Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Rumours of Isco to Chelsea for £15m

We could have an amazing manager, good squad, owner everyone loves, but when clubs can go and do this and spend £80m in a year or whatever, makes you realise the chances of winning the league are nil, and even the FA Cup unless you get a jammy cup run and a few upsets elsewhere, are minimal. Disheartening and sickening that the only way we'll ever win anything of note is with oil money or whatever.

Nah I don't agree, the cups are very winnable. Yeah you need a favourable draw but that's no different from any other time in history. We can hardly complain about draws - in the last five years we've played Hull, Stevenage, Brighton (twice) and West Brom, and been binned out by all of them.

If Dalglish and Gullit can get us to FA cup finals, then anyone can ffs.

Times have changed, which is the point Nut is making.

We've went out to 'inferior' teams every year for the past few years, which is the point Wullie is making.  No reason we couldn't have went a lot further in recent years.

Guest neesy111

If Dalglish and Gullit can get us to FA cup finals, then anyone can ffs.

Times have changed, which is the point Nut is making.

We've went out to 'inferior' teams every year for the past few years, which is the point Wullie is making.  No reason we couldn't have went a lot further in recent years.

Spot on.  Zero excuse for going out to those teams, our cup record has been appalling since Souness left.

We could have an amazing manager, good squad, owner everyone loves, but when clubs can go and do this and spend £80m in a year or whatever, makes you realise the chances of winning the league are nil, and even the FA Cup unless you get a jammy cup run and a few upsets elsewhere, are minimal. Disheartening and sickening that the only way we'll ever win anything of note is with oil money or whatever.

Nah I don't agree, the cups are very winnable. Yeah you need a favourable draw but that's no different from any other time in history. We can hardly complain about draws - in the last five years we've played Hull, Stevenage, Brighton (twice) and West Brom, and been binned out by all of them.

cups are arguably more winnable than they've ever been if you ask me, we have some awful luck in the draws to be fair but everytime a draw has gone our way we've committed suicide through nothing but our own ineptitude

couldn't agree more with this

cups are arguably more winnable than they've ever been if you ask me, we have some awful luck in the draws to be fair but everytime a draw has gone our way we've committed suicide through nothing but our own ineptitude

couldn't agree more with this

It's difficult to say that when Chelsea have won four of the last six. The only interlopers are that freakish Portsmouth win v Cardiff, and those other underdogs, Man City. What a beautiful encapsulation of the changes in the game, right there.

The "amazing manager, good squad, owner everyone loves" is essentially what we've been for a bit. I completely agree with Nut - you really do wonder what the point is sometimes. When the team that's just finished fourth, fifth, fourth is saying that, there's something seriously wrong.

Still, nothing new here, carry on everyone.

Sunderland bundled their way to the brink of a trip to Wembley. We could do that.

But look at the recent list of FA Cup winners. The only one close to being a surprise win was Portsmouth but even there, they had an expensive squad which it proved in the end they couldn't afford and played a Championship team.

Portsmouth's run was great in the sense of it being someone different winning it. But if you look a bit more closely, the stars damn sure aligned for them. They had one obvious stand out result - beating Man Utd so fair play there (well, after Man Utd's goalie had got sent off). But otherwise, they didn't play a single Premier League team. Their wins were 1-0, 2-1, 1-0 (a 90th minute own goal), 1-0, 1-0, 1-0. Still a great achievement but it was hardly like they were battling through hard tie after hard tie. Just a solid, well-drilled team with a couple of stand-out attacking players, a very kind draw, and bingo.

Look at the teams in the league cup semi finals man, how the f*** can you say that the cups aren't winnable?

Yeah, fair enough.

Anyhoo, some serious rumours that Adebayor might be on the way to QPR. Possible loan-to-buy.

:anguish:, except that we're supposedly making (yet another) push to get Leandro Damiao.

God, I hate the transfer window.

Look at the teams in the league cup semi finals man, how the f*** can you say that the cups aren't winnable?

Yeah, fair enough.

Anyhoo, some serious rumours that Adebayor might be on the way to QPR. Possible loan-to-buy.

:anguish:, except that we're supposedly making (yet another) push to get Leandro Damiao.

Did Ade take a massive pay cut (I assume he was on loads at City) or are City still paying him parts of his wages?

Yeah, fair enough.

Did Ade take a massive pay cut (I assume he was on loads at City) or are City still paying him parts of his wages?

Supposedly we paid Ade a big signing-on fee to cover the wage drop...which was taken out of the transfer fee, so effectively paid by Man City.