James Perch

BeloEmre

Guest firetotheworks

A right back who they're not too bothered about going, and think is decent CCC player. That's an improvement on paper over Simpson for me.

It's a start.

At least Hughton is identifying and actioning positions that need padding out. As said, he had a blinder against us, and I recall a lot of people at the time we were linked with him in Jan saying it would be a good signing.

By no means a profile signing, but it's a low risk signing that could turn out to be a decent bit of business, and not the end of the world if it's not. I'll reserve full judgement until I've seen him a few times, but he's looked decent from the very little I've seen of him.

For those dismissing the reaction of Forest fans, look just how large a majority, across just how many forums are gleeful over this. Usually, if the player is good, there is some sort of divide, but over Perch, joy is pretty much ubiquitous.

Strangely they didn't sound so gutted when our bid in January was rejected.  Most of them were glad to see him stay..

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Anything other than a host of own goals from this guy, judging by reactions, will be a positive success story!

So if we are to believe the press (which we shouldn't, but still.) Forest declined a £1.5m "derisory" bid in January, but accept a £1m bid now? Bit strange, or? ???

Think it's a good signing btw. Not in a thinking it's a good player without having seen him in more than one match kind of way, but in a "we really need to strenghten/cover that position" kind of way. Hopefully he'll prove us all wrong and be good enough for the Prem.

Guest neesy111

Is it definitely £1m??? He's a back-up Championship player in the last year of his contract, so that price is a bit mad.

we paid 1.5M for leon best when he had 6 months left on his contract....

Is it definitely £1m??? He's a back-up Championship player in the last year of his contract, so that price is a bit mad.

I've heard £500k.

I'm not too arsed. He was great against us and he provides cover for pretty much every position. I doubt he'll be anything other than a bench warmer once Simpson is fully fit plus he keeps Ryan Taylor further away from the starting XI.

http://img.skysports.com/08/01/218x298/Ryan_Taylor_630137.jpg

Guest Splodgely

Poor signing. He's simply not good enough tbh. The reaction from the Forest fans say it all,surely 1 of them would be disappointed. This reaction is from the fans of a team full of Championship fodder, look at his competition at full back at forest; Chambers, Bennett and Gunter yet they're happy no delighted to see him go.

Bennett's a crocked left back, so no competition, Chamber's a centre back, and Gunter's a fucking fantastic right back and the best we've had for over a decade and arguably our best player.

For those dismissing the reaction of Forest fans, look just how large a majority, across just how many forums are gleeful over this. Usually, if the player is good, there is some sort of divide, but over Perch, joy is pretty much ubiquitous.

Strangely they didn't sound so gutted when our bid in January was rejected.  Most of them were glad to see him stay..

Several reasons for that. Firstly, the opinion you all took was from LTLF, which is notoriously juvenile. Secondly, a lot of our fans hadn't seen Perch get a good run in the team in his supposedly preferred position of right back, nor had many seen him play much for Billy Davies at all, so consequently a fair few fans were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. This benefit has now run out, as he got his opportunity and aside from the game against you guys (when he still allowed Gutierrez to get away for your first goal), was absolutely woeful. Thirdly, it was seen more as a statement of intent from our board then anything inherently positive about Perch. For some reason, many fans believed that we were still in competition with you guys, and so refusing a bid from you, irrespective of who it was for, was neverthless a sign of intention from our board (given our sparse January window, any type of 'intention' was jumped upon quickly). Fourthly, we had no back-up for Gunter, no left back of any sort, and a squad of about 20 players, most of which were attacking and not defensive players. We needed him. At least now we can easily replace him.

As I said, I was on here in January defending Perch against your guys criticism (funny how now you've got him, you're all happy), and I'd have been happy to keep him as a squad player. However, I'd be upset if we had to rely on him in the Championship - as we did - nevermind the Premiership. He was consistently our worst player after the game against you guys, and considering he was partly at fault for your first goal then, that says something I think.

It's also not taking into account how the majority of this forum didn't rate James Milner when he left.

We're all aware there's better out there but give our budget and caliber of manager we aren't going to be rooting up trees in the transfer market. I'm underwhelmed but I'll give the lad a chance before I start deeming him not good enough.

It's also not taking into account how the majority of this forum didn't rate James Milner when he left.

as a winger, in his time here he didnt tear up any tree's. I must admit at the time I thought 12M was a good deal if we were going to reinvest it. Sadly we didnt and he's come on a great deal at Villa whilst playing through the middle.

Poor signing. He's simply not good enough tbh. The reaction from the Forest fans say it all,surely 1 of them would be disappointed. This reaction is from the fans of a team full of Championship fodder, look at his competition at full back at forest; Chambers, Bennett and Gunter yet they're happy no delighted to see him go.

