Sammy Ameobi released

James

The key for me, is when he's just decisive and goes with option 1 (dribble & cross) or option 2 (take his man on) he's pretty good. It's when he tries too much. I do like the cross on him, he smacks them in, low or chest height - perfect for volleys, redirects, or bullet headers.

The game has changed so much in recent years that it is perfect for a gangly awkward player with an unpredictable gait and dribble like Sammy to run at defenders and try to turn them in the box. It is almost impossible to touch an opponent now when defending without giving away a foul. I think he should have a great career ahead of him because of this.

It makes me wonder what sort of havoc someone like Tony Green or George Best at their peak would have caused with the sort of protection they get today.

(or Hughie Gallagher)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought he did OK, but tired towards the end. Certainly prepared to have a go at his fullback and get some crosses in.

Is he the new target for the boo-boys now his brother has gone?

He was shit. Barely controlled the ball all game breaking down what few attacks we might have had. Can't believe he lasted as long as he did.