Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Aye, guy playing arguably his best football since we signed him three years ago, let's move him to a different position. :lol:

arguably the same goes for raylor ?

I'd say so tbh, Santon in for Simpson at RB would be what I'd look to do in the short term.

Long term I'm sceptical of Raylor's ability to be a consistently good full back, and generally I prefer a left-footed player at left back and a natural right-footer at RB, but while he's doing well I don't think you take him out of the line-up.

not be tempted to go horses for courses, possibly putting taylor on the right and santon on the left (where he has played to quite a high standrad) against teams with more strength on that side ?

Aye, guy playing arguably his best football since we signed him three years ago, let's move him to a different position. :lol:

arguably the same goes for raylor ?

I'd say so tbh, Santon in for Simpson at RB would be what I'd look to do in the short term.

Long term I'm sceptical of Raylor's ability to be a consistently good full back, and generally I prefer a left-footed player at left back and a natural right-footer at RB, but while he's doing well I don't think you take him out of the line-up.

not be tempted to go horses for courses, possibly putting taylor on the right and santon on the left (where he has played to quite a high standrad) against teams with more strength on that side ?

Generally not tbh, I'd rather allow them to get comfortable playing in the one spot than having them switching back and forth the whole time. Better for the back line as a unit, too.

Maybe on the odd occasion it'd be an idea, but not too often.

Although Santon was signed as a left-back, Raylor deserves to be in the side ahead of Simpson at the moment, because Simpson isn't playing well. That's the meat and gravy of the full-back situation. Our right hand side is the only part of the team that really needs refreshing as it stands. I know you're on dodgy ground messing with a side that is playing well, but Obertan and Simpson are quite blatantly a couple of weak links in the team. Raylor always starts off a bit nervously but he has really grown in to the role and i thought he was one of our best players yesterday. Raylor LB. Santon RB.

As for RM, i've been calling out for Jonas to be moved over there so we can fit Marveaux or Hatem in a more favoured role on their stronger foot... but it's a ballache switching the position of someone who's arguably been our most consistent performer in 2011.

It's all about gutsy decisions, though. It could work, it might not. Would like to see a change to the team of some sort, anyway, because - although we've picked up some brilliant results (including yesterday) - i do fear a burnout. We're winning/drawing in spite of a couple, imho. We needn't  be afraid to freshen things up.

I'd be tempted too, but it just seems a bit daft having two (largely) one-footed wingers on opposite sides. I don't think either are the type to cut in and lash the bastard at goal, either.

Nice problems.

I'd try Marveaux on the right.

Saw a goal on the tube where he came from the right and cut in with a ridiculously quick sideway move just at the same time as the defender went in, and curled an absolute beauty.

Is it not having Enrique behind him or having competition for his place that has got him playing so well?

He's been excellent for most of the season.

Interesting point the first one mind. How many times in the past have we seen Jonas maybe hold the ball up waiting for Enrique to make the overlapping run and giving it to him? Now though, he seems to be more prepared to have a go himself.

Aye, good point.

I've given him a lot of stick, and have on several occasions called the "Jonas-Enrique partnership" bollocks, because it was mostly Jonas waiting for Jose to help him out. Now, as you say, he'll run at players higher up the pitch more, and is certainly not afraid to shoot either. His shooting is about as hit and miss as it gets, it's like he closes his eyes and just hopes for the best, but even at that, it's a massive improvement.

He's been very good this year, second only to Colo as our best player this season.

Is it not having Enrique behind him or having competition for his place that has got him playing so well?

He's been excellent for most of the season.

Interesting point the first one mind. How many times in the past have we seen Jonas maybe hold the ball up waiting for Enrique to make the overlapping run and giving it to him? Now though, he seems to be more prepared to have a go himself.

Aye, good point.

I've given him a lot of stick, and have on several occasions called the "Jonas-Enrique partnership" bollocks, because it was mostly Jonas waiting for Jose to help him out. Now, as you say, he'll run at players higher up the pitch more, and is certainly not afraid to shoot either. His shooting is about as hit and miss as it gets, it's like he closes his eyes and just hopes for the best, but even at that, it's a massive improvement.

He's been very good this year, second only to Colo as our best player this season.

He definitely looks better without Enrique which has surprised me.

Somehow he's helping out more defensively and attacking better, which is strange.

I think the past 2 years he maybe relied too much on Enrique, knew what he was capable of so perhaps made him take the easier option and give the ball to him more than do something himself, now since having R.Taylor there, I think he's taken it on himself to be more direct and attack more himself, and we're definitely seeing the benefits.

Until this season, I don't feel he's quite fulfilled the huge promise that he showed when he first joined the club. I don't know if it's some fitness issue that's finally been ironed out, but he's been putting in some really strong and consistent performances.

Only trouble is, I'm not sure where he'd operate in the modern three in the centre formation that I'd like to see. He seems very much at his best out wide in a 4-4-2.

Last season the only player worth doubling up on was Jonas, and we still did well. Now we have Obertan/Marveaux and Ben Arfa too, and theres no way you can double up on all 3. As Sewelly says, he's been liberated. As an attacking force we look so much more threatening and Jonas has clearly benefitted from that.

Getting some decent praise at the Red Café forum.

On there they were also saying Ameobi is always capable of scoring the kinda goal he did on Sunday and that he's 'clinical.'

To be fair if I was another club's supporter I would probably think Shola was class given that he only gets in the media when he has one of his one-in-ten blinders and nobody cares when he's shit.

A non-Newcastle supporter's memory of Shola is probably something like "Crazy long-range effort against Chelsea, powerful strike against Sunderland, beautiful finish against Spurs..."

Thought he was pretty poor first half and rarely went at Walker on the outside.  Really rate that Walker, but he's still a bit suspect and naive when defending due to his age, think Jonas missed a trick not going at him more.  Second half, he pretty much tore Walker a new one, beast of a game from Spiderman, playing even better since signing his new contract!

Harry referred to him as their "left winger" who he seemed to think had improved a bit after a couple of seasons in English football. You know his name you dickhead, you tried to sign him for Portsmouth for £6m.

Well 'Arry's a cunt so there ya go. Anyway really happy with how Jonas is playing this season. I used to get quite frustrated with him in seasons gone by but he's certainly proving me wrong thus far, long may it continue.