Kevin Nolan's comments to Liverpool TV (see OP)

Guest axel
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

Cant see what nolan said wrong tbh.  In the short term carroll does have better future at lfc than here under our present financial regime.

Seems pretty obvious really.

You don't bloody spout it off though especially when fans are angry about the whole thing.

Presumably the huge party inside SJP threw him off a little.

:lol:

Guest toonlass

Stripping him of the captaincy is going to be great for team morale isn't it? It's well known that Nolan, Barton, Harper and Smith are the lads who motivate the others. Michael Owen was a shit captain, couldn't motivate cement to set. At least Nolan has played his part in getting a group of lads who were left when the quitters left after relegation, and making them into a team. If the team have no problems with him being captain then who are we to demand he gives up the armband?

I genuinely couldn't give a fuck. Liverpool are and probably always will be in a different league to us, sadly.

They are a "big club" and we aren't.

In a way it's like being in the Championship and selling to the Premier League.

If I played for a Championship team and my pal was off to play in the Prem, I'd be delighted for him.

Watching it now...

It's a phone interview.

FULL TRANSCRIPT (slightly edited for clarity, but that's all)

Interviewer: "First of all, tell us what kind of player we're getting here at Liverpool."

Nolan: "Oh, you're getting a top, top player. Erm...obviously, I've had a lot of texts, lot of calls over the last day or so and um, quite surprised at how pleased everyone is with it, cause he's only burst onto the scene in the last 6 months, but believe you me, you've got a top, top player.  He's gonna be one of the best, I certainly believe, he's definitely up there...there's no one like him in the league.  He will score you goals, he'll create you goals, he'll show you desire...what Liverpool fans want, and they deserve it."

Interviewer: "What kind of character is he in the dressing room?  is he a strong character?"

Nolan: "Yeah, obviously, he's a young lad, you know, everyone forgets that.  We all made mistakes when we were young, it's just that his have been well-publicised.  He's a great lad around the dressing room, you know he's funny in his own little wicked way.  I'm very friendly with him - I've managed to get away with him a few times last year, with a couple of friends of mine who are gonna be in Liverpool with him to help him settle in.  When we first heard about it - well, when I heard about it with him - he just said to me, 'Whatcha think?' and you can imagine my reaction towards him and everything, I was just delighted for him.  He's gonna be a great addition to hopefully what's gonna be a great new start for Liverpool."

Interviewer: 'Are you surprised at how much he's developed over the last 12 months?"

Nolan: "Yeah, I don't think anyone can say they're not surprised.  But we always knew he had the talent, it was just the temperament and everything what comes with it.  but he has got it - he's got everything.  I think you've seen a lot of things wrote about him in the papers, which in my own opinion, has been very unfair - and I'm talking about the front pages up here - but I think when he gets on the pitch there's not many people who are gonna stop him.  With the quality Liverpool have got, the likes of Stevie, Meireles, the players probably yous have been linked with to get in the window and again in the summer puttin' it on a plate for him, he won't let them down, I'm confident."

Interviewer: "He does seem to now really believe he can terrorise defenses in the premier League-  do you see that to be true?"

Nolan: "I loved played with him, because you know he is gonna give you everything he's got and he's gonna make sure the two central defenders come up knowing they've got a game.  People say he's an old fashioned type center forward, but i'm sure over the next 5 years or so, you'll see he's got more than that to his game.  He is, you know - he does like a header and all - but he's got more to his game.  I think it showed with the goal against yous at our place this season, he's got the talent to strike a great ball too, overall his play's been brilliant for us.  I'm absolutely gutted we've lost him but I'm absolutely delighted to see him go to such a fantastic club."

When we first heard about it - well, when I heard about it with him - he just said to me, 'Whatcha think?' and you can imagine my reaction towards him and everything, I was just delighted for him.  He's gonna be a great addition to hopefully what's gonna be a great new start for Liverpool."

Might as well be his fucking agent.

When we first heard about it - well, when I heard about it with him - he just said to me, 'Whatcha think?' and you can imagine my reaction towards him and everything, I was just delighted for him.  He's gonna be a great addition to hopefully what's gonna be a great new start for Liverpool."

