CM who he knows is going to be holding position, protecting the CB's.

When Cabaye and Tiote play together they seem to often end up trying to share the holding/creative responsibilities and the end result is that neither of them does anything very effectively. I'd worry it'd be the same if Cabaye and Anita played together, neither are really what I'd classify as holding midfielders.

Really hope that Pardew will have the sense to use Tiote in the role we saw Perch in today. Cheick's quite poor when we have the ball but when our opponents have it he's immense, we need to start using him in a more effective way.

Tiote/Perch and then two from Cabaye/Sissoko/Anita moving forward IMO. Maybe in home games against lesser opposition you could start the latter three together.

He's a very ordinary player but I think him playing instead of Anita does make sense in a lot of ways. When Perch plays in CM it's clear that his job is to be the holding midfielder. He'll sit in front of the defence and try and move the ball on as quickly as possible when it comes to him.

The major plus of this is that it allows Cabaye to play a more expansive game as he's got a partner in CM who he knows is going to be holding position, protecting the CB's.

When Cabaye and Tiote play together they seem to often end up trying to share the holding/creative responsibilities and the end result is that neither of them does anything very effectively. I'd worry it'd be the same if Cabaye and Anita played together, neither are really what I'd classify as holding midfielders.

Really hope that Pardew will have the sense to use Tiote in the role we saw Perch in today. Cheick's quite poor when we have the ball but when our opponents have it he's immense, we need to start using him in a more effective way.

Tiote/Perch and then two from Cabaye/Sissoko/Anita moving forward IMO. Maybe in home games against lesser opposition you could start the latter three together.

Anita isn't an attacking player though, i keep saying it and it keeps falling on death ears.

He's a straight up DM and the only reason he was playing so far forward before because he was more creative than any other player we had fit and quite frankly was quicker and technically better too.

When he plays DM( mostly from Ajax days) he hardly goes past the half way line, he just wins the ball gets it and gives it in a very economic manner in a Busquets style if you will.

It really does worry me how poorly he's being used and it depresses me that Perch is in front of him as he could do what Perch has done in last couple of games and better in his sleep.

I have not seen him used correctly since he joined this club and hope that changes in the near future.

Anita isn't an attacking player though, i keep saying it and it keeps falling on death ears.

He's a straight up DM and the only reason he was playing so far forward before because he was more creative than any other player we had fit and quite frankly was quicker and technically better too.

When he plays DM( mostly from Ajax days) he hardly goes past the half way line, he just wins the ball gets it and gives it in a very economic manner in a Busquets style if you will.

It really does worry me how poorly he's being used and it depresses me that Perch is in front of him as he could do what Perch has done in last couple of games and better in his sleep.

I have not seen him used correctly since he joined this club and hope that changes in the near future.

What about his performances thus far in England lead you to believe this, though? I understand how he played in Holland, but Afonso Alves played liek Robert Van Persie in Holland, it doesn't always translate especially from that league in particular. The calibre and physicality of players is of a higher level in England.

He's not been used correctly in this country though.... he's even been used as a AM, fullback, some cases a defensive winger or a very poor version of a B2B CM.

He's never been used as a DM in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, the only times he has been used as a DM has been in 4-4-2 and the less said about that the better.

If Leon Britton or Joe Allen can play as a DM in this league then there's no reason at all why Anita can't.

Its his best position, its the position where he performed best in Holland which got him this move in the first place.

Basically he's been a victim of his versatility, work rate and technical ability.

I really do hope we don't look back on his time here the same way i look back on Hugo Viana's time here.... 2 massively talented footballers but both ( so far in relation to Anita) horribly misused.

Anita looks to me like his best role is playing where Cabaye did yesterday. Operating from fairly deep but constantly on the move, looking to get attacks started.

I never saw him play for Ajax tbh but if you say he was a DM there then maybe. I think what Pardew wants more is a physical presence though, someone who'll intimidate the opposition and throw in some strong challenges when necessary. From what I've seen of Anita so far he looks more a creator than a destroyer.

From the one game I watched of Anita at Ajax, Mole is right. He was the deepest of a three man midfield who was comfortable and smart in possession, only occasionally made a run forward. And we're seeing other players just as small as him play very deep right now.

It's nice to have these debates tbh because although he isn't ever going to be the standout player I think Perch is very good at what he does and it allows our more talented players to have a bigger impact on games. Trying to fit Anita into the side means we are in a good place squad wise.

Perch is like a shoe lace, you don't buy the trainers because of the laces but without them you aren't going to be comfortable and will look a div with them flopping off your feet every time you take a step.

:coolsmiley:

It's nice to have these debates tbh because although he isn't ever going to be the standout player I think Perch is very good at what he does and it allows our more talented players to have a bigger impact on games. Trying to fit Anita into the side means we are in a good place squad wise.

Perch is like a shoe lace, you don't buy the trainers because of the laces but without them you aren't going to be comfortable and will look a div with them flopping off your feet every time you take a step.

:lol:  :clap:

What about his performances thus far in England lead you to believe this, though? I understand how he played in Holland, but Afonso Alves played liek Robert Van Persie in Holland, it doesn't always translate especially from that league in particular. The calibre and physicality of players is of a higher level in England.

Aye that BVP was something special  :laugh2:

:lol:  :clap:

willo & simmo must have been the splits on the right side of the join that allowed the sole to flap off a bit letting water in and a little bit of loose sock to stick out.

I like him and thought he played well enough yesterday, but he didn't always do his job properly. Completely lost Lampard for that chance in the first half, and I thought he should have been a lot closer to Mata for the goal too. He's a useful squad player who I'd want to play against Spurs, but when Southampton come to SJP, I'd much rather Anita was there instead.

Bet Perch can't believe his luck like. Surrounded by 52,000 supporters and playing with such quality players.

He was on his way out a couple of years ago.

It's not really his luck, tbf. He's still here because he stepped up his game and became a useful squad player.

Bet Perch can't believe his luck like. Surrounded by 52,000 supporters and playing with such quality players.

He was on his way out a couple of years ago.

It's not really his luck, tbf. He's still here because he stepped up his game and became a useful squad player.

Didn't really mean it like that, but I see your point.

He's worked for it, but I still bet you he never seen this coming a few years ago.