Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest reefatoon

I'm sorry like, I thought he was alright...a bit better than recently, but certainly nowhere near his best. He needs to stop dwelling on the ball.

what game were you watching?  Barnpot comment from one of the "Tiote hater bandwagon brigade". Just makes you look a bit daft really. He had a great game.

He was back to his best today,  tremendous performance,  i am still amazed people want him out the team in expense of Anita or Perch, who while are decent steady players are nowhere near as good as Cheik.

Think that's very unfair on Anita, he's very different player to Tiote and has some strengths that Tiote doesn't and some weaknesses Tiote doesn't and quite frankly hasn't been used properly yet but he's a lot closer to Tiote than you imply in this post.

He won't be brilliant if he tries to do it all on his own and picks up a booking every week.

You'd hope that won't be the case though.

Jesus Lord give me strength ...

Why would he try to do it on his own with Cabaye and Sissoko in the midfield with him?

People are being way to harsh with Tiote. At least he isn't a coward, shirking responsibility. He actually tries to make things happen.

Not his fault he was being played in a midfield two with inexperienced partners while Cabaye was out.

He's at his best in a midfield three, and will give pass the ball well, and on time when people show for it.

Have people forgotten how bad our movement was when Ba and Cisse were being played up top in a 4-4-2?

I will bump this thread continuously to show up all you doubters when he comes back and is outstanding!

Bump.

:lol: You're an idiot.  He's playing better and less foolishly, which is what I said I'd suspect he would do with better players around him.

Guest neesy111

He won't be brilliant if he tries to do it all on his own and picks up a booking every week.

You'd hope that won't be the case though.

Jesus Lord give me strength ...

Why would he try to do it on his own with Cabaye and Sissoko in the midfield with him?

People are being way to harsh with Tiote. At least he isn't a coward, shirking responsibility. He actually tries to make things happen.

Not his fault he was being played in a midfield two with inexperienced partners while Cabaye was out.

He's at his best in a midfield three, and will give pass the ball well, and on time when people show for it.

Have people forgotten how bad our movement was when Ba and Cisse were being played up top in a 4-4-2?

I will bump this thread continuously to show up all you doubters when he comes back and is outstanding!

Bump.

What a sad twat you are.

i'm lost as to what he was supposed to be doing today in general. not his fault, seemed like he was in front of cabaye when i'd have preferered himbehind, in front of the back 4, meant basically when we had the ball we had 9 outfield players, back 4, cabaye as quarter back, forward 4.

Really pleased he's proved a lot of people wrong over the past few games, keep it going Cheick :)

I have been a big critic of his this season, couldn't be happier if he makes me look like a complete twat for the rest of the season putting in performances like today :)

Guest reefatoon

I'm sorry like, I thought he was alright...a bit better than recently, but certainly nowhere near his best. He needs to stop dwelling on the ball.

what game were you watching?  Barnpot comment from one of the "Tiote hater bandwagon brigade". Just makes you look a bit daft really. He had a great game.

I'm anything but a Tiote hater mate. I just didn't think he was all that good yesterday. His tackling was excellent, but his positional play wasn't great, and there's a case to be had that he left free runners for both of Southampton's goals. The first one he loses Schneiderlin too easily (and then Taylor screws up the rest), and the second one he really should have been going after the runner on the wing to help cover for Santon (instead he tries to double up on the guy Santon is chasing and leaves the guy on the wing free to put a cross in).

As I say, I thought parts of his game were excellent and much improved. Other parts weren't so great.

That's fair enough fella, at the end of the day we are all allowed our opinions. I probably jumped on your post a bit too hastily, after all the Tiote bashing recently (a lot of it deserved too) some people get set in their ways and once they make an opinion then it won't ever change (I am not saying this is you by the way).

I personally thought he had a great game yesterday. Regarding the positional play, I thought Cabaye sat really deep yesterday, which seemed to push Tiote a bit further forward at times.  Not sure why Cabaye sat that deep, would much rather see Tiote as our deepest midfielder.

Agree with that Hindu, his positioning needs to improve, as does Cabaye's but that could be a tactical thing. He should be getting a lot more stick for the second goal mind, people are bemoaning Santon jogging back but Tiote was doing the same, and was actually closer too.

Tiote got done by a piece of movement.

Agree with that Hindu, his positioning needs to improve, as does Cabaye's but that could be a tactical thing. He should be getting a lot more stick for the second goal mind, people are bemoaning Santon jogging back but Tiote was doing the same, and was actually closer too.

Tiote got done by a piece of movement.

Someone moving forward in a straight line? He left that side of the pitch open to an opposition player. If Santon goes forward then Tiote should be the one looking to close that channel off, surely as a left sided defensive midfielder, that's his job? He saw there were 2 players but decided to try and pressure the man on the ball instead instead (something Gouffran was already doing), an amateur move, and then didn't go and bust a gut to get back despite being the closest man.

Edit: On second viewing, he was initially in a decent enough position but stupidly decided to go and get the ball when Gouffran was already doing it (even though he could see the other player was free), leaving their right midfielder acres of space. He could have caught him as well, but didn't.

Really pleased he's proved a lot of people wrong over the past few games, keep it going Cheick :)

I have been a big critic of his this season, couldn't be happier if he makes me look like a complete t*** for the rest of the season putting in performances like today :)

:thup: as for all this talk about his positioning its never been that great but when at his best he is able to hide it by using his power to get back into position.

i honestly don't think tiote had that good a game. he seemed all over the place which left a massive gap in front of our back four, particularly in the first half and came very close to losing the ball a couple of times through his old trouble of holding on to it too long for no good reason.

He's back.....

Started off charging about too much I thought and he was at fault for the second.  He saw the threat developing and chose not to get across to cover.  DM's should be clever enough and mobile enough to cover the flanks when it's needed.  We really need him to be doing this effectively in that formation, especially when you consider how attacking our full backs are.

Perhaps he needs to stay in position a bit more and he still gives fans a heart attack when he's on the ball :lol:  But at the same time, I was impressed by how much ground he covered.  He looked a yard quicker and seemed fitter for some reason.  Put in some superb tackles and blocks and was much improved in general.

Hopefully he carries on improving, as he's still short of his best.

i honestly don't think tiote had that good a game. he seemed all over the place which left a massive gap in front of our back four, particularly in the first half and came very close to losing the ball a couple of times through his old trouble of holding on to it too long for no good reason.

I agree. He was better, no doubt, but I'm quite surprised by some of the praise he's getting. Anyway, hope it continues because he's nailed on to start every game when you look at the alternatives.

But he didn't lose the ball and his first 15minutes weren't very good I agree. But he had an excellent game from that point onwards, was all over the pitch winning the ball. Definitely his best game this season for us.