Bennett's a crocked left back, so no competition, Chamber's a centre back, and Gunter's a f***ing fantastic right back and the best we've had for over a decade and arguably our best player.

Several reasons for that. Firstly, the opinion you all took was from LTLF, which is notoriously juvenile. Secondly, a lot of our fans hadn't seen Perch get a good run in the team in his supposedly preferred position of right back, nor had many seen him play much for Billy Davies at all, so consequently a fair few fans were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. This benefit has now run out, as he got his opportunity and aside from the game against you guys (when he still allowed Gutierrez to get away for your first goal), was absolutely woeful. Thirdly, it was seen more as a statement of intent from our board then anything inherently positive about Perch. For some reason, many fans believed that we were still in competition with you guys, and so refusing a bid from you, irrespective of who it was for, was neverthless a sign of intention from our board (given our sparse January window, any type of 'intention' was jumped upon quickly). Fourthly, we had no back-up for Gunter, no left back of any sort, and a squad of about 20 players, most of which were attacking and not defensive players. We needed him. At least now we can easily replace him.

As I said, I was on here in January defending Perch against your guys criticism (funny how now you've got him, you're all happy), and I'd have been happy to keep him as a squad player. However, I'd be upset if we had to rely on him in the Championship - as we did - nevermind the Premiership. He was consistently our worst player after the game against you guys, and considering he was partly at fault for your first goal then, that says something I think.

Have you ever seen Danny Simpson or Ryan Taylor play by any chance?

There is nothing to suggest that Perch is a key signing for us by the way, he could soley be getting bought to add to our thin squad. I think because he is our first signing he is getting too much attention, I wouldnt start having kittens about it until the season starts and we see what kind of role he plays and indeed what other players we bring in. For now I am just feeling positive that we are actually buying when for ages we thought we wouldnt.

Its great to see we're being pro-active and actually making signings early/before most teams- something we've rarely done in the past.

Carl Cort 05/07/2000

Craig Bellamy 25/06/2001

Robbie Elliott 02/07/2001

Hugo Viana 22/06/2002

Lee Bowyer 01/07/2003

James Milner 02/07/2004

Scott Parker 15/06/2005

Craig Moore 01/07/2005

Mark Viduka 07/06/2007

Joey Barton 14/06/2007

David Rozehnal 29/06/2007

Geremi 03/07/2007

Jonas Gutierrez 02/07/2008

Sebastien Bassong  01/07/2008

Guest Splodgely

Bennett's a crocked left back, so no competition, Chamber's a centre back, and Gunter's a f***ing fantastic right back and the best we've had for over a decade and arguably our best player.

Have you ever seen Danny Simpson or Ryan Taylor play by any chance?

At least Taylor can shoot...don't let Perch near the opposition area, it'll just be ballooned over!

Its great to see we're being pro-active and actually making signings early/before most teams- something we've rarely done in the past.

Carl Cort 05/07/2000

Craig Bellamy 25/06/2001

Hugo Viana 22/06/2002

Lee Bowyer 01/07/2003

James Milner 02/07/2004

Scott Parker 15/06/2005

Craig Moore 01/07/2005

Mark Viduka 07/06/2007

Joey Barton 14/06/2007

Geremi 03/07/2007

Sebastien Bassong 01/07/2008

Bassong definitely wasn't the 1st of July. He played in a pre-season friendly before he signed, so it must have been later, and also signed way after Jonas

Carl Cort 05/07/2000

Craig Bellamy 25/06/2001

Hugo Viana 22/06/2002

Lee Bowyer 01/07/2003

James Milner 02/07/2004

Scott Parker 15/06/2005

Craig Moore 01/07/2005

Mark Viduka 07/06/2007

Joey Barton 14/06/2007

Geremi 03/07/2007

Sebastien Bassong  01/07/2008

My point being that so many times over the recent years we've all been sweating it on the last night of the transfer window praying we get a couple of extra bodies in, but it never happens. Its good to see we're starting early(ish).

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40893.20

the forest fans dont seem to rate him that much

"goodbye to bad rubbish"

He is bollocks, my lass and all her family are forest fans/season ticket holders and are now laughing.

He's defensively minded but better on the ball than most of our lot in the centre of the park.

No, he isn't. He's defensively minded because he's a defender. He can tackle, but I wouldn't trust him with a long pass or to show some flair. I want a decent fee for him simply because we have no back-up to Gunter and Perch is more than good enough to hold his own if need be, but I doubt he'll become more than a squad player for us.

Just thought I'd point out that they don't seem to have changed their minds as much as some are now making out.

My dad's a Forest fan and retired sports writer, he says he's a decent player, won't be outstanding in the prem but should be able to deal with it without any problems. Also said better than Simpson, but not as good as Gunter.