Leon Best

Godot

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110828/a-team-effort-for-pardew_2281670_2435106

Leon Best made his first Premier League start of the season and repaid Pardew's faith with a second-half double to condemn Fulham to defeat. And while the boss believes there is still room for improvement with the front man, he was full of praise for Best's display.

"He's a player who is trying to establish himself as a Premier League player," explained Pardew.

"I never really worry about his confidence. He kind of has that in abundance, which is not a bad thing for a footballer.

"I have known him for a long, long time and come up against him a couple of times and for me, he has never really had a run where he has said, 'I'm the man'.

"He will get an opportunity now and he needs to prove it. He was unlucky last year, to be fair, because an injury came at a really bad time for him when he was doing fantastically. He still needs to improve in some areas, but he was great today, especially in the second half."

Wonder if that's because he's moved up the pecking order or because there's nobody else coming in.

when the 2nd goal went in the kid in front of me turned around and said "ashley'll be putting the cheque book away right now".

We're woefully short of players in every position as decent cover who can come in and do a job seamlessly.

Aye, a player has just scored 2 goals to win you the game and the manager is supposed to come out and say "well, he did well but he's not good enough, I want a new striker by wednesday" ???

s*** player, slow, often offside and adds little to open play.  BUT seems to know how to be in the right place at the right time.  A certain Mr. Shearer was like this towards the end of his career and he still scored a few goals.

Leon Best is 24...tbh i reckon its just laziness...its a lack of concentration which he can ill-afford, its not like he is first choice let alone automatic first choice. I love Best mind, he has a good skill set but his offsides are frustrating.

I think he's a good target man. Keeps possession well and has the ability to direct his headers towards team mates rather than just nod it forward.

His inability to stay onside and lack of pace means he'll never be anything else than decent, but good back up and a decent alternative when we need it.

My problem with Best is that he gets GOALS but is usually shit in his overall play making me confused. He seems to be nothing more than an average footballer. But fucking hell if he's getting us goals he should start because thats what really matter.

I must be the only one that actually thinks his general play is good? I mean, maybe I'm just starved of seeing decent strikers - but I like his hold up play at times and he wins headers, works hard etc.

:thup:

He's not a shit player, he's not particularly slow and he adds goals, holding up the ball, a few headers, chasing down the ball etc. to open play.

In fact, the only thing RC got right was that he's an idiot and spends half the game offside.

He does a little bit of everything and is maximising every ounce of ability he has. I think Beardsley's comments about him being a 'student of the game' are noticable in his game, especially his ability to sniff out chances.

I must be the only one that actually thinks his general play is good? I mean, maybe I'm just starved of seeing decent strikers - but I like his hold up play at times and he wins headers, works hard etc.

Agree, he's not bad. Wish he wasn't offside so much, but that's only annoying because he rarely gets it right. If he tweaked his runs enough to get in on goal once a match I wouldn't give a shite about that either.

My problem with Best is that he gets GOALS but is usually s*** in his overall play making me confused. He seems to be nothing more than an average footballer. But f***ing hell if he's getting us goals he should start because thats what really matter.

:thup:

And he will, with games.

Problem is he's third in line IMO (not that I agree with it), and when/if Ben Arfa is back will probably be fourth. If we sign someone else he'll be fifth or sold.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

His general play isn't bad, it's just usually not that convincing. Very good in the box though and  a huge improvement on the likes of Lovenkrands.

His general play isn't bad, it's just usually not that convincing. Very good in the box though and  a huge improvement on the likes of Lovenkrands.

this more or less, other than a Sholaesque tendency to get caught offside his build up play is pretty average, excellent in the box though always gets in great positions even if he misses some chances

I think Best really needs people setting these things up on a platter, and then he's the best bet we have to stick it in the back of the net.

Lovenkrands and Ameobi are just wastes, since they don't compliment him at all.

Ba got the assist to him today, perhaps Best and Ba are our best option atm?

I think Best really needs people setting these things up on a platter, and then he's the best bet we have to stick it in the back of the net.

Lovenkrands and Ameobi are just wastes, since they don't compliment him at all.

Ba got the assist to him today, perhaps Best and Ba are our best option atm?

Can't agree with that part, especially. He's not in those positions by accident. He also contributes much more to us than that.