Are we safe now? YES WE ARE!

oldtype

I wonder what position (if any) would convince Ashley to free up transfer funds. Or refuse to, for that matter. If we finished a solid mid-table would he see an opportunity to push on? Or would it simply confirm his apparent belief that things can be done on a shoestring budget and therefore simply reckon we can do it again without much bother or investment? Alternatively, would mid-table safety see him sell up?

I guess the question I'm really asking is, what do we think is Ashley's ambition for the club at this stage? Is mid-table mediocrity every season the upper limit?

I genuinely believe this would be his attitude.

I wonder what position (if any) would convince Ashley to free up transfer funds. Or refuse to, for that matter. If we finished a solid mid-table would he see an opportunity to push on? Or would it simply confirm his apparent belief that things can be done on a shoestring budget and therefore simply reckon we can do it again without much bother or investment? Alternatively, would mid-table safety see him sell up?

I guess the question I'm really asking is, what do we think is Ashley's ambition for the club at this stage? Is mid-table mediocrity every season the upper limit?

I genuinely believe this would be his attitude.

The depressing thing is how short-sighted that would be. The likes of Villa, Liverpool and Everton aren't likely to be this shite in the coming seasons.

I think he'll spend money depending on where we are in the league as league position will generate cash.  I think he'll work out a budget and stick to it and the higher our league position the higher the budget.

Find it hard to believe that the bottom 4 are all going to get 8 more points than us from the remaining games. An 8 (9 with the superior GD) point advantage with loads of winnable games to play is a nice cushion.

They can't string 2 results together and it could take 6 or 7 matches for even one of them to catch us. They won't though. We need to reassess where we are and look to finish top half rather than merely stay up.

The depressing thing is how short-sighted that would be. The likes of Villa, Liverpool and Everton aren't likely to be this s**** in the coming seasons.

Liverpool will generate cash, Villa and Everton might struggle to keep up.

The depressing thing is how short-sighted that would be. The likes of Villa, Liverpool and Everton aren't likely to be this shite in the coming seasons.

Absolutely. Perhaps there is a possibility that as Pardew is his first proper choice as full time manager (I'm excluding Keegan as a naive balls-up), he may be more open to offering him more money in the transfer market.

• 2 weeks later...

This f***ing thread

Seconded, I hate this thread, never thought we were safe even when some were getting all optimistic. Kept on saying that the league is so tight that a few defeats and things change fast. Lose against Arsenal (which we will) and we'll be right in the mix again!

I stand by my comments in this thread like.

When everything is failing around us, and all respect, success, excitement and integrity has been torn out of the team, if I don't have hope and a tiny niggling of optimism (that I keep hidden from you lot :razz: ) then that's the point when I stop supporting Newcastle United.

It doesn't look that good, but with the points that we have on the board now, I just can't see us dropping lower than 17th.

When everything is failing around us, and all respect, success, excitement and integrity has been torn out of the team, if I don't have hope and a tiny niggling of optimism (that I keep hidden from you lot :razz: ) then that's the point when I stop supporting Newcastle United.

It doesn't look that good, but with the points that we have on the board now, I just can't see us dropping lower than 17th.

I can't believe your U-turn like :lol: Feels like yesterday I was having arguments with you almost daily that we would finish above 17th and you were all doom and gloom :razz:

I can't believe your U-turn like :lol: Feels like yesterday I was having arguments with you almost daily that we would finish above 17th and you were all doom and :razz:

:lol:

It's because of the points on the board between then and now. It was too early IMO to say where we were going to finish.

Back then I never expected to have 30 points on the board with 14 games to play. Now that we do, I'm relatively confident that we'll finish lower-mid table.

Dont think theres any way we will go down. Theres about 8 teams worse than us.

Means nothing. There were more than 3 teams worse than us in 2009 and we still went down.

Generally there's always one team which unexpectedly drops like a stone into the danger zone from a comfortable position. With most of the other relegation candidates buying strikers and us under-strength I would say we are prime candidates to be that team. 

People are really over  reacting with this Fulham result like.

We have 6 points on the bottom 3. After the Arsenal game, we have 6 in a row games that we are capable of getting points from. We have 6 players to come back from injury/suspention. Wolves are already doomed imo.

In terms of dropping like a stone - see Blackpool and West Brom.

We will be fine.

Dont think theres any way we will go down. Theres about 8 teams worse than us.

Means nothing. There were more than 3 teams worse than us in 2009 and we still went down.

No there wasnt. We were fucking terrible when we went down and were rightly so relegated.

This time, we have been much better and have players to come back into the team that will make a huge difference to our game.

People act like the relegation candidates got Benzema.  They still look absolutely shit to me even if they improved their squads slightly.  Doesn't mean that we aren't in a spot of a bother, but the grass is not greener in Wigan or Wolverhampton.  

That said, we shouldn't even be having this conversation but for the lunacy of Ashley.