Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

A year ago we were clever and ahead of the curve in the transfer market, yet now it feels like we're behind.

Were we ????

Yeah I'd say so. We'd stolen the French market, had a few success stories and bought players that shouldve been beyond us. Cabaye, Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Ba were bargains. I felt like our transfer strategy was the best thing about the club (except the fans). But not anymore.

You said this time last year though. This time last year we bought Anita and Bigi.

Our reluctance to invest in a squad that had punched well above its weight the previous season was a major reason last season was such a disaster.

€35m? We'd never be able to compete with that. Pity, since it was my favorite CB target due to age and potential.

Go bid Thiago Silva's buyout clause*.  :pow:

*most likely to be obscene.

Would have thought Sakho will be off then. Unusual for Leonardo to go for a Brazilian from Serie A over someone more than capable.

Leonardo isn't their director of football anymore after getting an 8 month ban for pushing a linesman

Would have thought Sakho will be off then. Unusual for Leonardo to go for a Brazilian from Serie A over someone more than capable.

Leonardo isn't their director of football anymore after getting an 8 month ban for pushing a linesman

He is until the end of the transfer window.

Ban got extended to 13 months btw.

Prob got p*ssed with the extended ban on appeal.

Just read that he officially left after completing the Cavani transfer.

Edit: FFF not letting up, asking FIFA to enforce the ban worldwide ffs. :lol:

13 months for pushing a linesman FFS, do they hang you if you stamp on a ref in France? :lol:

Personally wouldn't mind if the FA had the same approach last season. :lol:

TBH, I think any club would be taking a massive gamble if they stumped up the kind of money it would take to get Ashley to sell. His fitness is still unproven.

Confident he'll be here next season.

Wrong thread, marra.

A year ago we were clever and ahead of the curve in the transfer market, yet now it feels like we're behind.

Were we ????

Yeah I'd say so. We'd stolen the French market, had a few success stories and bought players that shouldve been beyond us. Cabaye, Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Ba were bargains. I felt like our transfer strategy was the best thing about the club (except the fans). But not anymore.

You said this time last year though. This time last year we bought Anita and Bigi.

Our reluctance to invest in a squad that had punched well above its weight the previous season was a major reason last season was such a disaster.

It was a major reason, yeah. The one weakness the club showed last summer was stubbornness in negotiations (De Jong) but in general the strategy was still working and still producing bargains. We went on to prove this again with Debuchy, Sissoko, Haidara, Gouffran and MYM. What's happened now is that other PL clubs have twigged on and are raiding countries like Spain and Holland, whilst we persist with France. We're not ahead of the curve anymore.