Football in pubs: North East pubs facing foreign channel crackdown

Guest neesy111

What will happen is that sports rights will become less valuable, which should mean smaller TV contracts for clubs.

it's been Mike Ashley's plan all along, he saw the long game when others only saw the short - wait 'til sky collapses ala ITV and clubs start going bust, we'll be top of the shitpile

probably only going to take another decade of appeals and shit for it to kick in like, but he'll be right in the end

Out of interest, the cheapest option at the moment to get Premiership football is with Albanian provider Tring at £250 a year. They show 8 live games out of 10 each weekend.

Viaplay.se is cheaper.. i pay like £17/month for Premier League(all games) Champions League, Euro Q, golf, tennis, NFL and everything from F1

Maybe you need a swedish bankcard to use, dont know..

Out of interest, the cheapest option at the moment to get Premiership football is with Albanian provider Tring at £250 a year. They show 8 live games out of 10 each weekend.

Viaplay.se is cheaper.. i pay like £17/month for Premier League(all games) Champions League, Euro Q, golf, tennis, NFL and everything from F1

Maybe you need a swedish bankcard to use, dont know..

Yeah and i doubt that media will work outside of Sweden.

I would love a legitimate Canal+ Finland sub, €28 a month i believe.

What will happen is that sports rights will become less valuable, which should mean smaller TV contracts for clubs.

it's been Mike Ashley's plan all along, he saw the long game when others only saw the short - wait 'til sky collapses ala ITV and clubs start going bust, we'll be top of the shitpile

probably only going to take another decade of appeals and shit for it to kick in like, but he'll be right in the end

It will collapse all the signs are there. The EU is all about encouraging competition and fair play.

What Do You Mean, Seriously Explain Because I Just Don't Understand In Less than Fifty Words?

The Court ruled the ordinary everyday person is entitled to obtain and use a foreign football channel for personal use. However the Premier League and Sky were given some protection in regard to providing football to paying customers in environments such as pubs. While they cannot prevent the football match itself from being televised, the Premier League have copyright over it's logo, theme music, etc. So any use of this copyrighted material is prohibited.

This might become more relevant if the Premier League attempts to plaster logos and other copyright material all over the shop during a match in order to prevent them from being televised full stop.

• 1 month later...

Anybody else notice this having a huge effect now? Was in Cardiff the other week and they were showing 'Novasports' in the hotel bar I was staying in.. Based in Bristol at the moment, and tons of local bars are now showing 3pm kick offs on Novasports around town even advertising Watch live football on 'Novasports' here. Will surely have a big effect on the TV money involved with the leagues + attendances in the coming months/years?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye.

Shark Bar in town show all Newcastle games on huge screens. Local pub shows them too. Not complaining though.

• 3 months later...
Pub landlady Karen Murphy wins TV football court case

A pub landlady has won her court fight with the English Premier League over using a Greek TV decoder to screen games.

Karen Murphy has paid nearly £8,000 in fines and costs for using the cheaper decoder in her Portsmouth pub to bypass controls over match screening.

But she took her case to the European Court of Justice (ECJ).

It found partly in her favour, and now the High Court in London has also found in her favour.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

Pub landlady Karen Murphy wins TV football court case

A pub landlady has won her court fight with the English Premier League over using a Greek TV decoder to screen games.

Karen Murphy has paid nearly £8,000 in fines and costs for using the cheaper decoder in her Portsmouth pub to bypass controls over match screening.

But she took her case to the European Court of Justice (ECJ).

It found partly in her favour, and now the High Court in London has also found in her favour.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

doesn't sound like a conclusive judgement, this certainly isn't the last we've heard of this.