Shane Ferguson joins Millwall on a permanent deal

Pilko

Thought he did very well, made some very good defensive decisions and anticipated danger very well, not saying he was fully tested as a fullback but I seen enough to be excited about him as a future starting player for us.

I think with the verastility he has we can employ him either at left back or left wing depending on the formation we use. In Left back in a 433 where you need full backs to move forward more (a la Barcelona -Alves)

Left wing in a more rigid 442

With young players you have to bite the bullet. Not against Manchester United but he should look to start his LB career from here on. Attacking FB's have to learn the defensive part on the job, Cole once upon a time looked shaky defensively. You need to trust the young ones you really think can make it.

he played well. any criticism would be about defensive positioning. balls came in from the right a few times because he got too close to perch so was too far away when balls got hit out wide.

will he be a smallest LB ever? hope he makes it as a regular first team player (rotation) at LB or LW.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41376000/jpg/_41376243_alanwright.jpg

i do not recognize that midget...

is it steve stone? help me?

he played well. any criticism would be about defensive positioning. balls came in from the right a few times because he got too close to perch so was too far away when balls got hit out wide.

:thup: just needs games either here or out on loan in the Championship if we can cover it.

will he be a smallest LB ever? hope he makes it as a regular first team player (rotation) at LB or LW.

Alan Wright.

:thup: just needs games either here or out on loan in the Championship if we can cover it.

Think we'll have enough fixtures/injuries with Newcastle to necessitate it being here.

Very refreshing to have a player that can whip a cross in from that point between the halfway line and the byline. Nice to have someone in our ranks that doesn't have to beat the opposing fullback every time.

I reckon we'll see a lot of this kid over the next 12 months.

Think we'll have enough fixtures/injuries with Newcastle to necessitate it being here.

Probably, either way he just needs game time to work on his defensive side of the game. Not that it's a huge concern, I'd expect any FB to be a bit positionally suspect when they come in.

Probably, either way he just needs game time to work on his defensive side of the game. Not that it's a huge concern, I'd expect any FB to be a bit positionally suspect when they come in.

:thup:

Very refreshing to have a player that can whip a cross in from that point between the halfway line and the byline. Nice to have someone in our ranks that doesn't have to beat the opposing fullback every time.

I reckon we'll see a lot of this kid over the next 12 months.

This. :snod:

:lol:

I feel old.

Has not looked defensively out of place at LB yet, but he has not been tested defensively either.

I would love it if he could be the attacking fullback we were looking for to go alongside Santon, would save the club a few pretty pennies too.

Not too bothered about having two attacking fullbacks as that was always the plan anyway, if we are to play 4-3-3 then the likes of Tiote, Jonas/Anita etc etc will have to cover the space they leave as it's their job to do so as holding midfielders.

Obviously still a lot to prove and learn but he excites me.

Don't understand why Ferguson is being dismissed out of hand as being a full-back. He's got the pace for it, he can play the ball and he seems an intelligent decision-maker.

He has a small frame and doesn't seem to have the requisite defensive nous for the role at the top level (yet), but he is 21. At least one of those will fix itself as he gets older and does some gym sessions with the Big Sho.

He reminds me a lot of Neil Taylor at LB. Against teams non-top 6 teams, I'd definitely play him on the basis that we should be looking to control such games, and playing him will be statement of intent about our desire to dominate proceedings (which is what we ought to be working towards). He'll make gaffes, cost us a goal here or there.. but long-term, just like Santon last season, it's a worthy investment. Sooner he is in the first team, the quicker he will learn too IMO.

It may be that full-back isn't for him, and that he is better suited for LM, but he demonstrates enough potential to be given a crack of the whip there since we don't seem like loosening the purse strings anytime soon. A major bonus would, of course, be unleashing the potential of Santon on his stronger foot (and alongside HBA too :love:).

Great post - totally agree with the idea that Ferguson at LB against lesser teams would help us control play and encourage more creativity from the back.

It's not as if he is small at all - don't know where people are getting that idea - sure he looks like he's 12 and he is rather lightweight but he's not small for a full-back in the slightest - same height as Ashley Cole and taller than Evra or Baines. And plenty of right wingers in this league are on the short side too. And even though he doesn't yet have the muscle of those guys yet he does possess a bit of natural tenacity and bite which is a good foundation to build on.

I just hope this boy is more Gareth Bale than Seamus Coleman. The latter never developed his defensive skills to the point that he could be a fullback, but also has struggled a bit attacking as a forward wide player. Still a decent player, but could have done more. I don't think there is a question of him making it as a pro. I personally think he could still do with some seasoning while on loan, but it might be too late for that now.