Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

The captains armband has done him the world of good.

^ This.

whilst he may not appear to be the typical captain, i.e. shouting, organising, etc, being made captain appears to have made him concentrate on his job more, and as mentioned not go flying in like an idiot.

He seems to be relishing the responsibility - and as long as it continues, he should keep the armband IMO, even in Coloccini's return.

The captains armband has done him the world of good.

Yeah it's made him a little more composed and sensible. Reigns in that beast in him somewhat so it's more disciplined. He must never ever try long passes and shots. In fairness sometimes his long passes come off, but I much prefer him winning it and keeping it simple. His shooting is horrendous, the Arsenal goal must still be on his mind lol.

Guest bimpy474

And, for the record, I've held my hands up when wrong. Andy Carroll is the best example of that.

I tell you what you definitely lack, a sense of when you're being teased :lol:

Wasn't serious at all Ron lad  ;)

Gone from useless bull in a china shop to a composed leader in midfield. The area in or around the center circle  has belonged to him in the last few matches. Lots of room for improvement but the signs are good, as he seems to be regaining in confidence.

Spot on, he was the absolute boss in there yesterday, brushing Chelsea's little fancy-dan midfielders off with ease.

We might eventually learn that every player isn't represented truly by their worst ever form and any upturn isn't always temporary/lucky.

Other than the last three matches he's been s*** for pretty much two years. Hard to describe such a lengthy period as poor form.

This - but I always thought he had great qualities from his early months at the club and I partly blame Pardew for not sorting him out. He IS a good player.

Pardew is definitely to blame. Tiote got ideas above his station and started to think he was a playmaker instead of concentrating on his own strengths, and that had a lot to do with the manager encouraging it. The poor movement in general throughout the side for the past 12 months hasn't helped either.

Dutch media NOS (like our BBC) report the transfer fee as 8 million euros.

Seen much of him mate?

Yep. Excellent addition to our squad.

:indi:

Care to compile a short overview on his strengths and weaknesses? Pretty please.

Ok, here's what I know. Twente used him as a sort of 12th man last season in their championship season, meaning he was not a starter in most of their matches, but was often brought on to consolidate a small lead into a secured win or to impose more dominance in their midfield. He is very highly though off, and Twente fans consider him a very important figure in their surprise succeeded championship challenge last season. As you would expect, he is a very physically imposing midfielder, who is stronger in the defensive tasks than in attack. Twente fans sometimes criticize his tendency to walk with the ball rather than play it around quickly, but seeing as he is so strong on the ball he still very rarely loses it without a foul being made on him. From what I've seen personally he is much better with the ball than our current crop, although he is not one for killer passes or scoring many goals. If we use him to his strengths, sitting in front of the defense and let him win the ball and lay it off to some of our more creative (!) players he will be a very good addition for us. He has the physical attributes and the talent to succeed in the Premiership, that's for sure..

Reading back, I wasn't far off when I told you what I knew/thought of the player back when we were signing him. :lol:

And, for the record, I've held my hands up when wrong. Andy Carroll is the best example of that.

I tell you what you definitely lack, a sense of when you're being teased :lol:

Wasn't serious at all Ron lad  ;)

I know brother, but TRon was, little bugger that he is.

Reading back, I wasn't far off when I told you what I knew/thought of the player back when we were signing him. :lol:

Shame we won't get to assess your observations on the other Twente guy.

Just remembered de Jong was from Twente too. :lol:

FABRICIO Coloccini and Cheik Tiote are back in training ahead of Newcastle United’s visit to White Hart Lane.

Coloccini has missed the club’s last four games with a groin problem.

But United’s captain is ready to return for Sunday’s televised game against Tottenham Hotspur.

And midfielder Cheik Tiote – who limped out of last weekend’s win over Chelsea – is also available for selection.

“Colo’s trained the last two or three days, and is OK,” said Pardew today.

“Cheik is good. He’s in great form at the moment, and it’s important that he is available.”

Meanwhile, defender Steven Taylor (hamstring) is pencilled in to return against Norwich City on November 23.

Pardew said: “He should be OK after the international break.”

He looks like he's enjoying his football again.

Plus the arm band and maybe some maturing on his part?

I'm personally still not a huge fan and still waiting for the expected implosion but I have to admit he has been much.much improved............he was feckin coming from a long way down mind.

Hope it continues.