I wonder if Nolan had turned round and said stay if it would have made a difference.

Considering how close and how much Carroll looks up to him i'd be inclined to say it would have had some impact.

I'm sorry, but that comment just makes me want to be fucking sick.

I'm sorry, but that comment just makes me want to be fucking sick.

Absolutely takes the mick does that comment. What's he playing at?

Guest firetotheworks

He wants lynched for that. He obviously has no idea about the pride we have for our club, and coming from playing for Bolton for years has made him assume that we'd agree with his incredibly insulting remarks. I thought he knew what it meant to be a Newcastle captain, and on the pitch he seems to, but he's gone way way down in my estimations coming out with that. Can you imagine Gerrard doing an interview for Chelsea tv!?

Guest neesy111

Mate of mine defending it, saying because he's a season ticket holder at Liverpool makes it ok for him to encourage our players to join them.

Do have to wonder Nolan's involvement in the whole deal now after this?

Mate of mine defending it, saying because he's a season ticket holder at Liverpool makes it ok for him to encourage our players to join them.

Do have to wonder Nolan's involvement in the whole deal now after this?

Aye, it was Nolan who told him to go to Llambias and ask for a new contract.

So we've seen a young lad from Gateshead who was wearing the most famous shirt in the club's history leave and sign for Liverpool. But we're surprised that one footballer could be happy for another when he's just got a massive move.

Just read all of those Nolan quotes and other than the 'delighted for him' there's nothing even remotely dodgy. Bit naive of Nolan to think that these comments wouldn't be dissected by Newcastle fans, but we can hardly be surprised at anything that's said.

We now know that a player's loyalty to the club that employs them doesn't override everything else.

Think there's been a slight over-reaction in this thread, but what Nolan did was very unprofessional and there was no need for it.

Why the fuck is he even doing interviews for them anyway? Just politely decline the opportunity to do an interview for them and get on with doing your job.

Yep, it was all Nolan's fault.

Carroll wasn't going to take that £50k per week payrise and Ashley wasn't going to accept that record-breaking bid until Kevin Nolan said he liked Liverpool.

Hell's tits we've got bigger things to worry about than Kevin Nolan's mouth for fuck's sake.

His ten goals this season mean I struggle to give a fuck about this.

Andy Carroll's 11 goals will be a bigger miss, especially since he probably created half of Nolan's goals as well. IMO Nolan was in a position to offer better advice to Carroll but was obviously more delighted to see him at Liverpool. He takes a fair bit of the blame for the Carroll sale in my book.

Fair bit of the blame? Howay man, Carroll is a big lad. He makes his own decisions. I'd imagine any conversation he had with Nolan was done more or less after the deal was well on its way to completion. The club wanted the money and Carroll wanted to go.

I'm already sick to death of hearing about Carroll's transfer, I'm sick to death of hearing X slag off Y in the press and I'm also sick of hysterical reactions to almost any perceived slight by some of our fans. It's the type of stuff that makes us look a bit of a joke. Life goes on. However ill advised Nolan's interview was he's one of the few players whose commitment to NUFC hasn't been in any doubt since he joined the club.

Might as well be his f***ing agent.

That really is fucking sickening.

Might as well be his f***ing agent.

I'm sorry, but that comment just makes me want to be f***ing sick.

:sadnod:

Unfortunately, we need him and his goals right now, and stripping him of the captaincy could destroy the morale. Would do it in a heartbeat otherwise.

Guest neesy111

So we've seen a young lad from Gateshead who was wearing the most famous shirt in the club's history leave and sign for Liverpool. But we're surprised that one footballer could be happy for another when he's just got a massive move.

Just read all of those Nolan quotes and other than the 'delighted for him' there's nothing even remotely dodgy. Bit naive of Nolan to think that these comments wouldn't be dissected by Newcastle fans, but we can hardly be surprised at anything that's said.

We now know that a player's loyalty to the club that employs them doesn't override everything else.

The fact is you don't say that publically so soon after it.