James Perch

BeloEmre

Just wish those who seem to always need a scapegoat would learn and lay off Obertan or whoever else it is they're getting on to at any given time.

The high horse brigade are hilarious at times :lol:

Ridiculous isn't it. I particularly like the 'scapegoat' angle. A scapegoat for what exactly? We had a tremendous season last year, we didn't need a scapegoat, Obertan was just rightly called up on being shit. It's the same this year. I don't condone abusing our own players or booing or any of that but people are going to get frustrated when you're continually shit, that's football.

Except the high horse brigade sometimes get it spectacularly wrong. Perch is a prime example. He was getting lambasted on here initially, but even in the early days he showed he had tremendous pace and was a very good tackler. Coloccini and Enrique are two more defenders who also showed glimpses of talent but were too quickly jumped upon by the critics but had massive potential if you were prepared to see it.

Just wish those who seem to always need a scapegoat would learn and lay off Obertan or whoever else it is they're getting on to at any given time.

The high horse brigade are hilarious at times :lol:

Ridiculous isn't it. I particularly like the 'scapegoat' angle. A scapegoat for what exactly? We had a tremendous season last year, we didn't need a scapegoat, Obertan was just rightly called up on being shit. It's the same this year. I don't condone abusing our own players or booing or any of that but people are going to get frustrated when you're continually shit, that's football.

Except the high horse brigade sometimes get it spectacularly wrong. Perch is a prime example. He was getting lambasted on here initially, but even in the early days he showed he had tremendous pace and was a very good tackler. Coloccini and Enrique are two more defenders who also showed glimpses of talent but were too quickly jumped upon by the critics but had massive potential if you were prepared to see it.

Couldn't disagree more. :lol:

How many times have you seen him done for pace at right back?

Why do you think he was the first ever player to get booked in his first five Premier League games (not to mention a very clumsy tackle at Wolves that was a stonewall penalty not given)? Doesn't sound like a lightning quick, tremendous tackler to me.

When we bought Perch, the only view I had of him was at right back as a Forest player against Gutierrez who tried to get round him several times and got snuffed out every time. Jonas tried going inside and outside and got caught every time and Jonas isn't slow. Even his poor performances in the early days in the Premier were down to nerves inexperience rather than his lack of pace IMO.

When we bought Perch, the only view I had of him was at right back as a Forest player against Gutierrez who tried to get round him several times and got snuffed out every time. Jonas tried going inside and outside and got caught every time and Jonas isn't slow. Even his poor performances in the early days in the Premier were down to nerves inexperience rather than his lack of pace IMO.

Much as I love Jonas, when playing as a pacey winger he gets snuffed out nearly every game he plays.

Don't think Perch has ever looked particularly comfortable at right back. His evolution into 'Perchinho' basically happened when injuries meant he started getting games at CB and CM.

Or it might have been recognition by the fans of a job well done wherever he's been asked to play.

So what's the argument here? A player who plays badly can't be criticized?

The argument is to look for a player's value before writing him off. Even if you yourself personally have to look like an anonymous cyber twit in the process.

Much as I love Jonas, when playing as a pacey winger he gets snuffed out nearly every game he plays.

True story.

So what's the argument here? A player who plays badly can't be criticized?

The argument is to look for a player's value before writing him off. Even if you yourself personally have to look like an anonymous cyber twit in the process.

That's fair enough although I think it's a red herring. A player like Obertan may have value, that's for other clubs to decide, doesn't make him any better a footballer.

Saw him at the Metro Centre a few weeks ago - he was 10-pin bowling with his family. Literally dozens of people tapping him up for pics (my kids included), and he couldn't have been a nicer bloke.

I told him his was one of the biggest turnarounds I've ever seen from a Newcastle player and asked him what he thinks of the "Perchinho" chant. He laughed and said he loved it.

The whole episode made me absurdly happy.

I've met him a few times and as you say, he's a lovely bloke. Made up for him.

Exactly the type of person we want in our club and contrast that to some of the dicks we had 5-10 years ago.

He is now an invaluable player for us with the versatility and attitude he brings and was excellent again on Sunday. The appalling behaviour of some of our "fans" towards him initially just ticks another box as it proves he has the mental strength needed too.

Couldn't agree more.  Some of the criticism of our players is so often unwarranted and unjustified - see Harper for the most recent example of someone getting a load of misguided crap.