Leon Best

Godot

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110828/a-team-effort-for-pardew_2281670_2435106

Leon Best made his first Premier League start of the season and repaid Pardew's faith with a second-half double to condemn Fulham to defeat. And while the boss believes there is still room for improvement with the front man, he was full of praise for Best's display.

"He's a player who is trying to establish himself as a Premier League player," explained Pardew.

"I never really worry about his confidence. He kind of has that in abundance, which is not a bad thing for a footballer.

"I have known him for a long, long time and come up against him a couple of times and for me, he has never really had a run where he has said, 'I'm the man'.

"He will get an opportunity now and he needs to prove it. He was unlucky last year, to be fair, because an injury came at a really bad time for him when he was doing fantastically. He still needs to improve in some areas, but he was great today, especially in the second half."

Wonder if that's because he's moved up the pecking order or because there's nobody else coming in.

Hmm.

Yup. Very suspicious imo.

I swear the "hierarchy" decided, look this guy keeps scoring when he plays, and we can't shift any strikers, and so we won't sign anyone. Play him.

Amazing that this guy was apparently even behind Loven at the start of the season. Crazy.

Really hope he can just make the whole situation a little less unbearable by maintaining his goalscoring.

In a way it's nice that he will get a chance, but it shouldn't have come about this way.

Guest Rainforest

In a way it's nice that he will get a chance, but it shouldn't have come about this way.

Agreed, in a way its a good thing as he is given a genuine chance. Bit of a gamble mind, could go horribly wrong. Exciting times!

:troll:

I like Best even if he can look ungainly at times. He done Hangelaand over pretty well and consider this was the guy who kept Carroll quiet at St James last year. The problem isn't Ba or Best, it's that we've got no one to play off them while HBA's out. Unless we start throwing Sammy and Vukic in there which is our best bet even if it's a bit early ideally.

Hope he handles the pressure and continues to do well.  Just got a horrible feeling the minute Shola is fit, he will stroll back into the team, Pardew seems to love him.

Yup :(

Still trying to work out what Shola has on someone at the club, there doesn't seem to be anyone who has been around long enough.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Hope he handles the pressure and continues to do well.  Just got a horrible feeling the minute Shola is fit, he will stroll back into the team, Pardew seems to love him.

Think he will quite rightly go with Best and Ba against QPR, hopefully it will pick up and we won't see Shola anywhere near :thup:

I like Best even if he can look ungainly at times. He done Hangelaand over pretty well and consider this was the guy who kept Carroll quiet at St James last year. The problem isn't Ba or Best, it's that we've got no one to play off them while HBA's out. Unless we start throwing Sammy and Vukic in there which is our best bet even if it's a bit early ideally.

Despite his size, I think Ba could potentially play off Best.  Ok so he's not the quickest, but he seems to make or at least attempt much more intelligent runs than the others.  3 or 4 times on Sunday Lover could and should have got on the end of a Best flick on, but he was flat on his heels or just not in the same county as his strike partner.

Ba after a massive big bowl of spaghetti washed down with 3 powerades could be the answer.

Could Marveaux play off a forward? Sure I have read he has played that role before and he looks to have a heavy left peg.

I'd like him or Gutierrez to play as a right winger. But aye, pretty sure he can play through the middle as well.

Despite his size, I think Ba could potentially play off Best.  Ok so he's not the quickest, but he seems to make or at least attempt much more intelligent runs than the others.  3 or 4 times on Sunday Lover could and should have got on the end of a Best flick on, but he was flat on his heels or just not in the same county as his strike partner.

Ba after a massive big bowl of spaghetti washed down with 3 powerades could be the answer.

Ba looked pretty quick when i saw him last season. We need to get him up to speed then we will have no worries (until his leg falls off).

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Ba is actualy supposed to be pretty quick when fit. He looked like a fucking snail against Fukham like.

He is. Looked so to me anyway.

There is the possibilty, he makes more intellignet runs than Obertan for instance, who just stands watching the flick ons. I would like to have someone a bit quicker though to hit on the break and pull defenders wide, so maybe Marveaux could be considered. Until we see Ba up to full speed it's hard to assess him really.

There is the possibilty, he makes more intellignet runs than Obertan for instance, who just stands watching the flick ons. I would like to have someone a bit quicker though to hit on the break and pull defenders wide, so maybe Marveaux could be considered. Until we see Ba up to full speed it's hard to assess him really.

I would also like to see Marveaux given a chance playing off the striker, especially away from home.  A 3 behind Ba or Best of Marveaux, Obertan and Jonas is a pretty damn good idea, still got HBA to come back as well  :smitten:

I think the resident Sylvain Marveaux expert disagrees about him playing centrally though?

Reckon you're refering to Colocho, but:

Could Marveaux play off a forward? Sure I have read he has played that role before and he looks to have a heavy left peg.

I'd like him or Gutierrez to play as a right winger. But aye, pretty sure he can play through the middle as well.

Ba is actualy supposed to be pretty quick when fit. He looked like a f***ing snail against Fukham like.

Give him a few more games to come out his shell

:cheesy:

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Ba is actualy supposed to be pretty quick when fit. He looked like a f***ing snail against Fukham like.

I heard that myth somewhere too

I heard that myth somewhere too

http://zap-file.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/MythBusters-S09E11-Let-There-Be-Light-720p-HDTV-x264-MOMENTUM.gif

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110828/a-team-effort-for-pardew_2281670_2435106

Leon Best made his first Premier League start of the season and repaid Pardew's faith with a second-half double to condemn Fulham to defeat. And while the boss believes there is still room for improvement with the front man, he was full of praise for Best's display.

"He's a player who is trying to establish himself as a Premier League player," explained Pardew.

"I never really worry about his confidence. He kind of has that in abundance, which is not a bad thing for a footballer.

"I have known him for a long, long time and come up against him a couple of times and for me, he has never really had a run where he has said, 'I'm the man'.

"He will get an opportunity now and he needs to prove it. He was unlucky last year, to be fair, because an injury came at a really bad time for him when he was doing fantastically. He still needs to improve in some areas, but he was great today, especially in the second half."

Wonder if that's because he's moved up the pecking order or because there's nobody else coming in.

Hmm.

His whole Premier League career has been a run where 'he's the man'.

8 in 13 is a record we'd be happy with from a £20m striker.