Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

Guest Thump 1892

Obviously our current squad couldn't cope with the strains of both a domestic and a European campaign, but i think people are forgetting that, surely by getting to Europe - we'd have more grounds to build the squad? ??? We'd be more attractive a proposition for incoming players and it'd also convince some of our 'stars' to stick with us.

As someone said earlier, qualifying for Europe would do more good than bad imo.

You'd generally think that, but remember the Ashley factor.

I think that if we qualified for Europe Ashley would be forced to open his wallet.

We were torn apart at Stevenage because of so much lethargy in the squad in the run up to the FA cup.  The ideal strategy for going somewhere in the Europa cup is simple:

1. Define your first team

2. Define your back up squad

3. Define your rotation squad

4. Fill in the blanks by signing youngsters who can make an impact on both 2 and 3 (eg: the Bobby Robson ideology)

5. Don't let Pardew select the first team squad for a league 2 outfit

Joking aside, I reckon we have a chance of getting into bigger and better things if we bolster our squad a bit with some intelligent signings.

Guest Thump 1892

Do you not think we'll sign anyone in the summer then? We'll improve the squad, we have to. We did last January and we did in the summer - we will do again. And being in Europe will attract better players, plus give us more money to play with. Ashley will know the financial benefits of a good European campaign.

The money you get for winning the Europa League wouldn't pay the Coloccini transfer fee.

Doesn't matter. It's still more gate receipts/TV revenue/'prize-money'.

Isn't that the money we're supposed to spend for transfers starting next season?

Sunderland are probably already planning how to spend their EL money.

Reading RTG today, they seem to have decided they've finished in the top six.

They were the same under Monkeys Head.

Guest Thump 1892

Fulham earned a total of 10,010,114 for their run to the final.

So about 8m.

They would have got less than an extra £1 million if they had of won it.

Sunderland are probably already planning how to spend their EL money.

Reading RTG today, they seem to have decided they've finished in the top six.

Well to be fair they've just found out that they're signing Messi and Ronaldo with Bent's transfer money ;)

Oh, I agree about the format thing. Dunno why they insisted in turning it into a CL lite, at least the different format gave a point to the UEFA Cup and made it exciting. UEFA's obsession with group stages is almost sexual in nature. The CL had TWO of them at one point FFS.

Quite pleased we fell in that one off season tbh, as we got more games out of it but any other year I'd say it was a joke. Somehow the Europa League must make UEFA more money through TV deals for more games or something. Joke either way and I don't think ever met anyone who's thought otherwise.

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually liked/preferred the 2 group phases in the CL as it made the tournament different to all other tournament formats, and we got more games out of it as mentioned. The UEFA Cup was fine as it was though and quite exciting to watch. It's such a nothing tournament though now through the constant meddling.

I don't mind the Europa League having a group stage. But I do mind the knock-out stage getting losing CL teams into it, devalues the competition beyond belief with it being nothing more than a "back-up" competition these days. Also think it's a joke that four teams get into the CL from the main leagues. Should be only the league champions of every nation in Europe (with the smaller ones doing play-offs) tbh.

I don't mind the Europa League having a group stage. But I do mind the knock-out stage getting losing CL teams into it, devalues the competition beyond belief with it being nothing more than a "back-up" competition these days. Also think it's a joke that four teams get into the CL from the main leagues. Should be only the league champions of every nation in Europe (with the smaller ones doing play-offs) tbh.

That's just never going to change. UEFA and TV right holders need all these big guns qualifying for the CL by default and playing a bunch of games.

That said, I'm not terribly opposed to countries having more than 1 CL spot. The current format forces you to beat tougher opposition in order to lift the cup. The year we won it first we beat a bunch of average teams, and not a single truly top side, while in 2006 with the new format we had to beat the likes of Chelsea, Milan and Arsenal. But I'd probably leave it at 3 spots *tops*.

Guest bmoregeordie

Not that it will matter as it's not happening, but given how incredibly thin the squad is, it could be truly detrimental.

I was pleased at the FA Cup exit. They need the rest. (though I'd have rather it didin't come at the hands of Stevenage)

Not that it will matter as it's not happening, but given how incredibly thin the squad is, it could be truly detrimental.

I was pleased at the FA Cup exit. They need the rest. (though I'd have rather it didin't come at the hands of Stevenage)

Yup until we have firmly established ourselves as a Premiership team with a decent squad size (which may take another 2-3 seasons with Ashley in charge), all other competitions are a distraction.

Is there such a thing as being established in the Premier League now though? Look at the relegation scrap. Pretty much all the teams battling bar Wolves & WBA have spent most of the last 7 years or so in the Premier League. Being in the Premier League a number of years counts for nothing really in terms of that anymore. Think you've just got to take each season as it comes. This year we've got a shot of getting into Europe so go for it.

Obviously our current squad couldn't cope with the strains of both a domestic and a European campaign, but i think people are forgetting that, surely by getting to Europe - we'd have more grounds to build the squad? ??? We'd be more attractive a proposition for incoming players and it'd also convince some of our 'stars' to stick with us.

I appreciate, incidentally, that Fulham clearly gave a shit when they got to the final, but the fact is, you start out in that competition facing about 200 games against any one of approximately 3000 sides, with that freaky group system where you dont even play each team in your group home and away, and you soon start thinking "hhmmmmm, Thursday night ..... best check if there's something on telly first".

They got rid of that. I guess going out before that point stopped you from realising though.  ;)

Your avatar is fantastic. :lol:

Guest palnese

Just seen that.  :lol:

Risk of sending this thread off topic but yeah, that avatar is fucking immense :lol:

I didnt realise just how good Sunderland's position is in terms of Europe. Although, looking at their next few fixtures, they could easily be reeled in quite quickly.

Just seen that.  :lol:

Risk of sending this thread off topic but yeah, that avatar is f***ing immense :lol:

I don't get it, and I used to watch that series.  :undecided:

Risk of sending this thread off topic but yeah, that avatar is f***ing immense :lol:

Jay-Z? 99 Problems? ???

Jay-Z? 99 Problems? ???

Ah, I'm not much into hip hop.

Jay-Z? 99 Problems? ???

Nah neither am I, Jay-Z got massive exposure over here a couple years ago though when he headlined Glasto and that was everywhere at the time. :)

6th place is there for the taking. Unfortunatly, it wont be us  :lol: I recon we should still target it mind, the league is full of shit, including ourselves. Late push towards the end of the season Ben Arfa Carroll Tiote Barton Gosling, be interesting to see how we do

6th place is there for the taking. Unfortunatly, it wont be us  :lol: I recon we should still target it mind, the league is full of shit, including ourselves. Late push towards the end of the season Ben Arfa Carroll Tiote Barton Gosling, be interesting to see how we do

7th could be Europe too (and most likely will be).

would love those european thursday nights to return, but the squad depth is really worrying. honestly, im happy enough to just slowly build ourselves up and be patient. if we keep our core players, we'll get there soon enough. but if we get there, i'm certainly not gonna turn it down.

Guest bmoregeordie

Jay-Z? 99 Problems? ???

Nah neither am I, Jay-Z got massive exposure over here a couple years ago though when he headlined Glasto and that was everywhere at the time. :)

thanks. credit to whoever made it. all i was doing was trying to find a mildly funny avatar that was related to "geordie."