James Perch

BeloEmre

I don't understand why he gets played a right back and have no idea why Anita was taken off and Perch sent back to right back. 

Perch can look good in the middle but we're short out wide when he plays on the right.

It's been mentioned before but Anita was a target at the back post for diagonals. Perch has the height/strength advantage.

Anita also likes to get forward, not long before he came off Norwich broke and he was stranded near their 18 yard line.

I don't understand why he gets played a right back and have no idea why Anita was taken off and Perch sent back to right back. 

Perch can look good in the middle but we're short out wide when he plays on the right.

Because they was pumping the ball, Perch got better aerial ability. And Anita has been playing almost every game so far.

Wasn't the captain at Forest for nothing. He clearly has the right attitude and approach towards the game, and I'm so glad we've seen he has the football application to match. Looked way out of his depth in his first few games at the club, but my word, what a turnaround.

Would not look out of place in our best 11. There's very little between him and Gutierrez at the moment in terms of effectiveness.

Looks better as DM than Anita at the minute. Not sure why we even started Anita in midfield when for the last two games he has looked better switched with Perch to RB.

Think he deserves a run in midfield tbh. His passing is decent, passion undeniable and decision making probably better than Tiotes.

He's better in midfield against physical opposition.  For a DM/central midfielder he's big. Looks taller than anyone else that plays there for us and he's obviously strong in the challenge and good in the air for that position. I reckon Pards thought we would dominate possession against Norwich and would need a better passer of the ball in that position. Anita, Cabaye & Jonas is a lightweight midfield. With Tiote back we might not need Perch in midfield.

Guest firetotheworks

It's really easy to like players like Perch. They know their limits, cover them, play to their strengths and don't take any risks.

Williamson is exactly the same imo, yet people don't seem to appreciate him for it. Maybe if Williamson had started off terribly and then got to the level he is now, then he'd get more credit. That's not to put a downer on what Perch has done. I have a lot of time for him and backed him throughout his time here.

Saw him at the Metro Centre a few weeks ago - he was 10-pin bowling with his family. Literally dozens of people tapping him up for pics (my kids included), and he couldn't have been a nicer bloke.

I told him his was one of the biggest turnarounds I've ever seen from a Newcastle player and asked him what he thinks of the "Perchinho" chant. He laughed and said he loved it.

The whole episode made me absurdly happy.

Saw him at the Metro Centre a few weeks ago - he was 10-pin bowling with his family. Literally dozens of people tapping him up for pics (my kids included), and he couldn't have been a nicer bloke.

I told him his was one of the biggest turnarounds I've ever seen from a Newcastle player and asked him what he thinks of the "Perchinho" chant. He laughed and said he loved it.

I've met him a few times and as you say, he's a lovely bloke. Made up for him.

I've met him a few times and as you say, he's a lovely bloke. Made up for him.

Exactly the type of person we want in our club and contrast that to some of the dicks we had 5-10 years ago.

He is now an invaluable player for us with the versatility and attitude he brings and was excellent again on Sunday. The appalling behaviour of some of our "fans" towards him initially just ticks another box as it proves he has the mental strength needed too.

Just wish those who seem to always need a scapegoat would learn and lay off Obertan or whoever else it is they're getting on to at any given time.

Just wish those who seem to always need a scapegoat would learn and lay off Obertan or whoever else it is they're getting on to at any given time.

The high horse brigade are hilarious at times :lol:

Ridiculous isn't it. I particularly like the 'scapegoat' angle. A scapegoat for what exactly? We had a tremendous season last year, we didn't need a scapegoat, Obertan was just rightly called up on being shit. It's the same this year. I don't condone abusing our own players or booing or any of that but people are going to get frustrated when you're continually shit, that's football.

Obertan could (and should) take a leaf out of Perch's book and instead of petulance and whining, just get on with it and win the fans over by his performances.