James Perch

BeloEmre

Guest hydeous

He's a good replacement for Colo. If Saylor was out, I think we would've seen Williamson.

Well played today. Solid if unspectacular.

Maybe Obertan can overcome his ridicule and become an important back up option like Perch :)

Fair play it could have been easy to Perch to look for football elsewhere but he had knuckled down and become an important squad member. Due to his versatility I would imagine as long as he is fit he'll be on the bench.

Yeah I was surprised he got the nod over Williamson initially, but I guess Perch's style would compliment Taylor's better than Williamson. Have they ever started a game together by the way?

Having a midget like Defoe in their team was probably a factor in choosing Perch over Williamson. Perch is a better bet than the slow-turning Williamson against an agile Defoe. It also helps that they have no Adebayor to own Perch in the air, which is a definite weakness of his.

Yeah I was surprised he got the nod over Williamson initially, but I guess Perch's style would compliment Taylor's better than Williamson. Have they ever started a game together by the way?

Having a midget like Defoe in their team was probably a factor in choosing Perch over Williamson. Perch is a better bet than the slow-turning Williamson against an agile Defoe. It also helps that they have no Adebayor to own Perch in the air, which is a definite weakness of his.

Yep, I was very impressed that Pards hadn't just stuck to a 'pecking order' and chose Taylor's partner to compliment him and also to potentially counteract the threat of Defoe better.

Yep, I was very impressed that Pards hadn't just stuck to a 'pecking order' and chose Taylor's partner to compliment him and also to potentially counteract the threat of Defoe better.

Exactly. Pardew made the right tactical call while everyone else was debating Williamson losing his place as 3rd choice CH. It worked a treat. Kudos to Pards for showing wise tactical flexibility. :thup:

Perch just seemed to suddenly 'get it'.  He looked like a fish out of water when he first came and for a good while afterwards but at some point he just seems to have relaxed and everything clicked for him.  Looks composed and competent nowadays.

Perch is great. Nowadays I'm confident he'll do well in whatever position he plays. Biggest improvement ever when you look at his first games?

I think so. Great lad.

Tempted to stick him up front in Athens and see how he does. ;D

both centre back did well i give them credit but at the same time i take with the other hand.

spuds had little turdboy defoe upfront , and it was mainly just him alone spearheading their attack.  plus defoe is a midget.  not exactly an afternoon of aerial threats our centrebacks had to worry about.

all in all he still a tricky little geezer with rapid pace and they delt with him pretty good.

cant complain.

Individually I think both of the centre-halves played well, but we frequently looked all over the place when they were breaking.

Still, to be expected considering the lack of Colo. They did enough. :thup:

I thought the same, they both played well but we missed something without Coloccini who gives us a bit more confidence and stability when defending as a unit.  I don’t know what it was but some of our defending seemed to be a bit more rushed yesterday, Coloccini being in the defence adds calmness which we didn’t have.

To be fair his aerial weakness only stems from his lack of height. He still has a canny leap on him. Remember him last year beating Caroll in the air.

I can see him getting quite a few games this year as he's probably first choice back up for a few positions. I used to think Pardew was an idiot when he get bringing him on for the last half an hour in a string of games. But I'm quickly learning not to doubt/question anything Pards does.

• 5 weeks later...

Nearly cost us the game just before half time when he dallied on the pass from Harper and whoever went through and shot wide. I'd be happy never to see him at full back again, he must have had 1 good game in about 10 there, stick to him playing the breaker role in the middle when we need him.