Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Outside of Europe Korea and Japan are probably the only countries capable of running the tournament on ultra short (1 yr) notice

USA, Canada, Australia should be capable of arranging something quite fast. Maybe China too.

Qatar's about the size of Yorkshire if I'm not mistaken, with one major city. So that's like building a dozen new stadiums in Leeds. And basing 32 teams and all their supporters in and around Leeds. It's borderline retarded.

Outside of Europe Korea and Japan are probably the only countries capable of running the tournament on ultra short (1 yr) notice

USA, Canada, Australia should be capable of arranging something quite fast. Maybe China too.

All four of those countries would require an overhaul of their public transportation infrastructure. (although perhaps not given the low standards FIFA is holding Brazil too.) It's also much more challenging to run an emergency events in large countries due to logistical issues.

Stadia would also be a massive issue in Canada and China. (Unsure about Australia.) Maybe the US could get away with it if they converted Gridiron stadia.

All four of those countries would require an overhaul of their public transportation infrastructure. (although perhaps not given the low standards FIFA is holding Brazil too.) It's also much more challenging to run an emergency events in large countries due to logistical issues.

Stadia would also be a massive issue in Canada and China. (Unsure about Australia.) Maybe the US could get away with it if they converted Gridiron stadia.

The US could do it with a months notice, easily.  We have college football stadiums that hold 110k people that we would only need to paint different lines on (and no football in summer in America so even NFL stadiums would be available).  And if you look at cities like Orlando (a 94 host), we have 144k hotel rooms and a 75k person capacity stadium - within weeks we could be ready to host a match or two.

I'm not sure Australia have enough stadiums that would meet FIFA criteria. There's plenty of new ish grounds that hold 15000 ish which would be perfect for Paraguay vs Switzerland but don't FIFA demand every seat to be covered? Australia would fall down on that rule.

Newcastle jets ground is canny but i don't think FIFA would allow fans to sit on a grass bank.

Qatar's about the size of Yorkshire if I'm not mistaken, with one major city. So that's like building a dozen new stadiums in Leeds. And basing 32 teams and all their supporters in and around Leeds. It's borderline retarded.

It's really quite sad that with the most important tournament in the world's most popular sport, they ended up with a decision like that. From the point of view of the players and the supporters, it makes no sense at all.

It's completely retarded. Utter corrupt madness.

Guest Phil K

Qatar getting 2022 is as clear proof as you'll ever need that palms were crossed with silver, and FIFA are THE most corrupt turds in history of game.

(TBF if someone slipped me 100 grand to put an "X" against their name, I would, no doubt) it's the system thats a joke

• 1 month later...

"The World Cup cannot be played in Qatar in the summer," said Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce. "Everyone was certainly in agreement about that."

Eh? You gave it to them!

The national leagues (e.g. PL) will never go for a move to the winter. No chance.

They can't hear your common sense over all the money they're drowning in right now.

I see no problem whatsoever with a winter World Cup. It is something that should clearly have been discussed and decided before awarding it, and he seeming FIFA policy of making decisions before considering their ramifications is worrying, but given eight years of notice, there is no issue in adjusting the football calendar for one year.

It'll fuck up the Premier League for a few years. You'd have to go:

2021-22  August to May

2022-23  July to November, February to June

2023-24  August to May

Which means those 2 pre-seasons will be tiny and there's no time for players to recover. Those playing in Qatar will be falling apart by the 3rd season. Then you'd have to rearrange the qualifying schedules because there's only 18 months til Euro 2024. It's just stupidity really, motivated purely by money. The whole system is corrupt.

Qatar is a country the size of Wales, with even less people living there, a country with no football heritage or even any stadiums, an unsuitable climate, and no real opportunity for a meaningful legacy.  It's such a fucking joke on every level that it's incredible that FIFA had the nerve to even think about voting for it.

Meanwhile by the time we get to 2022 it will have been 56 years since the last time it was held in England, a country that has some of the best stadiums and one of the most fervant football cultures in world football.

Joke, joke joke.  Really pisses me off, this.

It'd be fantastic if the PL just didn't adjust their scheduling at all. I'd be more than happy to watch the PL without the international SUPERSTARS for a month or so tbh. Fuck this Qatar World Cup bullshit. I'm sticking with my good old money grabbing English PL bullshit.