Alan Pardew

JH

Starting to think Pardew has a real something about him tactically as well. It would have been easy, and what a manager like Allardyce or Souness would have done, to just get the player psyched up into battle mode and send them out to get stuck in and go toe-to-toe with Stoke.

But he didn't do that, he realised that if we pressed them from the start they wouldn't have the technique to play their way out. Spot on, great example of just tweaking his tactics to the opposition's weaknesses, without changing the basic shape or personnel.

:thup:

For me his best game yet tactically. He said before the game that he wasn't going to get dragged into playing Stoke at their own game, and while I would have liked us to have kept the ball a bit better, I think that was down to one or two players not being quite at that level technically rather than Pardew himself. Defensively we are as well organised as I've ever seen us.

Starting to think Pardew has a real something about him tactically as well. It would have been easy, and what a manager like Allardyce or Souness would have done, to just get the player psyched up into battle mode and send them out to get stuck in and go toe-to-toe with Stoke.

But he didn't do that, he realised that if we pressed them from the start they wouldn't have the technique to play their way out. Spot on, great example of just tweaking his tactics to the opposition's weaknesses, without changing the basic shape or personnel.

Managers like Souness and Allardyce fail to realise that "psyching players up into battle mode" and "having a system that plays to your own strengths as opposed to your opponents" aren't mutually exclusive. We basically played like Stoke today when we didn't have the ball (closing down fast, plenty of tackles, high pressure, tight marking), but when we did have the ball we played like Newcastle, and we fucking caned the horrible bastards. The mistake managers often make is that they then think they have to play like Stoke with the ball too, and that's where they often slip up. Pardew thankfully didn't do that tonight, unlike last year's game here. :thup:

Managers like Souness and Allardyce fail to realise that "psyching players up into battle mode" and "having a system that plays to your own strengths as opposed to your opponents" aren't mutually exclusive. We basically played like Stoke today when we didn't have the ball (closing down fast, plenty of tackles, high pressure, tight marking), but when we did have the ball we played like Newcastle, and we fucking caned the horrible bastards. The mistake managers often make is that they then think they have to play like Stoke with the ball too, and that's where they often slip up. Pardew thankfully didn't do that tonight, unlike last year's game here. :thup:

Good point, I do think dogged closing down and disciplined defending is a bit different to just going out to have a physical battle, but I agree basically.

Guest ykmkmdd

Absolute tactical masterclass tonight:

-Hitting Obertan early over the top at every opportunity - led to the 1st goal

-Leaving players upfield (Obertan and Cabaye) on their set pieces limited the amount of players they could load into our box

-The genuinely comical time-wasting on throws and free kicks - how does your own medicine taste Stoke??

-Jonas doubling up quick and early on Pennant - if their full backs are shite may as well expose it

Fucking brilliant - looks like he researches the oppo to an amazing degree and acts accordingly - well done Pards.

All the 'they haven't had tough games' crowd need to have a look at how we play right now, we take our opportunities when we get them and we're tight bastards at the back. Most of all we're not boring to watch, without being foolishly open.

Last season was spent a little looking over our backs as we knew we were riding some luck at times, and losing games we really should win, and we would win. Still think the handling of kicking Houghton out was tremendously harsh, but Pardew is doing well. Almost worringly, Ashley will sack him soon at this rate.

Although I rate Pardew, his backroom staff, our key players and our squad players very highly, I didn't think we'd get anything out of the game because I did not think we had developed to a point where we could cope with a 90 minute battering from such a direct physical team in a hostile stadium.

I thought about how the great Keegan team would have gone into such a game and still won but I didn't think this team had it in them yet.

I was wrong.

Love the way he is learning from his mistakes. In the build up to the game he said he got it wrong away at stoke last year and that it was his fault. Well he went and put that right tonight. Brilliant!

Absolute tactical masterclass tonight:

-Hitting Obertan early over the top at every opportunity - led to the 1st goal

-Leaving players upfield (Obertan and Cabaye) on their set pieces limited the amount of players they could load into our box

-The genuinely comical time-wasting on throws and free kicks - how does your own medicine taste Stoke??

-Jonas doubling up quick and early on Pennant - if their full backs are shite may as well expose it

Fucking brilliant - looks like he researches the oppo to an amazing degree and acts accordingly - well done Pards.

:thup:

I get the impression he desperately wants to do well at Newcastle and is working his arse off to make this happen. So far so good, he is becoming extremely likeable and who would have seen that a year or so ago when he was appointed?

I was really peeved when I saw Obertan and Raylor on the squad...egg on my face somewhat. (still maybe think Santon may have done a better job, but I suppose would have been a very harsh first proper test), and Obertan justified inclusion entirely.

Team spirit must be sky high right now. lets hope that this continues. How many more 'true tests' according to the media are we going ot have to endure? (I suspect we'll still be getting that in april)

It's also worth noting I had this down as our first loss. Always great to be proved wrong as such.