Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

Wasnt expecting him to get a start here, thought he might come of the bench. Very pleased he not only stayed on the pitch the entire game but gave a good account of himself.

Interesting to see what we do with him from now on. Wonder if we do see him potentially filling in for Tiote after christmas, should he continue to improve of course.

Mehdi, Steady, Go!

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Before his debut at Nottingham Forest, Mehdi Abeid hoped to play for 90 minutes - but the French teenager was not counting on playing for 120 minutes!

But the summer signing from Lens put in an excellent performance as United went into the fourth round of the Carling Cup after extra time at the City Ground.

He passed the ball well, tackled impressively and never stopped running, showing just why Reserve Team Coach Peter Beardsley rates him so highly.

And after a memorable evening for him, the 19-year-old midfielder spoke to nufc.co.uk.

"I'm really happy to have played today," Abeid said. "It was a really, really good game.

"I was very happy to be in the squad and even moresoto play.

"It was a unique moment. I was really in a dream and I enjoyed the game.

"Before the game I was a little bit nervous because it was my first game with any first-team and my first game for Newcastle.

"But it was a good game, It was difficult because I was injured and I only came back to training on Saturday, so it was difficult in the last moments of the match.

"I have some cramp but I feel okay. I will recover and drink lots of water so I feel better for the weekend.

"I thought I did well and I can beeven better in the future I hope."

The midfielder also had a message for the fans who roared United on to their last gasp victory in the Midlands.

"I just want to say I enjoyed playing today and I hope they like my game."Abeid said."I know I can be better in the weeks to come and I hope I can be a very good signing for the fans this season.

"The fans are really special. I like the Newcastle fans. To have more than 2,000 here was really good and they shout so loud!"

"The fans are really special. I like the Newcastle fans. To have more than 2,000 here was really good and they shout so loud!" :aww:

Guest magpie99

I was thinking today just how much we are starting to look like a lesser version of the current Manchester United set up.

I have been impressed with the way Ferguson sends out his younger players on loan for a season or two before bringing them into his first team set up. Recent performances of the likes of Wellbeck, Evans, Jones etc have impressed me whilst the likes of Anderson are becoming more impressive.

If we can replicate this by phasing in our younger players like Abeid, Tav, Ferguson, Vuckic, Kadar and Ameobi over the next season or two, keep the likes of Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Colo, Jonas untill the kids are ready and buy a goalscorer (Cisse), then I can really see us going places, if, and it is a big IF, we can keep these players together rather than moving them on at high prices a la Carroll.

Abeid certainly looks the part and Pardew needs to pick and choose the games to play him in where his confidence is not affected and the team performance is not lessened.

Certainly one of the conveyor belt for the future.

Is his name pronounced Abayed, like obeyed? That's what the commentators were saying last night, but then I've also heard "Tie-oat", "Obraton" and "Marvoo" this season.

I believe Abied is pronounced 'Abeed'.

That's how some commentators are pronouncing it, I've a feeling it's probably Abayd in reality.