Newcastle United 1 - 2 Stoke City - 26/09/10 - post match reaction from page 31

Dave

Jesus fucking christ. This is the most frustrating club on the fucking planet.

What kills me is that we only started to think about getting our arse into gear once we actually went behind!!! Not once Stoke draw level, but once we go behind....with 5mins to go. Give me strength.

Man City away next...

Guest DarkSchneider

It could have been 4 for them...

Substitutions were awful. Both HBA and Tiote should have stayed on. Ranger/Loven for Nolan, Raylor for Perch, Jonas for Routlege.

We didn't stand a chance in aerial battle. Even Carroll struggled. And when he won a flick-on, there was no one there to run onto it. He badly needs support. And that ain't Nolan.

Barton should've tried to beat his man sometimes, to come into shooting opportunity.

Hope that Hughton learns that this system is not working that well.

We need a keeper asap, like. Krul isn't exactly to blame, but balls in the 6 yard box are there to be collected. He doesn't know when to come off his line and it cost us. He's just too raw.

That's what I was thinking. I was wondering could he have even tried to claim the cross that Perch headed in. In fairness to Tim though he was hardly tested all game.

Knew in my gut we would go on to lose this the moment I saw Rory Delap warming up. I think Baba said it best when he said we should have had advertising hoardings right around the pitch (possibly should even have put them nearer the line,tbh). Tactically naive of Hughton to replace Tiote with Ameobi, and I think this appearances clause in Ben Arfa's contract will prove to be our undoing, if as it seems, it's forcing Hughton to sub him earlier than he would otherwise wish to do. Disappointing performance by Perch, but the lad will surely go home and kick himself for that tonight, so maybe he can still get his act together and sort it out. We could and should have expected at half time to go on and get a second goal and have thereafter shut them out. :no:

Yup - not good enough today and poor subs from Hughton. Ben Arfa should have been moved more central (where he can affect the play more) and Tiote should have stayed on. I know he scored, but Nolan's contribution today was minimal at best. We just got out-powered by Stoke in the end and it's disappointing. We need to develop some consistency and not be so predictable in our play.

We need a keeper asap, like. Krul isn't exactly to blame, but balls in the 6 yard box are there to be collected. He doesn't know when to come off his line and it cost us. He's just too raw.

That's what I was thinking. I was wondering could he have even tried to claim the cross that Perch headed in. In fairness to Tim though he was hardly tested all game.

Agree with Ronaldo actually. I thought Krul was the biggest liability in our team today.

A really dreadful showing, reminiscent of many games at home in the Roeder/Souness days where we take a lead against a shit side, hold it for most of the game without showing any real will to kill it off, then being sucker punched late on. Seem to remember Fulham did it two years running and that they went a year without an away win in between the two.

Also very similar to the same fixture in the relegation season, although we went in 2 up at half time then and ended up with a draw. We should be battering these sides on the deck at home but we end up trying to play them at their own game.

Agree with Ronaldo actually. I thought Krul was the biggest liability in our team today.

Fuck off man :lol:

Knew in my gut we would go on to lose this the moment I saw Rory Delap warming up. I think Baba said it best when he said we should have had advertising hoardings right around the pitch (possibly should even have put them nearer the line,tbh). Tactically naive of Hughton to replace Tiote with Ameobi, and I think this appearances clause in Ben Arfa's contract will prove to be our undoing, if as it seems, it's forcing Hughton to sub him earlier than he would otherwise wish to do. Disappointing performance by Perch, but the lad will surely go home and kick himself for that tonight, so maybe he can still get his act together and sort it out. We could and should have expected at half time to go on and get a second goal and have thereafter shut them out. :no:

Would imagine it's based on appearances rather than minutes.

There wasn't a great deal to choose between Ben Arfa and Routledge when Ben Arfa went off, and taking Ben Arfa off allowed Guttierez to play in his best position. Although I'm admittedly ignoring the option of taking off Nolan.

The only time we looked a threat in the 1st half was when Ben Arfa moved in more centrally. He's a waste out wide, imo. Drop Nolan, put Jonas on the left and Hatem off Carroll. He's much more menacing running through the centre....as he proved against Everton.

You would have thought that after our complacency against Blackpool we'd have more drive about us to win this. Obviously not.