Leon Best

Godot

We know Ashley would rather cash in on Best for £3m now and worry about securing a replacement later. He won't risk losing him for nothing at the end of this coming season. I certainly can't see Best getting offered a new contract at NUFC.

Pardew inset too keen on him IMO as well.

Not if rumours that he was willing to sell him to Celtic last January are true. Pardew said they had offers for players but they wanted to stay. We'd have been down to Shola as the only striker if we'd sold Best last January!

We know Ashley would rather cash in on Best for £3m now and worry about securing a replacement later. He won't risk losing him for nothing at the end of this coming season. I certainly can't see Best getting offered a new contract at NUFC.

Pardew inset too keen on him IMO as well.

And we have offered 10 million for a striker that will be better than him. He has been good to have around but he's not that good tbh and would struggle to be on same wavelength as Ben Arfa, Cisse etc so right that he goes I think

Did a good job for us and i'd be happy with £3m for him.  Stick that £3m towards De Jong and i'd consider that a great upgrade.  I'm a little surprised other prem teams aren't in for him at that price though.  Everton, Reading or even Sunderland could use him at that price, he'd do a decent job for them I think.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/9787347.Blackburn_Rovers_close_in_on_Toon_striker_Best/

BLACKBURN Rovers resumed talks with Leon Best’s representatives yesterday as they look to finalise a deal for the Newcastle striker and fend off interest from rival clubs.

Rovers have already agreed a fee with the Magpies for the Republic of Ireland international, understood to be in the region of £3m, and will be eager to complete the transfer quickly amid interest from Premier League sides Southampton and Norwich.

Rovers met Best’s agent yesterday as further discussions were held over personal terms for the 25-year-old.

Southampton are said to have been weighing up a bid to take the forward back to the south coast, after starting his career at St Mary’s in 2004.

Saints, however, do already have fierce competition in the striker department after boss Nigel Adkins recently added Burnley striker Jay Rodriguez to a front line containing Rickie Lambert and Billy Sharp.

Norwich have also been linked following the appointment of Chris Hughton - the manager who took Best to Newcastle from Coventry two years ago.

But Steve Kean also knows Best, having worked with him during a spell as assistant to Chris Coleman at Coventry, and Rovers are still believed to be in pole position to complete a deal.

Rovers want to bolster their strike force, with Yakubu set to complete a £1m move to Chinese side Guangzhou R&F because of a relegation exit clause in his Ewood contract, and are likely to be able to offer the striker regular football – albeit in the Championship.

Kean is also due to lose attacking option Junior Hoilett this summer as the Canadian opts to move elsewhere at the end of his Rovers deal.

Best has scored 10 Premier League goals since joining Newcastle but has found himself further down the pecking order at St James’ Park following the arrival of Demba Ba and then Papiss Cisse.

He has made seven appearances for the Republic of Ireland since 2009, qualifying for the country through his mother’s side of the family, but was overlooked by Giovanni Trapattoni for the squad for Euro 2012.

If Rovers were able to complete a deal he would become the club’s second signing of the summer after midfielder Danny Murphy, who finalised a two-year deal with the club on Monday following the end of his contract at Fulham.

It's a good price if we fetch in some cover.  Should Ba stay, we'll lose our 1st and 2nd choice strikers for 5-6 weeks, Shola isn't fit to start games and we're trying to offload Ranger (who is shit anyway).  Going to have a lot more games should we qualify for the Europa and we need someone to call on in the Senegal boys absence.

Hopefully this is a sign we're looking to play a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, as that formation was spot on back end of the season.

Suppose I need a new Avatar now  :weep:

I think Murphy and Best could do some damage to the Championship, think they'll be right up there.

They will need to or they risk losing out on the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that is the new TV money. It's a good thing we got our house in order so quickly after going down three years ago, because the fight at the bottom of the Premiership table and the top of the Championship looks like hotting up considerably..

Best will easily get 15-20 goals in that division, especially if Blackburn can keep most of their squad. Think they'll win the division at a canter if so, even in spite of Steve Kean.

Best of luck to him if he does go to Blackburn/decide to move on. Do not have one bad word to say about him, he's always done a decent job whenever called upon - he really did give his all on every occasion and he did have a decent goalscoring record with us. He more than played his role last season and the season before that.

Would have kept him on tbh.

Guest neesy111

Best will easily get 15-20 goals in that division, especially if Blackburn can keep most of their squad. Think they'll win the division at a canter if so, even in spite of Steve Kean.

Really?

The most Best has scored is 9 in that division and his injury record is pretty bad as well.