Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

i'd rather have nolan than bloody gardner or ireland.

What does Nolan offer that Gardner doesn't?

Pretty much the same. Nolan of course has much more to offer as a leader. Would be a step back.

i'd rather have nolan than bloody gardner or ireland.

What does Nolan offer that Gardner doesn't?

Goals? Leadership? Influence? Experience? Quack celebration?

Nolan is much more important to us than Gardner would be next season, imo.

Would love Adam, but we would need to play a 4-3-3 to accommodate him. To be honest i've never really looked at Gardner because I never thought we would stoop to a position where he could be legitimate target... Birmingham have been a dogshit side with a good defence for a few seasons now. The though of signing one of their dour midfielders to the club disturbs me :(

The more I think about it the more I can see Jonas leaving, with Ben Arfa back and Ferguson looking like a stand out youngster we look far stronger down the left compared to the right.

Sidney Govou worth a punt?

Sidney Govou is looking to secure a move away from Panathinaikos and admits a switch to England would appeal.

The former France international has spent just one season in Greece, but feels the time is right to take on a new challenge.

Ligue 1 newcomers Evian-Thono-Gaillard are reported to be keen to take him back to his homeland, and Govou admits he could be tempted by such a move.

He has, however, revealed that he would relish the opportunity to test himself in the Premier League and hopes someone will take a gamble on his services.

"I want to leave as a free agent and Pana will not block my departure," Govou told L'Equipe.

Project

"I don't regret my season here. I have learnt a lot."

He added: "Evian-Thonon-Gaillard? We will have to study the project of the club and the project they have for me.

"Money? At 32 years of age it is obvious that I will not be able to ask for much as I am earning at Pana, that would be impossible.

"That is not an issue, though, and I have always wanted to play in the Premier League."

Sidney Govou worth a punt?

Sidney Govou is looking to secure a move away from Panathinaikos and admits a switch to England would appeal.

The former France international has spent just one season in Greece, but feels the time is right to take on a new challenge.

Ligue 1 newcomers Evian-Thono-Gaillard are reported to be keen to take him back to his homeland, and Govou admits he could be tempted by such a move.

He has, however, revealed that he would relish the opportunity to test himself in the Premier League and hopes someone will take a gamble on his services.

"I want to leave as a free agent and Pana will not block my departure," Govou told L'Equipe.

Project

"I don't regret my season here. I have learnt a lot."

He added: "Evian-Thonon-Gaillard? We will have to study the project of the club and the project they have for me.

"Money? At 32 years of age it is obvious that I will not be able to ask for much as I am earning at Pana, that would be impossible.

"That is not an issue, though, and I have always wanted to play in the Premier League."

Wow.

Haven't seen him play for quite a while, but can't see Ashley going for a 32 year old.

Guest dover

Kevin Nolan from West Ham? 12 goals from midfield in premiership, captain, led newcastle to promotion the year before? Should be less than 4 million, decent squad player imo

Govou is derrrrg shite.

Plus he admitted he dosen't hold much love for football. Mercenary. No thanks.

Essou Akotto said that as well but is a very good left back and a solid pro.

I think Govou was quite exciting a few years back, but is far from his prime now.

Freiburg have signed Garra Dembele from Levski Sofia (36 goals in 39 games last season) today. A local (Bulgarian) newspaper mentions that he'll replace their goalscorer Papiss Cisse (22 goals, 2nd highest in the Bundesliga), who is apparently "set to move to Newcastle in the next few days". Extremely unlikely that it's an informed statement of any kind but thought I'd mention it..

I saw Garra Dembele at newcastle airport when he was on trial here a few years back.

Guest WashyGeordie

Freiburg have signed Garra Dembele from Levski Sofia (36 goals in 39 games last season) today. A local (Bulgarian) newspaper mentions that he'll replace their goalscorer Papiss Cisse (22 goals, 2nd highest in the Bundesliga), who is apparently "set to move to Newcastle in the next few days". Extremely unlikely that it's an informed statement of any kind but thought I'd mention it..

Didn't his name get mentioned sometime last week or summit?

Didn't his name get mentioned sometime last week or summit?

Someone on twitter said it was him, i think.

Link: http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/fotball/pl/article3171771.ece

Complete list of released players by EPL clubs:

Arsenal

Thomas Cruise, Roarie Deacon, Mark Randall

Aston Villa

Durrell Berry, John Carew, Ellis Deeney, Calum Flanagan, Harry Forrester, Arsenio Halfhuid, Isaiah Osbourne, Robert Pires, Nigel Reo-Coker, Moustapha Salifou

Birmingham City

Marcus Bent, Lee Bowyer, Sebastian Larsson, James McFadden, Mitchell McPike, James O'Shea, Stuart Parnaby, Kevin Phillips, Daniel Preston, Luke Rowe, Robin Shroot, Maik Taylor

Blackburn Rovers

Jordan Bowen, Jason Brown, Zurab Khizanishvili, Benjani Mwaruwari, Michael Potts, Maceo Rigters

Blackpool

David Carney, Daniel Coid, Ishmel Demontagnac, Rob Edwards, Jason Euell, Marlon Harewood, Richard Kingson, Malaury Martin, Paul Rachubka, Andy Reid, Salaheddine Sbai

Bolton Wanderers

Tamir Cohen, Johan Elmander, Ricardo Gardner, Joey O'Brien, Jlloyd Samuel, Samuel Sheridan

Chelsea

Samuel Hutchinson, Carl Magnay, Danny Philliskirk, Jan Sebek, Michael Woods

Everton

Kieran Agard, Hope Akpan, Nathan Craig, Gerard Kinsella, Lee McArdle, Iain Turner

Fulham

Zoltan Gera, Edward Johnson, Diomansy Kamara, John Pantsil, Matthew Saunders

Liverpool

Jason Banton, Deale Chamberlain, Douglas Cooper, Sean Highdale, Steven Irwin, Nikola Saric

Manchester City

Javier Garrido, Scott Kay, James Poole, Shaleum Logan, Andrew Tutte, Javan Vidal, Patrick Vieira, James Wood

Manchester United

Conor Devlin, Owen Hargreaves, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Edwin van der Sar

Newcastle United

Sol Campbell, Shefki Kuqi, Patrick McLaughlin

Stoke City

Abdoulaye Faye, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Ibrahima Sonko

Sunderland

Michael Kay, Nathan Luscombe, Daniel Madden, Robert Weir, Nathan Wilson, Mvoto Jean-Yves, Bolo Zenden

Tottenham Hotspur

Jonathan Woodgate

West Bromwich Albion

Giles Barnes, Marcus Haber, Dean Kiely, Abdoulaye Méîté

West Ham United

Anthony Edgar, Holmar Eyjolfsson, Daniel Gabbidon, Lars Jacobsen, Filip Modelski, Jonathan Spector, Adam Street, Matthew Upson

Wigan Athletic

Steven Caldwell, Daniel De Ridder, Joseph Holt, Jason Koumas, Thomas Lambert, Thomas Oakes, Francis Pollitt, Abian Serrano Davila

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Adriano Basso, Jody Craddock, John Dunleavy, Marcus Hahnemann, David Jones, Nathan Rooney

The highlighted names - realistic?