Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

People talking about dropping Tiote from the team....?

What is this place, a parallel universe :idiot2:

I fail to see what is so daft about dropping players who are playing shite mind, theres no reason he should be untouchable because of his talent. I'm not onabout droping him for the next game or anything, but if a month down the line there is still no improvement it would be stupid to keep him in the side.

I do expect him to turn it around, but IF he doesn't a time out may be for the best.

He needs to stop being predictable or he will struggle and you can sense he is getting frustrated.

The coaching team need to get to work on him to mix it up. Cabaye also needs to get used to him and strange as it sounds help protect him. Too often he has found himself a little isolated and whereas last year he was able to turn out of pressure and pass it this year he hasn't and Cabaye hasn't been an option to give him an instant out.

We'll find out how good a player we have got dependant on how he learns and adapts.

Tiote is class. People tend to forget he didn't have a real pre-season and he now has less responsibility which means he won't get as much credit with Cabaye helping out with the dirty work. It also doesn't help him much with immobile strikers, terrible fullbacks and Obertan who looks headless on the field.

He will get better with time, but I think Cabaye will make sure Tiote becomes a bit invisible (since last season he was all over the pitch due to that fat cow Nolan) and will help us becoe a much better team.

We also need to have mobile strikers up top since it looks like everyone is lost when we have the ball, no organisation and positional sense whatsoever.

He looks like he is lacking sharpness.  Gave the ball away cheeply last night on a few occassions.

He will learn to work with Cabeye, they in turn will develop an understanding with the wingers and full backs.

Assuming Hatem is okay, he will add alot to a 3 in the middle behind a lone striker.

Stoke will beat us without a shadow of a doubt.

:icon_scratch:

The discussion was about Tiote's ability to distribute the ball under pressure. There's probably no team more effective at pressing up the pitch than Stoke. Ergo, Tiote will struggle and we'll probably lose.

Guest Randy Savage

I made the observation to my mag mates last season that Tiote wants too long on the ball too often and it will start costing him eventually unless he cuts it out.

I made the observation to my mag mates last season that Tiote wants too long on the ball too often and it will start costing him eventually unless he cuts it out.

nowt startling. he did do it far too much and it did cost us goals at least a couple of times.

He was horrendous yesterday, but I'd still be loathe to drop him unless this drab form continued into October

This. I'd give another game or two, hopefully when Ben Arfa gets back Tiote can get back to winning the ball and laying it off sharpish.

His style of play is always liable to lead to him been robbed of possession now and then, it was the same last season. This season has just been very sloppy so far.

The best players hold onto the ball in tight areas, it's how you retain possession. Enrique also did this and he cost us the odd goal, but he made us play football. The alternative is hoofing the ball and we've seen what happens with that safety first option.

Don't think it's unreasonable at all to question whether he should be dropped, possibly for Marveaux. I appreciate that Tiote + Cabaye will hopefully be our long term midfield partnership, but that doesn't mean they have to play together in every game from the start immediately. For now we need the points, and it's possible that another performance like that against QPR may result in Tiote directly costing us points. IMO he isn't doing an adequate job defensively and is clearly giving away possession cheaply on a consistent basis, putting us under ridiculous pressure. So put Marveaux in alonside Cabaye, increase possession/ball retention, and bring Tiote back in when he's ready.

Right now that seems as sensible as persisting with Tiote and hoping his form immediately picks up.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

He was horrendous yesterday, but I'd still be loathe to drop him unless this drab form continued into October

Horrendous? Really?

Did you watch the match?

It was like him and Alan Smith had swapped brains