Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Teams in the Champions League year after year after year are basically part of a little cartel who have the resources to hoover up lots of talented kids and cherry pick the best players from rival clubs. The strong get stronger and it's becoming virtually impossible to break into the top end of the PL without spending half a billion quid. The odd team here and there manages it from time to time but you need to get in AND stay there if you're going to gatecrash the gig. That's the hard part.

Teams in the Champions League year after year after year are basically part of a little cartel who have the resources to hoover up lots of talented kids and cherry pick the best players from rival clubs. The strong get stronger and it's becoming virtually impossible to break into the top end of the PL without spending half a billion quid. The odd team here and there manages it from time to time but you need to get in AND stay there if you're going to gatecrash the gig. That's the hard part.

10 years ago that would have been the biggest exaggeration ever :lol:

I hate Spurs but I hope they hang on to Modric.

One of the worst things about the modern game is the attitude that footballers have now re: the Champions League. They think "earning" it now is being signed by a Champions League club rather than earning it by their own team getting there by being one of the best four teams over one season. Modric has some fucking nerve, he's just been in it with Spurs, they drop out of it for one year and he's like a spoilt child, "I want it now now now". Waffling on about Chelsea being a bigger club than Spurs - what an arsehole. Spurs have shown nothing but ambition since he's been at WHL but now he's too good for them?

Players like Stewart Downing make me laugh. Who the fuck does he think he is trying to get out of Aston Villa? Villa are one of the biggest ten clubs in the country - that is his level. He's a canny player but now, any player who has a good half a dozen games immediately thinks they have to go running to the "big" clubs begging to be taken on and taken away from minnows like Newcastle, Spurs, Aston Villa, Everton, great historic clubs with massive support who could really punch their weight if these cunts didn't stop clamouring to go and sit on Chelsea's bench. It's like Pienaar last year, just desperate to get away to Spurs from Everton and for what? Three or four Champions League games ffs.

People talk about the greed of footballers but for me, this is a much greater annoyance.

Well said, Wullie.

I too hope Spurs keep Modric.

it is bad enough us losing Milner and then Young, but if it continues to happen to Spurs, who have actually just been in the CL, it makes you wonder why bother trying to get there.

Can't get into the CL? Lose your best players.

Get into the CL but don't stay there for good? Lose them anyway, as they've had a taste.

Someone said the other day that football in this country is largely about four clubs who pretty much monopolise the CL places, then there are six or so more clubs (the likes of Villa, Newcastle, Everton, Spurs) who seem to be on a cycle of challenging for a bit, then fading for a bit, then challenging for a bit, then fading. It's like a hamster wheel of frustration. If it isn't the clubs who are traditionally there, it now includes Man City who have won the lottery, crashed the party and are prepared to pay mental money for players to sit on their arses on their bench "just in case"

If you want to see what is wrong with the English game, look at really promising players like Sturridge, who go to Chelsea in the knowledge they'll sit on the fucking bench while a load of expensive foreign show ponies get the big gigs.

It is all fucked beyond belief.

So where does it stop then? Should Neil Taylor not sign for us because he should play for the club that gave him his break and promotion to the Premier League? Should Jermaine Beckford stay with Leeds and not have a shot at the Premier League with Everton? Or how about people like Ashley Young who desserted Watford to join a European chasing club?

will the last one at vicarage road turn off the lights please...

although apparently chris hughton may be our new manager, if whispers are to be believed...

Guest Howaythetoon

Clubs need to be tougher with their players. If Modric wants away, play him in the fucking reserves until his contract expires. That will never happen of course but I'd love a club to stand up to a player, it only takes one high profile player to be told to honour his contract in such a way, and many more clubs would get tougher. Players have all the power yet in reality it should be the clubs with all the power. Money is what has ruined the game. Remove that element and it becomes a competition again where hard work and intelligence gets rewards not £££££££

Forest won the European Cup in the 80s. Imagine that kind of thing happening today?

Had a impressive season to say the least, would be a good option in an young and up & coming manager for sure.

Wish we could get someone in who stayed put for some years.

What's hppened to Leonardo?

Had a impressive season to say the least, would be a good option in an young and up & coming manager for sure.

Wish we could get someone in who stayed put for some years.

What's hppened to Leonardo?

Doesn't want to do the managerial role any more, probably going to PSG as a technical director even though it's nothing certain yet.

He could even stay as a manager at Inter as of right now, we'll see.

He's a mediocre manager, at best, anyway.

Wonder if Lorient have plans to field some sort of team next season?

Jeremy Morel signed today for Marseille

A local boy that. For peanuts as well. Not looking good for them with three of their best players out.

Yep, Leonardo did good overall apart from that run of games that ended the season (Meelan and then Schalke) basically. Before that he had steadied a ship and brought some decent results.

I do think he lacks tactically, but in terms of being able to motivate a team he's very good.

Yep, Leonardo did good overall apart from that run of games that ended the season (Meelan and then Schalke) basically. Before that he had steadied a ship and brought some decent results.

I do think he lacks tactically, but in terms of being able to motivate a team he's very good.

And on the plus side he loves playing an attacking football.