Sammy Ameobi released

James

It'll go to the lower leagues

Probably. From what he's shown so far, Championship is most likely. I still believe given a good run of minutes and injury free, he's capable on staying at a PL club.

He's now 22 though and if he fails to produce this season, chances are he will be let go and he'll have a job on his hands to get backing playing for a PL club again if he demotes to the championship.

It'll go to the lower leagues

Probably. From what he's shown so far, Championship is most likely. I still believe given a good run of minutes and injury free, he's capable on staying at a PL club.

He's now 22 though and if he fails to produce this season, chances are he will be let go and he'll have a job on his hands to get backing playing for a PL club again if he demotes to the championship.

I just don't think he has the ability for the top level. Though he has hardly been given a chance

You see some of the shite in this league though and it's not really top level stuff. He's got a chance still. I'd have him starting over Gouffran, only player offering natural width in the side at present with Aarons injured.

I think Sammy lacks balance, awareness and desire tbh. Those issues compounded with the fact he doesn't really have a position will stop him from ever really being a good player.

:thup: He has the raw talent (decent pace, technique and dribbling) but your assessment is probably very close to what will happen. Hard to see him getting the minutes he needs here. Hope he can find a good team in the Championship and get back to the PL that way with a smaller club.

That article is ridiculous though, last time he had a run in the team he was easily one of the better performing players. Pardew is a joke.

I think Sammy lacks balance, awareness and desire tbh. Those issues compounded with the fact he doesn't really have a position will stop him from ever really being a good player.

:thup: He has the raw talent (decent pace, technique and dribbling) but your assessment is probably very close to what will happen. Hard to see him getting the minutes he needs here. Hope he can find a good team in the Championship and get back to the PL that way with a smaller club.

That article is ridiculous though, last time he had a run in the team he was easily one of the better performing players. Pardew is a joke.

Pardew "sees him every day in training".

As for his career path, SanToon is mostly correct, imo. I do rate Sammy as a player, but I think he'll end up spending the next five-six years or so performing fairly well (though still lacking end-product which is quite obviously never going to be a part of his game), eventually get his way back into Premiership through being bought cheaply or promoted, score a brace at SJP for another team, record a few hilariously shameful appearances for Nigeria, and end up back in obscurity, probably abroad.

Pardew "sees him every day in training".

As for his career path, SanToon is mostly correct, imo. I do rate Sammy as a player, but I think he'll end up spending the next five-six years or so performing fairly well (though still lacking end-product which is quite obviously never going to be a part of his game), eventually get his way back into Premiership through being bought cheaply or promoted, score a brace at SJP for another team, record a few hilariously shameful appearances for Nigeria, and end up back in obscurity, probably abroad.

That's some detail!

I don't doubt his talent. What I'm unsure about is his determination and ambition. He seems quite a laid-back, happy-go-lucky character and I wonder whether he has the drive and the aggression to really push himself.

Either that, or the gap between what Pardew thinks he could achieve and what he does achieve is creating a bad impression, regardless of the actual value of his contribution compared to others.

He'll be a superior Wayne Routledge in a few years once a decent coaching set up gets its hands on him.

Routledge is significantly better IMO, although I quite like Sammy.

By the age of 22 Wayne Routledge had played over 100 competitive games for Crystal Palace and looked a great prospect. Ameobi's 22 and played less than 40 competitive games.

Truly, if he had ambition he would demand a loan and regular first team football. Even if it's league 1.

He'll be a superior Wayne Routledge in a few years once a decent coaching set up gets its hands on him.

By the age of 22 Wayne Routledge had played over 100 competitive games for Crystal Palace and looked a great prospect. Ameobi's 22 and played less than 40 competitive games.

Truly, if he had ambition he would demand a loan and regular first team football. Even if it's league 1.

he went on loan to Middlesbrough last season and did pretty well by all accounts.

he went on loan to Middlesbrough last season and did pretty well by all accounts.

he played 9 times. He needs to get 30 odd starts under his belt this season.

Unless it's the account of the Boro fans, who mostly said he was shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch this space for more drivel from Pardew about how "we was tellinh him he needs to step up and take his chances as he is running out of chances..on today's form we are happy he's taken my advice and performed well."

Or just the fact he was given a chance and put on the pitch may have helped.

Not really sure why people hate on this lad so much. For someone who isn't a big money signing, he always seems to give opposition players a hard time when he gets a chance.

Purely because of his surname tbh.

Mind he's a lot better than Shola!!!

Great cross for the goal. At least he looks to be positive when he comes on. It may not always work, but for me a winger first job is to be positive take people on put in crosses, more than just track back and help your full back.

Makes more of an impact than Gouff, Cabella or Obertan.

Frustrating how much potential we actually have in our squad ruined by the guff coaching it. As mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be opposed to Aaron's and Sammy either wing. Depending how he settles Cabella behind Cisse. Surely even numnuts has to realize now we should be switching back to 2 up front.